Are militant atheists trying to destroy Christmas?

• If not, who else will?

Modern Christmas is a vulgar obscenity: the hypocrisies; the gluttonous consumption; the mandatory travel to people you don't especially like; the obligatory cards with canned sentiments you don't really feel; the Christian appropriation of pagan ritual; the commercial appropriation of Christian ceremony; the mindless jingles masquerading as music; the greedy and cynical exchange of consumer clutter that nobody needs.

Christians can't reform the perversity that Christmas has become -- they *created* it with their own gluttonous hypocrisy. So for the sake of integrity, decency and self-respect, pray that "militant" atheists do so.

(Just waiting for someone to design the uniform. :D)

• Christmas has little to do with Christ now

In western society Christmas is traditionally celebrated as a christian holiday. It is considered as a holy day of obligation, the actual date of the holiday is irrelevant to what is actually being celebrated. For almost two millennia it has the day on which christians celebrate the birth of christ, modern christmas is more about getting gifts than anything else. To be fair, this is more the result of consumerism than militant atheists, but I do believe the atheists are trying to pull the religion out of the holiday whilst leaving the physical holiday intact.

• "Christmas" minus "Christ"

I would like to start this comment by saying that I mean no disrespect regardless of your religious faith or lack thereof: Christmas is being considered more and more politically incorrect every year. Less and less people dare wish you "merry Christmas" and the Christmas portrayed is anything but Christmas. The other day, I actually saw a commercial for Sonic, I believe, about their seasonal shake flavors and whatnot. The people in the commercial mentioned the celebration of the "Winter Solstice" season multiple times rather than Christmas. This is a bit of stretch and seems to quite bluntly try and ignore Christmas. Heck, my little brother's school is doing a "secret snowman" gift exchange because saying "secret santa" shows religious favoritism! Even though the commercialized Christmas completely neglects the true reason of its celebration (the birth of the Christ), promoting a holiday with this meaning is too dangerous in the eyes of radical Atheists who don't tolerate belief in this God. Even if Christmas isn't officially ended but rather is seized of its religious value, it will still be destroyed in this way.

• "Christmas" minus "Christ"

• Billboards in the guise of free speech when basically it is just to insult people in their holiest day

Lets face it, Atheist want to put up billboards for one thing it is just to insult Christian in the holiest day in the guise of free speech.. What possible excuse could they give about that.. Militant Atheist say they don't want to to destroy X-mas .. They mean their kind of X-mas for any other kind especially te religious kind then insult is free game ...

• Yes

Militant Atheists are trying to destroy everything related to religion. I am not a religious person but there is a minority in the Atheist community that makes it as a whole look abysmal, and this is it. Don't let the irony of their war against religion be lost on you when one of its main talking points is how religion forces its beliefs on others.

• No Not Necessarily

Atheists are not trying to destroy Christmas ,we are simply trying to make Christians realize that they hold no claim to December 25th as a holy day. Christians act like militant atheists are trying to attack their religion when it quite the opposite ,we are trying to make Christians understand that their religion has stolen many things from other religions and either demonized them such as the god from Greek mythology pan becoming what is modernly depicted as the Christian devil or the pagan winter solstice becoming Christmas. I celebrate what many call Christmas myself, but not because I am trying to seem vain and obtain presents for no reason, but because Christmas wasn't originally a Christian holiday and to me still isn't .

• Not at all.

We atheists do not try to "destroy Christmas". In fact, Christmas today is basically a time to spend time with our families, exchange gifts, sing songs, etc. Now, I myself am sill growing up with my Jewish family, so we never celebrated Christmas. What pisses us off is when the law ends up preferring one religion over another, which I'm sure violates some part of the US Constitution (I'm Canadian).

• No

Atheists aren't trying to destroy Christmas. A lot of atheists celebrate Christmas. Despite its namesake, Christmas no longer has much to do with Jesus Christ. It is oriented with Santa Claus, presents and such. I don't see why anyone would try to destroy Christmas, much less atheists. The arguments for saying that militant atheists are trying to destroy Christmas are invalid.

• What?

Trying to destroy Christmas? I know it's anecdotal, but all the people I know who are atheists love Christmas. The only thing I've seen atheists do is point out how Christmas predates Christianity and that many of its traditions have pagan roots. IE, Jesus is not, in fact, the reason for the season. Destroying Christmas wouldn't make sense! It's an excuse to buy gifts for people and be festive, as well a time to spend with the people you care about. Oh, and it's a day off. No group of "rational thinkers" would get try to get rid of that, nor do they seem to be trying.

• No militant atheists are not destroyig Christmas

I can not see how militant atheists are trying to destroy Christmas. People today perceive Christmas as many different holidays. Christian see it and appreciate Christmas because it was the day Jesus was born. Others such as but not all Atheists perceive Christmas as a holiday of gifts and presents around loved ones.

• No, that's just silly.

Militant atheists are not trying to destroy Christmas. Firstly, the heart and soul of Christmas lies in those who celebrate it, practicing religious people or Atheists. Secondly, militant atheists have better things to do other than ruin a holiday like that. They are trying to abolish religion, not a celebration. That's just a waste of their time.

• No

Atheists are not trying to destroy Christmas. In fact, many atheists love and celebrate Christmas too. Everyone loves to get in the holiday spirit. Christian communities are just trying to play the victim here, even though they still hold a majority of power in the country. It's just an unattractive temper tantrum.