• Memes R ART

Memsjc ajdf r atrt bneauae they stre made buyr4 people anf pworple make nart rso that mnemeans meme a t e art. So yeah doent even quaetion if mwm are art b ecuare it makes me triggered and io will ridicule you if you dont salileqnm mey oppi nio n so yoy bettter think memes are art becasue they arre. Ik wkill get the mwme lord pee kto cum to ur house ane meme you to submisiion you inslolint normie.

• Viva le Memes!

It is the truest form of art there is! No matter what y'all say, memes are here to stay. We all know of things that have marked history, well memes will surely be one of them. And as I said before, memes, it is the truest form of art there is!

• Yes they should be.

Memes are a way for people to experience emotions and get across ideas not just with words. However, it seems that meme culture is more like the wild west, where memes are stolen all the time. To make memes a more solid form of art, a crediting system would be astoundingly beneficial to meme creators, so that people know who makes their favorite type, or is their favorite creator.

• Memes are definitely art.

Personally, I believe that memes should be considered art.

This is true because the definition of art is, “the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.,” and memes fit this description.

My reasoning for this is that memes do express feelings and emotions and can also be aesthetically pleasing.

Some people may say that memes are just jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously, and in this very debate, someone says, “Many people will find a piece of art to be moving and motivate them to do something great. Memes on the other do nothing good for the community they cause fights and other issues that do not benefit the community. A piece of art must take time and true effort to be considered art.”

The poster of this argument says that art motivates people to do great things, but this is simply not true. If their definition of “great things” is producing more art, than they have proved the claim that memes are art. Memes spread like wildfire, which means people are being inspired to do great things.

• Memes save me

Without memes, the internet is an un-ironically depressing and dull place filled with dark realities. Memes are the only thing which keep many internet users from suicide. They are an unfiltered vent for all frustration being converted into something which the universe has never experienced before the last 13 years of its existence. As an Artistically minded person, i find memes overly relateable, especially in recent days where my life has started taking a downhill spiral. Memes have shown me that there are others out there quietly suffering with me. And that just slightly numbs the internal pain and keeps me going day by day. Meme by meme.

• I don't see why not

I mean, they are a creative medium of expression for the public at large to enjoy. It doesn't matter how much effort is put in to them. Plenty of rappers just spew lyrics onto a page and they are still considered artists and since that's the case, meme designers should be considered artists as well.

• I don't see why not

• I don't see why not

• I don't see why not

I mean, they are a creative medium of expression and people enjoy them. Effort doesn't have a lot to do with it, many rappers just kinda say stuff and are still considered artists for it. Plenty of things don't require effort but are still considered art, and memes are art.

• I don't see why not

• Why would they be considered art

Many people will find a piece of art to be moving and motivate them to do something great. Memes on the other do nothing good for the community they cause fights and other issues that do not benefit the community. A piece of art must take time and true effort to be considered art.

• Memes are farts not art

A poet by the name of Owen Mason-Hill once wrote, "Memes are beams which have seen the creme." If that doesn't clear it up, I don't know what will.

X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

• Well, uh, technically, nah.

Art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination." Memes can take effort and creativity in the way that hey are adapted, such as memes centered around editing other media in a way that relates it to the meme. However, many are mere phrases and captions that require no effort. It all depends on the meme, the user and how it is used, but in general, memes are not art.

• No, the vast majority of them are taking a picture and slapping some text onto it.

There is usually next to no effort put into them whatsoever and all they are is literally following trends. I can't see how someone taking a stock photo and taking a few seconds of their time to type some dumb caption can be put in the same category as Starry Night or Mona Lisa. No exaggeration, a child's doodle of a bunny takes more effort then memes. Are we going to call that a work of art? It's human expression isn't it? How about the shit I took? That took more effort and time to make memes and it's technically human expression. Are we going to hang that in a museum and call it art too?

• No. I do not consider my memes as art.

I think most people who build memes try to avoid this debate. I encountered a Facebook community that called themselves Memers, and I also adopted the title.
    I make horror based memes, and created 'meme hell. Where the bad memes go'. I understand that some people just think the are just cut and paste and share... If you see a meme that has pink see-through text vertically along the right side that reads "meme hell. Where the bad memes go", I built it. I don't care if you call me an artist, a memer, or you call me stupid, I just want you to hit the like button.

• Are you fucking kidding me.

This shouldn't even be an argument. Art is subjective so there is no definite answer to this. It all depends on the intentions behind the meme. You can make a meme just for the sake of making a fucking meme.

And to the guy who said all things are art: you contradicted yourself in the first sentence. You stated that art "is defined as a form of expression that provokes a reaction/emotion in someone." When someone makes a toilet seat, they usually don't have a damned emotional connection to the toilet seat and they usually aren't trying to express themselves with the toilet seat. They're simply doing it because it's their job.

Not everything is art, it's only art if you intended it to be art. If I made a toilet seat with artistic intention, then it would be art. However if I made it because that was how I got payed, then it would be a job. It's the same with memes, if I made a meme because I was told to make a meme, that wouldn't be art. But if I had artistic intentions then it would. However I'm afraid most people don't have artistic vision when they're making bloody memes on the internet. So no, you're all wrong.

• Of course not

Memes are funny don't get me wrong, I always enjoy them, but it is so simple to make them that it shouldn't be considered art at all, I can just go on a generator and make a Scumbag Steve meme, but it wouldn't be art at all, people who start them can be famous for doing so but shouldn't be considered artists.

• Memes aren't art.

Art is much more complex than pasting words on a picture. Though memes do take a certain amount of imagination, they aren't painstakingly worked on on a canvas or sculpture or even in photoshop. Memes take a format that has been preset by the original poster and is then altered by others to have a different meaning, but the same general idea. It's the same picture with another joke pasted on. Don't get me wrong, some memes are really clever, the way some of them are altered, but it's not art.

• No, memes are not art since each individual views almost everything they are exposed to subjectively.

To say that memes are art, and to think they are somehow genetic or contagious from person to person is absurd. Each person sees his or her surrounding in a subjective manner meaning that every one of us by our very nature do not process information in the same way. Even if an individual has a parent who sees art one way will not be able to pass the genetic information on to others because there are to many variables that influence our perspective of the world and what is in it. For example, one person may see an object such as a flower and interpret it as beautiful because they had flowers in their yard when they were children while another individual may hate flowers because the only exposure they have ever had to flowers is at a funeral, environment play a huge part in memes and art both.