Are most religious people secretly agnostic?

Asked by: zalama
  • I say yes.

I believe most religious people just follow in their parent's footsteps and follow a certain religion but inside they don't really know if their god exists or if he/she is the real god. I think we have religion mainly for comfort and a moral guide book but our lack of proof of a divine being doesn't solidify our belief.

• Of course they are. Everyone is.

People seem to be really misinformed on the definition of 'agnostic'. Agnostic means to not know. Since when has an atheist or any religious person claimed to 100% KNOW that God does or doesn't exist. All religions are based on belief (not necessarily faith. They are two different things) as well as not believing in God being a belief. A Christian is and Agnostic Christian as they BELIEVE in God but don't KNOW and an Atheist is an Agnostic Atheist as they DON'T BELIEVE in God but don't claim to KNOW he doesn't exist. Everyone is Agnostic. God is unfalsifiable. You can't KNOW either way.

• We're in doubt.

Most people would not admit to it, but many have lost their faith during hardships. Some may regain their faith when they are able to move on, but saying that hardships are tests is like not having a goat for the sacrifice; there will be a great pain, and there is no intervention.

• Only If they are truly honest with themselves.

No one can honestly know if religion is true, they can only have faith that it is true. And faith by definition is believing in something without sufficient evidence. So by definition all religious people who clam to have faith are actually admitting they are agnostic without even knowing it.

• The weakness of believers.

Most of the people I have known who claim to believe they are certain there is a God have also admitted they are frightened of dying, I think this must indicate that they are not as certain of the existence of God or an afterlife as they say they are. No matter how much they claim to thoroughly believe in their faith there is always some doubt remaining for the majority of them.

• There is a higher power at play.

Where demons lurk, angels exist. This is just something I tell myself when I hear a topic concerning the existence of God. I'm very much agnostic because I simply disagree with some of the versus in the bible for various reasons. The language that is used in the bible creates confusion for some people and I believe it makes it hard for them to understand the information in the text. Some people were forced by their parents at a young age and it eventually became a tradition.

• Please understand definitions.

"A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God." This is the definition of agnostic. You may argue that religious people are wrong, or ignorant about what they believe, but you can't rationally argue that they truly believe that nothing is known or can be known of the nature of a God.

• No, they're not.

Based on my experience, and my own religious beliefs I used to have, I can say with confidence that most religious people do actually believe that God exists. In fact, to call them agnostic is really absurd. Most of them claim to know that God exists, and that they have experienced him.

• No, as they do not fall under the definition of the word.

Agnostic is according to Oxford Dictionaries, "A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God."

A religious person has faith. Which by Oxford Dictionaries definition is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

By the definitions alone, a religious person cannot be agnostic as they are holding to the faith that there is a God even though they cannot prove it.

• Absolutely no way..

Most religious people I know are adamant that God exists. Some say they have felt Gods presence. I've often heard 'God helped me through the most difficult time in my life'. This doesn't suggest to me that these people have an agnostic view on religion. I'm sure there are some but getting them to admit it is another thing.

• People are crazy is what I say haha.

See if they are one of the most religious people they will not be agnostic because of the fact that there's nothing keeping them from believing in what they believe in now if they ACT like they are the most religious person then yea sure they can be secretly agnostic. See take me into explain, I am a Christian, I know where my heart belongs, I am not scared to die because I know where I will go if I die. That place is Heaven, how I know is because there's always a voice inside of your head or inside your gut when you know something is the truth. I stand by my Faith on a purpose, not because my parents make me. They never made me go to church, I've almost always woke my parents up for church, and if I didn't wake them up they'll just turn my light on every sunday morning and I'll get dressed within seconds later. I never cared how I looked, how many girls can say that? But really, how many girls you know that can say they are a poud Believer and don't care how they look or dress.

• Of course not.

Religious people usually believe very strongly in what is canon for their religion of choice. Understanding what [religious] means is key here. The word means that they are the conscious practitioners of a faith system and members of the associated societies/groups. Agnosticism in this respect can also be a religion, it's all a matter of perspective. I think the author of the question meant something like, "are most religious people secretly non-believers".