• To a point yes

To a point some teens do need their phones because with some people when they are angry or upset and uneasy all they need is to put some music on there phone or play a game , music on a teens phone can help them do there work or make them feel better.
    Me as a 16 year old girl I know that when I'm uneasy and upset my music helps me feel a lot better!

• Yes it can help you when your lost and in bad stuation

Me myself agree that people should have phones it is good for many reasons like entertainment,communication,when your lost, your in a bad situations everyone should have a phone but then again theres a dark side like hacking and cyberbullying but then again its good for you to have it this is why i strongly believe that everyone should have a phone

• Yes, they are.

If you're feeling upset and angry, and no one wants to listen to you, a phone can be your best friend!! Whenever I'm feeling a certain way, I start playing music and then I start to feel better real fast.
    Also, phones are used to access information that you need at a certain time!!

• Yes it does.

As a generation where information and communication can be easily access through a smart phone the world has been more efficient. Mobile/smartphones are also beneficial to a student. It can be used as a tool to look up information easier and faster. As a student I spend a lot of my time on my phone. 70% of the time I research stuff during my free time without the hassle of having a book or a computer to carry. Although it could be a distraction but with the right discipline it's a great and beneficial tool.

• We should not rely on material possessions to make us happy

Teenagers do not need phones. They might make you happy when you listen to music or play games, but when you rely on a material possession to make you happy you will inevitably be unhappy many times in your life. Then you won't have anything to make or keep you happy without your phone, because you get attached and feel that your phone is the ONLY thing that makes you happy.

• It seems the word necessary is hardly defined by a simple definition

In order for something to necessary, you first have to observe the situation. In this circumstance, part of the situation has already been founded. Teenagers. Teenagers go to school, parties, sporting events, concerts, and often spend time with friends. Of course there are exceptions to this, as there are exceptions to everything. Yet a constant relying on phones is not useful or necessary. For teenagers or anyone. Back in the old days they used telegraphs, or phone booths, and to me, this situation seems far more self-reliant than this mobile phone nonsense. Yet NECESSARY... Quite a tricky word. You could say it's necessary for us to survive on this earth. Yet everyone eventually dies. You could say it's necessary that you're not fired from your job. Yet everyone has opposition in their lives, and if they live through it, it makes them better, if they don't, that's what was supposed to happen. The very words necessary implies you rely on something. Today, it seems impossible to LIVE without our phones... Yet they did back then.. They did back then.