• Nothing is as it seems

It is understandable in this economy that people want money and stability as soon as possible. But I think that there is a false assumption that people can only be successful if try to latch themselves to a corporation or an industry as soon as possible. The harsh reality is that not everyone is going to be a business executive, medical professional, or scientist at age 27. You may very well reach that goal if you put everything you have into it. But there may have been other paths you could have chosen.
    Would things really be better if everyone learned supposed "hot" skills as young as possible? Not everyone who learns the "marketable" skills ends up using them. I remember reading somewhere that the best schools in the USA also had a large degree of variation in whether people had a good experience with them. Not everyone who goes to Harvard Law School or MIT is going to be in the top 20% of the class. And they shouldn't all try to be.
    I think that the value of liberal arts is that you are free to learn and explore a variety of professional and theoretical fields, rather than spend all of your time competing for the supposed "hot, marketable" field. Opportunities may open up that use one's personal, intrinsic skillets, rather than the skillets that everyone else says is important.

I bet hat there are co-workers with the same title in the same office, one who went to Mighty Practical Technical Business University, and the other who went to wishy-washy Liberal arts Playground university.

Life after college is not always sunshine and success even if one worked hard at a practical field. What really matters is finding people to support you in doing what you think is the most practical route for you to take individually. Not everyone is self-sufficient and successful because not everyone can be. There are limited spaces available. But that does not mean that there is no hope for those who don't find the common definition of success at 25.

• Yes They Are

All degrees are valuable, and that includes ones in liberal arts. That degree allows people to have more options for jobs and shows that they can commit themselves to something. Any degree is good in my opinion. Most people have jobs that is not what they majored in during college. Most employers just care that you got a degree in something.

• YES

We live in a world where the skills that you learn with a liberal arts degree are the very skills that a lot of people need the most when they graduate. You need communication skills, research skills, to have good reading comprehension, and these are all skills that you get with a liberal arts degree.

In a situation where you have a strictly return on investment situation to evaluate liberal arts degrees, they are less valuable than engineering degrees, but they are far from having no valuable at all. We still live in a society where a college degree is a leg up in a lot of situations, and most of the time people don't care what degree you have so long as you have one.

• Nope; not at all.

Think of it this: If I get a degree I can get a job, which means it's worth it. Are you one of these people? Guess what, your liberal arts degree is just there to say, "I at least went to college." Employers don't hire you because you have a degree in liberal arts; it's because you have a degree. That being said, if you were to get a degree in Business Management or Engineering you would broaden your spectrum of career opportunities.

You can get a degree in Criminal Justice and be a peace officer; not much use of the degree elsewhere. You could also get a degree in Biology and become a peace officer. The twist is that with a degree in Biology you have more opportunities. Although I specifically mentioned CJ, you can fit any degree here, really.

• Not really.

As a liberal arts degree recipient the degree is not really valuable in the current economy. The degree does not teach any real skills that are required for any particular job. The only way that they become valuable is if one pursues a post graduate degree in the subject that they study.

• Too Broad in Nature

I believe that while there is a need for that aspect of education. The Liberal Arts degree itself is too broad in nature. This generality to their degree causes them to have higher unemployment rates and not succeed in a world in which the details are important. Liberal Arts majors are generally Philosophy, Theology and big picture questioners and thinkers. While I do believe these graduates are great, "out of the box" and problem solving thinkers, which is crucial. The emphasis on being specialized in something would be to their advantage.