• Let´s look at some definitions...

Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
    Pop Art: art based on modern popular culture and the mass media, especially as a critical or ironic comment on traditional fine art values.

I believe memes do fall into these definitions. Memes do require less effort but effort does not define art. Art is defined by expression. Memes are an expression of the memers feelings. Political memes push a political narrative and want the reader to see their point of view. Ironic Memes satire the ideals of pop culture and comedy. Relatable memes push the memers childhood or current feelings on the reader. Even pure comedic memes want to invoke an emotion on the reader. Comedy is an art, with rules and principles. Memes follow this format. A set up (top text) and a punchline (bottom text). Even though this meme format is outdated, it is a good example of how memes (as simplistic as they are) they follow the rules of art.
    Effort is very important to High Art but memes are more similar to Pop Art. In conclusion, based on the definitions and meme culture, art is a new form of art. It is very exciting and we should embrace and enjoy it! They´re memes guys. Let´s enjoy them.

• Meme creators are far more talented than so-called "artists" like Kanye or Beyonce.

Memes help people come together, to support a common cause. They help people overcome differences they may have, and they cause all great joy and hope. This cannot be said by most other artists and genres of art, as they often divide and polarize people. Moreover, meme creators spend lots of time to create perfect memes and craft them so more people can understand and laugh. This cannot be said for artists like Boyonce or Kanye, who simply read a pre-written script. Therefore, memes are not only art, but they are the epitome of all art that all should try to achieve.

• Memes can be considered as art

Don't get me wrong, I respect artists and am an artist myself, but I do believe memes can be seen as art. Nowadays, modern art is nothing special honestly. Put yellow and blue stripes on a canvas and you can sell it for millions if you are well known enough. It's really just how known an artist is, not the quality of its "modern" art.

• Memes can be considered as art

• Memes can be considered as art

• Memes can be considered as art

• Memes are amazing

Memes need thought and is much harder to create than actual art , so i believe they are higher than art so therefore if you don't like memes ur mom gay , and yo daddy lesbian add me on ifunny @ ithinkistoleit i post fresh memes every single day .

• Memes are amazing

• Memes are amazing

• Memes are amazing

• I don't think they are art.

While I think that they are definitely inspired by, or similar to, pop art, i think that memes can't be art. It's because the intention of the people making them, is not for it to be art, but rather comedy. The people behind the memes don't expect it to have a huge emotional impact behind it, and they don't have any meaning beside making people laugh.

• Not art as they have no emotion or thought, merely a joke including an image

Although they express the public's feelings towards society, they are more aptly described as a joke. Much like a newspapers cartoon they are made to be casually glanced at, draw a smile from the reader before being forgotten in the hum drum of everyday life. Some memes may have a cult following (Shrek) but that more displays the boredom of today's generation than a potential for being referred to as art.

• Why would they be considered art

Many people will find a piece of art to be moving and motivate them to do something great. Memes on the other do nothing good for the community they cause fights and other issues that do not benefit the community. A piece of art must take time and true effort to be considered art.

• Memes are farts not art

A poet by the name of Owen Mason-Hill once wrote, "Memes are beams which have seen the creme." If that doesn't clear it up, I don't know what will.

X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

• Well, uh, technically, nah.

Art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination." Memes can take effort and creativity in the way that hey are adapted, such as memes centered around editing other media in a way that relates it to the meme. However, many are mere phrases and captions that require no effort. It all depends on the meme, the user and how it is used, but in general, memes are not art.

• No, the vast majority of them are taking a picture and slapping some text onto it.

There is usually next to no effort put into them whatsoever and all they are is literally following trends. I can't see how someone taking a stock photo and taking a few seconds of their time to type some dumb caption can be put in the same category as Starry Night or Mona Lisa. No exaggeration, a child's doodle of a bunny takes more effort then memes. Are we going to call that a work of art? It's human expression isn't it? How about the shit I took? That took more effort and time to make memes and it's technically human expression. Are we going to hang that in a museum and call it art too?

• No. I do not consider my memes as art.

I think most people who build memes try to avoid this debate. I encountered a Facebook community that called themselves Memers, and I also adopted the title.
    I make horror based memes, and created 'meme hell. Where the bad memes go'. I understand that some people just think the are just cut and paste and share... If you see a meme that has pink see-through text vertically along the right side that reads "meme hell. Where the bad memes go", I built it. I don't care if you call me an artist, a memer, or you call me stupid, I just want you to hit the like button.

• Are you fucking kidding me.

This shouldn't even be an argument. Art is subjective so there is no definite answer to this. It all depends on the intentions behind the meme. You can make a meme just for the sake of making a fucking meme.

And to the guy who said all things are art: you contradicted yourself in the first sentence. You stated that art "is defined as a form of expression that provokes a reaction/emotion in someone." When someone makes a toilet seat, they usually don't have a damned emotional connection to the toilet seat and they usually aren't trying to express themselves with the toilet seat. They're simply doing it because it's their job.

Not everything is art, it's only art if you intended it to be art. If I made a toilet seat with artistic intention, then it would be art. However if I made it because that was how I got payed, then it would be a job. It's the same with memes, if I made a meme because I was told to make a meme, that wouldn't be art. But if I had artistic intentions then it would. However I'm afraid most people don't have artistic vision when they're making bloody memes on the internet. So no, you're all wrong.

• Of course not

Memes are funny don't get me wrong, I always enjoy them, but it is so simple to make them that it shouldn't be considered art at all, I can just go on a generator and make a Scumbag Steve meme, but it wouldn't be art at all, people who start them can be famous for doing so but shouldn't be considered artists.

• Memes aren't art.

Art is much more complex than pasting words on a picture. Though memes do take a certain amount of imagination, they aren't painstakingly worked on on a canvas or sculpture or even in photoshop. Memes take a format that has been preset by the original poster and is then altered by others to have a different meaning, but the same general idea. It's the same picture with another joke pasted on. Don't get me wrong, some memes are really clever, the way some of them are altered, but it's not art.