Are humans the only species that deserves basic rights?

• Every species is entitled to basic rights

Humans aren't the only species in the world. Humans are the things that cause the most destruction yet we get the most rights. Animals are living things too and they have feelings and a heart. Though they can't speak that doesn't mean that they don't have feelings. Therefore every species deserves rights. We are all equal.

• No, everyone should have equal rights

There needs to be a good reason for certain rights not to be given to a species. You can learn a lot about a person by the way they treat non-humans. There are people who can be less than humane. Any species that is living or breathing deserves to have the same rights as people.

• No, every species is entitled to basic rights.

All species are made by God, and therefore all deserve basic rights. You can learn a lot about a person by the way he or she treats an animal. Anyone who would intentionally harm someone or something who has caused them no harm is cruel and morally bankrupt. Animals deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, just like people.

• No, everything alive has a right to life.

It is just basic that a live being has a right not to be killed for the benefit of another being. I have a large tree in my front yard that is probably forty years old. It is a beautiful and messy tree, and I have the ability to go chop it down whenever I want. Do I have the right? No, I think it is only our human obsession with how important we are that makes us think we have rights over other beings.

• No humans are not the only species that deserve basic rights

I think we should not treat animals as if they do not exist just because we can not communicate with them. Animals and their habitats deserve some respect and they should not be treated as if they are not important to this earth. I think we should salute organizations that try their best to protect animals and stop animal cruelty.