• If they make you feel something, sure.

Memes are all meant to say something, no matter how meaningless or stupid they may seem. They're all meant to say or comment on something, and you shouldn't even need proof for this, just look at any trashy meme on Instagram or Facebook, it's easy to see what they're trying to convey.
    Essentially, if it provokes a reaction, or feeling in you, you can call it art. So yeah, memes are art.

• Yes it is.

Art is: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Memes are exactly that. We are expressing our human creative skills through visual art like the memes we see today. Memes are also appreciated for the beauty and emotional power.

• No. I do not consider my memes as art.

I think most people who build memes try to avoid this debate. I encountered a Facebook community that called themselves Memers, and I also adopted the title.
    I make horror based memes, and created 'meme hell. Where the bad memes go'. I understand that some people just think the are just cut and paste and share... If you see a meme that has pink see-through text vertically along the right side that reads "meme hell. Where the bad memes go", I built it. I don't care if you call me an artist, a memer, or you call me stupid, I just want you to hit the like button.

• Anything that grows from inspiration to share a message with emotional or political impact ought to be considered artistic

When I build a meme to make someone laugh or think, it's the fact that I am inspired to use the materials at hand - in this case electronic media as opposed to charcoal or paint or ink - to create a piece of media in turn to carry that message - be it a political statement, an emotional connection/impression or a joke (none of which are exclusive to one another), then yes, I believe it is art.

• The day pepe changed my life

It was just like any ordinary day before college, but then out of nowhere I saw a bright white light coming from my cereal cupboard. I proceeded to open the cupboard to find a green, frog like creature staring at me. I stared at the creature and realized what I had found... A meme.

From that day forward every time I see a meme I remember that one day of how it changed my life and I can never forget the legacy of the meme.

I sexually identify as an attack helicopter.

Farewell.

• Yes, it is art.

The world around is can be considered a type of artwork. When someone takes time and uses their creativity and unique views on a subject or the world it is a form of artwork. Just because we don't always understand it, or enjoy the art, does not mean it is not art.

• Everything is Art

Art is defined as a form of expression that provokes a reaction/emotion in someone. Art is everywhere: everything has the capacity to be seen as a form of expression.

Memes are crafted by a user with the intention of evoking a response from their audience. Art never has to be complex; it can be simplistic too. A toilet seat is art, the chair you're sitting on is a work of art. Each individual possesses no right to assume what is art and what is not. In terms of memes, creating&sharing them for the sole purpose of humour and shared experiences can very much be seen as an art.

• Yes, memes are art.

The fact that comics and poems are considered to be works of art, in my opinion, also means that memes would be considered art. They are generally creative, funny, and are pasted on top of an image. The creativity and the humor I believe give them artistic value, at least in some sense.

• Are you fucking kidding me.

This shouldn't even be an argument. Art is subjective so there is no definite answer to this. It all depends on the intentions behind the meme. You can make a meme just for the sake of making a fucking meme.

And to the guy who said all things are art: you contradicted yourself in the first sentence. You stated that art "is defined as a form of expression that provokes a reaction/emotion in someone." When someone makes a toilet seat, they usually don't have a damned emotional connection to the toilet seat and they usually aren't trying to express themselves with the toilet seat. They're simply doing it because it's their job.

Not everything is art, it's only art if you intended it to be art. If I made a toilet seat with artistic intention, then it would be art. However if I made it because that was how I got payed, then it would be a job. It's the same with memes, if I made a meme because I was told to make a meme, that wouldn't be art. But if I had artistic intentions then it would. However I'm afraid most people don't have artistic vision when they're making bloody memes on the internet. So no, you're all wrong.

• Of course not

Memes are funny don't get me wrong, I always enjoy them, but it is so simple to make them that it shouldn't be considered art at all, I can just go on a generator and make a Scumbag Steve meme, but it wouldn't be art at all, people who start them can be famous for doing so but shouldn't be considered artists.

• Memes aren't art.

Art is much more complex than pasting words on a picture. Though memes do take a certain amount of imagination, they aren't painstakingly worked on on a canvas or sculpture or even in photoshop. Memes take a format that has been preset by the original poster and is then altered by others to have a different meaning, but the same general idea. It's the same picture with another joke pasted on. Don't get me wrong, some memes are really clever, the way some of them are altered, but it's not art.

• No, memes are not art since each individual views almost everything they are exposed to subjectively.

To say that memes are art, and to think they are somehow genetic or contagious from person to person is absurd. Each person sees his or her surrounding in a subjective manner meaning that every one of us by our very nature do not process information in the same way. Even if an individual has a parent who sees art one way will not be able to pass the genetic information on to others because there are to many variables that influence our perspective of the world and what is in it. For example, one person may see an object such as a flower and interpret it as beautiful because they had flowers in their yard when they were children while another individual may hate flowers because the only exposure they have ever had to flowers is at a funeral, environment play a huge part in memes and art both.