Are Otherkins just people who are mentally ill and/or extremely deluded?

• Not everything is fluid

Is this actually a question? I mean, I guess it's an interesting exercise...But are human beings who feel convinced that they are animals or fictional/mystical creatures sick? Absolutely.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be friends with any of them, just like I would befriend anyone else with other mental disorders. Don't be afraid to label things what they are. It doesn't degrade them as beings.

• They are mentally ill.

Gender is somewhat of a social construct. Species is not in any way a social construct. If you believe that you are not a human, even though you have a human body than you are mentally ill and need help. We should not entertain this non sense. Otherkin are mentally ill.

• These people are clearly deluded.

This is a phenomenon that I was recently exposed to. People who believe that their souls aren't human and that they are some other species stuck in a humans body. To me this screams mental insanity, how can someone literally claim to be a different species because of how they feel? I think these people need help but apparently they believe that they are normal and that this is a true phenomenon. I would like to see opinions from both sides.

• Clearly they are human or they couldn't operate this computer.

That's it. There isn't anything more to say on the matter. They aren't animals in human bodies and they definitely aren't sane. Someone get these poor (human) souls real help so they can live normal lives. Oh and don't even get me started on godkins or deitykins, as that is even more absurd.

Posted by: KLil
  • Unlike similar concepts, "Otherkinism" has no scientific evidence

While I wouldn't call Otherkins "mentally ill" or "deluded", as I simply see the Otherkin subculture as just a harmless subculture, I do not think that Otherkins actually exist. With scientifically accepted differences in behaviour such as transgenderism, there are actually scientific studies that have researched such topics, as well as guidelines for psychologists on how to deal with such differences derived from the research that has taken place. With Otherkins, on the other hand, there's no scientific research suggesting that anybody's brain can be like that of a non-human animal, nor is there any--scientific--evidence to suggest that people can be reincarnated from animals, making their claims about actually being animals in human bodies difficult to accept. In addition, the explanations given for how the Otherkin phenomenon occurs just don't sound like sound science. One theory, that Otherkins were reincarnated from animals, is difficult to scientifically falsify. The other leading theory, that Otherkins have human minds that are simply wired slightly differently so that they would have a slight resemblance to an animal's brain, is also hard to swallow as I have not seen any scientific research into that claim; this is unlike transgender people--oft-compared to Otherkins--who, according to scientific studies, actually have brains with differences from what the majority consider as "normal".

• Just lazy bums

In my time people who would not fit were just called "lazy bums". We had to work and could not play "pretend" all the time. This is a first-world, spoiled brat thing. Teens now just refuse to grow up. They do not receive enough discipline and end up inept adults.

• All things equal

If society is willing to accept transgender then so to should otherkin be accepted. Both feel they are born in the wrong body and may attempt to alter their appearances. If one is to reject otherkin as a mental illness, then one should reject transgender in the same way. And both were once considered a mental illness, alongside homosexuality.

• Not anymore than religious people

I'll grant that I don't consider "otherkin" to be a real thing. It is predicated on the idea of a soul. What evidence is there that a "soul" exists? I suppose you could make it a semantic question and just definition "soul" as being some felt aspect of a person's mind, but then we're getting into semantics.

Plenty of other people have beliefs about souls, it's called religion when organized or spirituality when it's unorganized. In that sense otherkin aren't anymore than mentally ill or delusional than religious people.

If you say you are otherkin to me in real life I say "good for you" and then try to change the subject because I really don't care about this otherkin stuff. If they yap on and on about being otherkin or about being oppressed then that's annoying and I'll let them know that.

• No, they are not.

Scientists have never succeeded in putting the human soul under a microscope. Until that happens, no one knows what a soul really is, and whether it even exists. You might say that Otherkins are delusional for believing that their soul is nonhuman. But, following that vein, wouldn't you also say that it is delusional for Tibetans to believe that the Dalai Lama gets reincarnated; for Christians to believe that their soul can enter this magical place called heaven? There is, in fact, no right or wrong answer to what the soul really is--though a person's own conviction may make him intolerant of those of others.

Posted by: elw
  • No, we are not.

We simply identify with another animal.
    That's literally it. We ARE human. Biologically human, we acknowledge our bodies so on and so forth.
    People are so ignorant on the topic of Otherkinity due to tumblr it's sad.

Get a grip, the majority of actual Otherkin are in the medical and science field. Many of us are in the military too.

We can't shift into wolves and we don't howl at the moon. We ARE human, and we ARE animals. We're just as animal as apes. So drop the arrogance.

• No, we are not delusional.

We simply identify with another animal.