• 3 to 4 hours

No timeouts. No breaks. No halftime. No in between innings. True most races have some cautions due to wrecks but some have gone without one. Try driving at those speeds, g-forces, and concentration involved for 3 to 4 hours and see if you think it's not athletic. All the best drivers today have to have a strict workout schedule to be at the top. Even the pit crews today have to be in top shape to perform the crucial 13 second pit stop. Until you race, sorry but your negative opinion is a incorrect guess.

• Yes they are,

NASCAR drivers are athletes, for a multitude of factors, one is that they have amazing focus, they have to keep both eyes on the track, and dodge accidents in the blink of an eye at 200 MPH, 2.NASCAR doesn't use power steering, when the car spins, the drivers have to use a lot of strength to keep the car under control, they drivers have to deal with intense G forces in every turn for four hours, even Shaq was tired out after racing in an exhibition race with Dale Earnhardt Jr, it was actually only 20 laps, just imagine 200 laps

• Nascar drivers being athletes

I think nascar drivers are athletes. They go 200mph and lose 6-10lbs per race. Most athletes don't do anything close to that. Donavan mcnabb even said they are more than athletes. The g-force on there back is alot and to do that for 3 or more hours is very amazing.

• Nascar drivers being athletes

• They are athletes

Nascar racers are very conditioned and trained , in their car it's 140+ degrees! They loose about 16 pounds in water weight per race, on each turn they are supporting 40 pounds of. G force with their neck, try doing that 800-1000 times. They fight G force with their whole body for hours and hours

• Yes they are

Yes they are. I need not explain. Go to the track and try to do what the race drivers do. Do it for fun. Now imagine it is real. When you do something for fun it seems easy but as soon as it becomes real it becomes far more difficult

• Yes they are

• You better believe it!!!!

Watch the documentary in which Shaquille O'Neal (Shaq) takes on Dale Earnhardt Jr. In a 20 lap "exhibition race", in a stock car, and see Shaq's reaction at the end of it. He literally crawls out of the car, and lays on the pavement, saying "That is the hardest thing I've ever done!!!" - and, you get the idea he means it!! - and that's 20 laps - NOT 500 miles!! - you figure it out.

• G Forces and Wind

These people must contend with high g forces going round those corners at 200 mph. While this by itself may not be difficult, you are doing this for more than 3 hours at a time. Other sports give you breaks. Not in NASCAR. Also if you have 8 cars going 200 mph around a corner together, imagine the turbulent air with these cars. The amount of focus, strength, and concentration you need is so strong.

• Yes fo Shure

Imagine that you have a child in the back seat of a car. You have to be trained in order to make that turn around the track without hurting the child. This is why NASCAR athletes are athletes. They care about their families, not about what they eat for dinner

• NASCAR drivers are not athletes.

I can't deny that they constantly deal with heavy G-force and have to have strong neck and back muscles to do that....But a fat kid can have strong neck and back muscles just from carrying his heavy weight around. You don't have to be in shape to be a race car driver, you just have to condition your breathing, have quick reaction time, and strong back/neck muscles....And fat kids with amazing reaction times play video games commonly. Out of shape people can learn how to breath a certain way, and power steering is used in NASCAR. Matter of fact, Elliot Sadler was on his way to what should have been his first victory in Cup racing in the June race at Dover back in 2005, when his power steering went out causing him to get only a top 10 finish. NASCAR drivers rely on machines to win, not their personal conditioning. Could Tony Stewart play a full FIFA match? Only on the Xbox

• Do athletes sit around?

When has sitting down ever require athletic ability. Never. When think of an athlete you think of someone that trains countless hours to build muscles to improve there physical capabilities. These drivers just drive everyday so technically anyone that is over 16 is just as good as any NASCAR driver. It is pathetic when people say that it calls for athletic ability. If you say that they are athletic then Santa is real.

• Nascar drivers are not athletes.

Nascar is not even a sport. It is ridiculous to even think that people who just sit in a car and steer are considered athletes. Maybe if they are pushing the car then they might be considered athletes. I can drive and you don't consider me an athlete.
    Not
    Athletic
    Sport
    Centered
    Around
    Rednecks

• Nascar drivers are not athletes.

Not
    Athletic
    Sport
    Centered
    Around
    Rednecks

• Nascar drivers are not athletes.

Not
    Athletic
    Sport
    Centered
    Around
    Rednecks

• Nascar drivers are not athletes.

Not
    Athletic
    Sport
    Centered
    Around
    Rednecks

• NASCAR requires skill rather than athleticism

If you are an intense gamer you will know that it takes skill and practice to maintain a good kills to deaths ratio in Call Of Duty. The same skill and practice is required to be good at driving a car. Not athletic ability. Whether it's moving your thumbs to control a video game of turning a wheel of a car–NASCAR requires no athletic ability, but only skill.

• Anyone can do it

I admit that controlling a car going 100+ mph can be difficulty, but i see people doing it all the time on the highway. In fact we call them morons. Also they are just driving a car and turning to the left, anybody could do that. But not everybody can hit a baseball 400 feet, or throw a football 100 yards, or make a three pointer, or make a slap-shot on yet. That is what separates athletes from non athletes. It takes training, discipline, and coordination to perfect their craft. Anybody can drive. I see 16 years old kids who cant tie their shoes driving, and i see blind 80 years old driving, but i don't see them doing any of the other stuff.

• Sports = game + athleticism.

Actually, I should add that the "athlete" should be the one that "wins". The game is there, but it's the car that really does it. Maybe if they'd stop making cars the way they want, and leave them all the same, we could argue this. Since a car isn't even an animal, it is not an athlete and is not given credit. But the driver really is not much better than a truck driver. No one calls truckers athletic for surviving day-long drives on mountains and through desert. The only thing athletic about drivers is they have to stay "small" in all ways to fit in the car. But not really for purposes of piloting the car to victory. It is a skill, not athletic. A high-powered game.

• Absolutely Not, don't kid yourself

I've driven a nascar, although I wasn't going 200mph, I did go 180mph. At that speed the car basically drives itself. I have competed in several sports from hockey and football to golf and I know it doesn't take the same athleticism to drive the car. As far as wrecking the car, well they pretty much lock you in the seat from head to waist, all you have to do is take your hands off the wheel before impact to avoid injury to the wrists. As far as sweating, I can sit outside in the hundred degree heat and sweat, that doesn't make me an athlete. They sweat because it's hot in a helmet and fire resistant suit sitting behind the engine, not because of strenuous activity.

Anonymous says2013-09-06T22:38:21.283
Nascar drivers are not athletes. All it is is motorized entertainment.