• Humans souls are immortal.

In a discussion about the human soul, there must already be an acceptance of a creator, God. So, things created by God cannot be destroyed. The example is all around us in the world. Nothing is destroyed, it's simply converted, transferred, transmitted, or recycled. All water in the world is the same water that's been around since the beginning. Levels of water in different areas aren't indicators of lost water. The water is simply somewhere else, as water, or in a different form. The human soul is eternal, no doubt. It's a matter of where and in what form you will exist within God's creation.

• Yes, a part of each human lives on.

As a Christian, I believe that a part of each human life is immortal and lives on. The question asked should probably be about the spirit, though, since the soul is generally referring to a person's personality. The spirit is what people of some faiths believe is immortal and will live on forever. The soul could in a way, as well, since a person's personality is likely a very unique part of them. I believe something so abstract and beautiful as a soul or spirit is something that is too unique to die.

• The body does not explain our ability to reason or our knowledge of immaterial things. If the soul is immaterial, it is immortal.

We know of things like the idea of equality (two things being the same in a certain aspect) even though we have never seen the idea of "Equality". We can't see such ideas, as they are immaterial, though we can know and grasp them. How can a purely physical body give us knowledge of such immaterial concepts? The Pythagorean theorem is a completely immaterial abstraction, yet we know it exists and it's existence does not depend on us thinking about it. There must a part of us that can grasp the eternal, and this cannot be from the physical body.
    This must be an immaterial soul. How the soul is exactly connected to the body (particularly the brain) is another important debate, but it can be known without proof of God's existence that humans have a soul that is not dependent on the body. If our soul was dependent on the body we could not control our actions and would act like animals and would not be able to comprehend completely immaterial ideas. God bless you and thanks for reading.

• It really depends...

It depends on how you would define the "soul." If you define it as who we are then YES it is finite. I say this because there is no real legitimate evidence supporting the fact that anything travels from our bodies when we die (souls.) I base my opinion off science, not blind faith.

• If the human soul is immaterial, then it would make sense that it would be immortal.

If the human soul is immaterial, then it would make sense
    that it would be immortal. Most finite
    things that we know of are composed of matter.
    If the argument is made that the human soul is immaterial and
    independent of the human body, then I would assume that it would be infinite
    and immortal.

• No proof that souls exist.

As someone who is not at all religious, I have to consider this question based on the scientific evidence at hand. At this point in time, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that human souls are something apart of the physical form. So with that, we're finite, and need to make the most of the time we have here.

• They are finite

I believe human souls are finite. When you die your soul dies with you. I do not believe it continues living elsewhere. I do hope that science once day can make it immortal but likely this is not going to happen. The best we can do is try to prolong the life of the soul.

• It really depends...

• The "soul" is definitely finite

Not that we know what a "soul" technically is, nor can we prove whether or not one exists. But what makes up a person, their personality, values and morals, sense of humor, preferences, pet peeves, attractions and turn-offs, all of it can be found in the mind. Not only have we proven this with modern technology, but we've seen the outcome of severe head trauma and how it can completely change these things in people. If this colloquial definition of the word "soul" is simply who a person is, and what makes them who they are. There's not question that it is finite. No evidence or reasonable conclusion supports that any part of us travels after our body ends. We ARE our mind, once it stops, so do we.

• The soul is an illusion

Nothing at all is permanent,and it would be impossible to declare the existance of a permanent soul. If we look within the body and our system we find the many things that support and give us life, and do NOT present me with the arguement that "Everything God makes is eternal" because by that logic we as human beings are eternal since we were created by God, but we obviously are not, so that arguement falls apart.

• I don't believe souls exist.

It depends what you mean by "soul". If you mean to encompass functions of our brain such as memories, thought processing, etc., then I believe it exists but that it isn't eternal. Your brain stops working when you die; it stops receiving blood, because your heart is not receiving electrical impulses, and so on. When you die, you brain becomes mush and stops functioning, essentially. Eventually it decomposes into basic organic forms such as dirt. If we know this is true (I don't think anyone is going to argue that your brain continues working after you die, at least for more than a few seconds or minutes) then how would one's consciousness continue on? The idea of the soul is usually considered separate from the brain, from what I've noticed people believe. This concept, along with most religious concepts, seem to be ones created by humans when we knew very little about our worlds and how it worked. Now that we know so much about the brain, how can a soul exist when the brain seems to do everything that the soul was supposed to? Furthermore, we have no evidence for it. Scientists are constantly finding more about the functions of the brain, but nothing has come up about a soul or life after death. Is the soul composed of particles?

• Human souls are not eternal.

Humans souls are not eternal, but neither do they die with their host. Think of them as parasites, formed in the void, ad given a body through conception. When the body dies, the souls is torn apart in the void and formed into a new soul. This one is glad it does not have one.

Yoshi says2014-02-05T13:06:47.660
The question "Are human souls immortal (yes) or finite (no)?" assumes a soul can be measured, tested and it has a value we can represent it by.