• They are not real!!!!

People all over the NHL want to see fights and see them play, but when you really look at it, its probably just 2 regular guys getting paid to make a fake fight. In reality you have to pay close attention because sometimes the players talk to each other before their fight.

• It seems unreasonable that there can be so many fights in hockey. I get that it's an emotional game, but...

Look closely at a fighting scene in hockey. Do the fighters really look like they're in a hostile mood? Does anyone ever get hurt? Do the referees stand there and wait for a few seconds before trying to "take care" of the fight? Do most spectators find this entertaining? And are most hockey fights likely scripted? No , No, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

• Yes, they are.

I would have to say NHL fights are most likely staged. I am sure the hockey players actually get very worked up, especially when you can slam your opponent into the glass to get the puck, but I think the actual fighting is probably staged. It gathers a larger audience and gets people who do not like hockey to watch the game.

• Yes, they are.

Are NHL fights staged? It sure seems like it. I find it hard to believe a sport this popular for the occasional fight did not start staging some of them. A large population of the audience they get goes to see the NHL game in person for this reason. So, most likely, yes it is staged.

• Staged or not.. That is the question

I believe that there are quite a few times where NHL fights have been staged. Some people just want to go to hockey games for the fight and so in order to increase attendance the NHL has staged fights to bring excitement to the drunken audience. This is not to say there are some fights that may just happen. I mean in reality, do you think that someone would want to go and get their teeth knocked out just because they were asked to fight during the game? So I believe this is a loaded question. I would say 75% staged and 25% not staged.

• Sure, they are

Sure, I believe NHL fights are staged. The fights make for a more entertaining experience watching the game in person and on TV. Sporting tickets are not cheap and having a staged fight just adds to the experience and gives people what they want to see, especially between two rival teams.

• People who know/play hockey know they aren't

Growing up in a hockey family with a dad and two brothers who play(ed) hockey, I know my way around the NHL. Fighting is as part of the game as anything else. Players who are even relatively friendly with eachother will fight. Two players could fight just because they're frustrated with the game/their performance/anything really. Most of the time it's not like they're very exciting fights either. If they were staged, they'd probably all be exciting. A lot of people saying yes say things like "I think". I'm telling you, I PROMISE you they're not.

• I play hockey so I would know.

Hockey is an action-packed sport. Everyone wants to win. If they want to get the momentum, you need a goal, a big check, or-A FIGHT. Also, players end up getting mad at each other. And that creates some tension between everyone. Then you cant hold it in anymore, then they drop the gloves. Some players get mad because the other team has a cheap shot, and the refs dont call it. All of these reasons support my claim. Thank you for your time.

• Hehe, no they aren't!

I believe that they aren't, even though, yes, most people go to watch the fighting, hockey isn't boxing! I have seen many hockey fight where dudes come away bloody and broken into pieces. I don't think that NHL players plan on fighting. Some just get really angry and decide to fight it out with each other.

• Possibly, but no.

Fights may or may not be staged, but ESPN and the NHL made an announcement that they want to eliminate this, and null it from contracts, etc. So, it may be true that a few hockey fights are staged, commonly found by teams like 'The Hawks', but most of the time It's players that are pretty mad at each other. Players, may speak with each-other that they will 'fight' prehand after the player gets mad another player. This ensures, the protection of each player too.

• They are real

NHL fights are definitely real. Two players may "stage" it but it's not entertainment value, it's too get the teams riled up in a stale game. But the fights are still real. They are still pissed at each other. Hockey fights happen at all levels too, even in house hockey.

• Not where I come from

In the case of a skilled player being targeted, say someone sucker punching Ovechkin, anything like that is not at all staged. But if the coaches put their 4th lines out to start the period, like the Calgary vs Vancouver game, that's almost a guaranteed fight. A lot of fights are just players getting frustrated by either players playing dirty or bad refs.

• This is ridiculous

Fighting is part of the game. If people think its staged for the fans then why are there fights at almost every level of hockey? I played junior hockey for years. We didn't make that much off of ticket sales, we weren't trying to entertain fans, we just played... And there were plenty of fights. People 100% get hurt in fights. Anyone who thinks that it's staged should watch the documentary on Derek Boogard, or read the book "The Code: Unwritten rules of fighting in hockey"