Are most anti-marijuana politicians hypocrites?

Asked by: MasturDbtor
  • Republican Assemblyman Steve Katz BUSTED with marijuana while speeding

New York Republican Assemblyman Steve Katz was pulled over for speeding and the police found marijuana and arrested him. Steve Katz is known for being against marijuana. And he serves on the Assembly Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Committee. I bet this guy is just the tip of the iceberg with many other politicians who pretended to be against marijuana being fond users of it and even those anti-marijuana politicians who don't partake often have their own skeletons in their closets.

• I believe most politicians are hypocrites period.

I know not all are bad, but you hear so much on the radio or television that another public official has been arrested for drug use. They slam their fist down and declare all drug use illegal, then go home a light one up. We've even had hypocritical presidents who smoke marijuana. The question was most, not all, and in my opinion, most are hypocrites.

• List of United States politicians who admit to cannabis use

I guess there are a few questions that need to be addressed to properly answer this question.

If I am an elected official that won because the majority of voters in my state voted for me, and the majority of those voters are against legalizing marijuana and I vote against a bill to legalize medical marijuana, even though I smoke or have smoked marijuana, does that really make me a hypocrite? I was elected to represent the people’s voice, not my voice.

N.Y. Assemblyman Steve Katz sits on Assembly committees for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, as well as Higher Education; and he did vote against a bill for medical marijuana. I fail to see how that makes him a hypocrite.

He could have a myriad of reasons for why he thinks medical marijuana is wrong for New York, e.g., no conclusive proof that it helps, the negative side effects outweigh all the unproven alleged positive medical benefits, and other non-addictive drugs work as well or better. So, voting against medical marijuana does not make N.Y. Assemblyman Steve Katz a hypocrite.

Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama; Vice President Al Gore, Governor Sarah Palin, Senators John Kerry, Connie Mack III, …, all have admitted they tried marijuana; does that make them hypocrites for not wanting to legalize marijuana for recreational or medical use?

Of course not!

They too could have a have a myriad of reasons for why they think marijuana should never be legalized.

At least 42% of the USA population has tried marijuana once in their lifetime; about 1% smoke it daily.,8599,1821697,00.html

So, if 35% of those 42% no longer smoke marijuana and believe it is a very harmful drug that never should be legalized for any reason, does that make them hypocrites?

Of course not!

I bet all the politicians break the speed limit every once and awhile. If they vote to lower the speed limit, does that make them hypocrites?

Of course not!

Politicians that once tried marijuana who are now anti-marijuana are not hypocrites. They now know how dangerous legalizing marijuana would be for America.

• No, probably not.

I am sure, like any large group of people, that there is of course a few who are hypocrites, but that does not mean the whole lot of them are. One bad apple does not mean the rest are just as rotten. Not everyone follows how one person acts, sometimes they see how bad that person is and know to keep themselves clean.