Are manufactures (Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, etc...) doing planned obsolescence too much to make extra profits?

Asked by: pspworld
  • HP power button is designed to fail

HP makes displays, desktops and laptops with power buttons which are designed to fail in 3 or 4 years if the device is powered on once a day. Replacement part needed for repair is very hard to obtain.

TV remote controllers have similar button design but they last 15-20 years of use without failing. Same applies to pocket calculators.

• If I can not repair it, does it even really belong to me?

How long do I want to use my consumer goods? This should be my personal choice. But in truth, it's the choice of the manufacturer. He decides on design changes, on materials use, on spare parts or Software support. I'm sad but I have to accept that even as I paid for it, it truly remains theirs to remove almost at will.

• Batteries can't be replaced

Just learned that the battery in my Samsung Tab 4, which is about two years old, is dying fast. Called to see how to replace it and was told I can't. So--battery dies, tablet dies. (Of course I can still use it--for awhile--plugged into a charger, but that defeats a main purpose of the tablet, which is to go places with me.)

• Manufacturers plan onsolescence to make more profits.

Companies only want to make money. Their entire reason for being is to make money for share holders. Of course, they make products that will break after a few years so that customers will have to buy new ones. Apple was discovered to have made a software patch for their phones which made their batteries wear out faster. Customers had no choice but to buy a new phone, which Apple had recently released.

• Apple Ipod Case

Consider the lawsuit addressed to Apple Inc. For instilling short-lived batteries in Ipods. After lithium battery's functional life of 12 months, people had to buy a new thing, because batteries were nonremovable. Apple surely succeeded in advancing in planned obsolescence and embedding it into their strategy. On the other hand, consumers share the responsibility, accepting the rules Apple set up and waiting with excitement for the new upcoming models, even though they don't differ much from the old thing.

• Any planned obsolescence is too much.

The purpose of economy is not to make profit, but to supply people with goods and services. While the search for profit is a tool to achieve the previous goal, it's not an goal by itself. Hence always that the search for profit is a prejudice to the supply of goods and services, the line has been crossed and there must be an intervention.

• Technology moves on

Planned obsolescence is NECESSARY. Technology moves on. Take Windows XP for example. Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP in less than a year, yet 30% of people still run on the vulnerable OS that is more than a decade old and lacks in modern standard. Without Microsoft dropping support, 10 years from now, people would probably still be running XP.