• Yes but schools are not solely to blame

Thank satan I'm no longer in school but when I was I only focussed on grades for 2 reasons #1 being that's the only thing that matters if you want to pass the school year

and my biggest reason, reason #2 is my mother, parents divorced hence why I only say my mother, in my country they grade based from 1 to 10, where as in 1-5.4 means you failed the test, 5.5-8 means you passed the test, 8.1-10 means you did a excellent job with 10 meaning you made 0 mistakes, with that out of the way I often came home to my mother with grades of 7 or 8's, she cared not and was disappointed, were I to come home with a mark below 6 she would talk about how I should learn more and nag at my head for 10 minutes. I sometimes got a 9, her response? Nothing, discarded, but a 10? A TEN? Now that she praised, however since 10 means 0 mistakes in a test naturally this only happened extremely rarely.

I started focusing on marks/grades and nothing else, quickly forgetting the information I learned from the tests I had already completed because it had to be discarded to remember the information for a different test to get the highest grade/mark possible to satisfy my mother, and while it does sound silly what child would not want praise from their own parents?

So all in all I blame both the school AND the parents

• Sure it does

I think not all kids does this but i would probabbly say 90 percent of kids does it, me personally I used to learn as much as possible as i could, but thanks to bullying (teachers and student telling me gay whereas i'm not) i fuckinng missed school, and so my grades went straight down

• Cheez cheez cheez

Cheezcheez cheez cheezcheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez

• Cheez cheez cheez

Cheez cheez cheez cheez cheezcheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheezcheezcheezcheezcheezcheezcheezcheezcheez cheezcheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez cheez

• Yes, as a student myself I can tell you that SCHOOLS focus to much on grades, and not materials.

I as a student, do not have what are considered good grades, what I do have, are many classes where I sit down and have to memorize NOT THINK. Is that what we are coming to? All we do is process info, in and out. I want to think, I want to imagine,. Which are two things that the current school system does not support. They want workers, not innovators.

• Too many children, parents, teachers, and professors, whether In public school or college/university are worried about the grades.

For the past decade, grades have been emphasized to an extreme level. Too many people (especially students) ask "is it going to be on the test?" Parents, teachers, and professors today are not focused on what the student has on their report card, rather than learning the material through learning.

• It won't be of any use in the long run for children to keep their marks up without learning.

If teachers were asked, the majority of them would agree that their main aim is to help their pupils learn, not just improve their grades. Nevertheless, marks are slowly becoming much more significant than actual learning. Parents may have caused this by worrying about their children’s' grades, whereas they should have highlighted the importance of learning instead.
    However, students can focus on finding out their own opinions and interests if they aren't so worried about their grades, and this is certain to help them develop their personality more.

• No, most kids are actually focused on school social issues, not on grades OR learning.

Many kids in school are typically not focused on grades or learning, but more on social aspects related to the dynamics of being around so many of their peers. Typically, it is the best students who focus on their grades and try to keep them at higher levels. Whether or not they focus on learning, they will be learning as a by product of caring about their grades and their assignments. Sadly, however, the norm is for students to be far too concerned over social aspects of school, and not enough about what they're really there for.