• The work effort they apply is no where above the general population of workers.

I rap and sing myself. I can also create music foundations. I have almost 30 songs that will likely never be produced. Making music does not feel like work to me at all. I can make a song in about 5 minutes. Actually, most of my songs, start from my 'soul' and they come out naturally in vocal form as a rap or singing. I have yet to get equal opportunity to make music. I run into issues with my character and originality getting rapped. Many want a young girl willing to put on the façade, in hopes to promote her and get a label agreement. If you have money and talent, you can get the basic needed equipment for approximately 4 grand. You likely want a base and drum player, for music foundation, rather than computer (logix pro, for example). Live base and drum is way better than computer and it does make a pretty significant difference. The way most of these 'stars' go about travel and live performances, is .......Overspending and no where near efficient. 'Stars' become overrated. There are millions of people with talent not getting equal chances and or recognized. For example, Ariana Grande, who was a teen. She did not make music foundations, wrote music and or play an instrument. She was younger, average attractiveness and can sing, alike the many who can. What input and above average talent does she have? She is young, willing to embellish herself and sing another persons creativity (lyrics). I could write a book on this, but I will keep it brief. You created money and enables bias and desire body to influence price. Therefore, you are asking for the chain of reaction to result to, SEX, LUST, FRUAD and DRUGS, being the causes of attracting the most amount of money. Many are also dependent on others for entertainment and have yet to develop their own talents. Then you ad the natural deceit of only a few 'stars' getting projected to the mass; you get a very flawed perspective of what they are and how significant their 'talent' really is.

• Some Musicians are overpaid especially rap and pop stars from the mainstream charts!

Most of them didn't went to university-Most of them have no intellectual knowledege. They just got so successful because the mainstream people only want tho hear easy listening songs which brain washes them.Rap and Popstars get highly publicized and have a massive marketing team behind them .Otherwise they wouldn't be relevant. Yet other bands make quality music ans are very dedicated and they song lyrics evolve round more things than just,love,crime glitz and glamour.Yet they don't get the attention they should get-And that is a shame-People spend 5 up to 10 years of going to university to get higher education and to think deep.They spend up to 11-12 hours per day working in an office yet they only get to earn not more than between 1000-8000 per month as a salary-buts they work pretty hard and even suffer from burn out.Bit then you have thee unintelligent superficial pop and rap stars who make millions a year but don't know anything about literature or politics or poverty in the world.And that is something I can not tolerate nor understand.

• What are they getting paid for exactly, and what 'musicians'?

I think "musician" is one of those words that gets thrown around so much lately that it's meaning has been saturated to meaning literally anyone that makes noise. Of course, this all depends on your musical preference, and without any attempt to insult anyone's musical taste, I think certain 'musicians' certainly do get more that what they deserve. My answer is mainly based around pop and electronic 'musicians' . Take into account that in the 21st century, a musician's salary is not only dependent upon what they produce (i.E their music), but things such as product placement in their songs, whether their music is used in blockbuster movies/popular tv shows and advertisement appearances to name a few are significant contributing factors towards their pay. The pay is no longer about the music, but everything else. Now, are these really what we used to associate with musicians? Classical musicians that perform in orchestras and such, or blues/jazz performers get paid a vast amount less than the majority of current pop stars/electronic 'musicians'. Not because they are less talented by any means, but simply because the music is not 'mainstream' and companies do not capitalize on them for the benefit of their brand.
    So whether their pay is justifiable, I can't say. In an ideal world, musicians would be paid based on their talent, like everyone else. After all, it is a profession like any other. A surgeon is payed more than a nurse, because he is more intelligent, which is part of his 'talent'. But talent in music comes down to personal opinion, so I guess that would be difficult to justify.

• Yes they are overpaid.

Singers don't contribute anything to society while other useful member are overworked and underappreciated.
    Despite the fact that only a handful of very successful musicians haul in the big bucks, they are still overpaid. Regular people all over the world are just as, if not more hardworking, dedicated and gutsy. Writing a song and performing it successfully is indeed commendable but truckers who drive from one side of the country to the other in order to deliver products we need , police officers who look for criminals and keep the citizens safe, and teachers who educate our kids (the future), are paid way less than successful singers, according to Hannah0012, these above mentioned professions should be getting millions because they are more dedicated, hardworking and gutsy than singers.
    P.S people that think singers should be getting paid a lot of money usually are interested in joining the industry, I don't have any proof for that statement but according to the observations its usually true and your disdain for actors furthers substantiates it.

• Because They Earned the Money Legitimately.

I don't get how people think that musicians are being overpaid because they aren't "contributing anything" to society. It is absolutely ridiculous. If a lot of people are willing to pay to listen to the music, then the musicians should be able to reap the fruits of their labor. It doesn't matter how hard they work to earn the money, as long as people are willing to pay to see them perform. Naturally, if Musicians become less popular, less people will want to see them sing, and the musicians will no longer be earning big salaries. That's how the cookie crumbles.

• Not if they earn their money legitimately.

If you sell a product or service that a lot of people like, then a lot of people will pay you for it. Musicians are in no way different than an entrepreneur making a new and popular product. Why would a person not earn what people pay them for their product?

• Musicians are absolutely not overpaid.

First of all, most musicians are hardly paid at all, and only so many are able to sustain themselves based upon it. Unless you are born with lots of money (as many are but most are not), then breaking into the business takes an immense amount of effort and talent. Even musicians who started out with a silver spoon in their mouth need to sell their stuff and perform. Most musicians are underpaid and even the big name musicians earning a ton of money aren't paid out of proportion. They have something other people want, so people pay for it and they make money. Simple as that.

• Absolutely. Not. They deserve every penny.

Musicians are not overpaid. It takes hard work and dedication and guts to be a musician. My favorite musicians write their on music so they deserve the fame and money they have. For actors I am not so sure especially when they just show up and say lines (i know its a lot more work than that but bear with me) and they dont write the movies.