Are parents morally responsible for their child's actions?

• Parents raised their child, teaching them right from wrong, so they are morally responsible.

Parents are the "leaders" of their child. Parents should watch over their children and teach them how life works. If they don't teach well, their children might just ignore their parents, but it's up to the parent to correct that behavior. For example, a student is done with school for the day, but he comes home to an empty house because his parents are at work. All of a sudden, he climbs on a car and starts stomping on that car. Well, it is the parents' responsibility because his parents should have come home to supervise or found an after-school program. Also, if a parent starts saying bad words, their children might follow from their parents' poor behavior. Again, it comes down to it being the parents' fault for not being a good role model.

• Parents,who are known as "leaders"

Parents should watch over their children and teach them how life works. If they don't teach well, their children might just ignore their parents. For example, a student is done with school and his parents aren't there yet. And all of a sudden he starts climbing a car and starts stomping on the car. Well, it is the parent's responsibility because his parents should have came early. Also, if a parent starts saying bad words, their children might follow. That is how they teach poorly.

• Children learn from their parents, psychologically speaking.

Several studies in develpomental psychology have found that children are, esentially, a blank slate. Granted, there are several traits that are inborn or inhereted, but mostly children learn right and wrong through observation of others. Until they are of schooling age, their parents are the predominate role models in a child's life. Whether or not the child is taught integrity and morals is the responsibility of the parent. It is hoped that the parents can instill a strong enough sense of right and wrong so that by the time the child is exposed to other sources, their moral compass is secure.
    Therefore, I believe that parents are responsible for their children's actions, as they are the root of their character.

• Yes parents are morally responsible for the child's actions.

Although once the child is of a mature age, such as 15 or above, the parents shouldn't be responsible completely. It is a parent that raises a child. A family can live in an ugly, filthy place but the children can be beautiful and have all the moral values and respect in the world if their parents teach them and raise them as such. It is north american and other western parents that don't pay attention to their children and don't teach them moral values. And Indians and other Asian people who have inferiority complex also get into this habit after immigrating.

• For the most part it's a yes

A child is born with a brain that I ready to absorb information such as communication, culture, morals, etc... As they progress in life. These things are learned from this persons surroundings. At a young age, a child is fully surrounded by his/her parents. Everything this child learns/doesn't learn is picked up primarily from parents. Not all actions are to be blamed by parents, sure peer pressure could get the best of us at a young age sometimes; however, it is the full parents responsibility to show their child the path, then these teaching will stick when this child becomes an adult. Parents choose to have the child it's their responsibility to teach and love their child without giving up or don't have the child and help with the overpopulation problem. No child comes from a good home and becomes a crack addict or a murrdering thief, unless the family was good but just didn't care much for the child, either loving or teaching him/her the ways of a responsible adult; or maybe they jet don't know how, either way is no excuse. This only applys if the child has a parent.

• Parents are responsible to teach their kids right from wrong.

Parents are responsible to teach their children the correct path, so if a child does something wrong, the parents should be held responsible. However, it should depend on the age of the child. For example, if the child is 16 or 17, then they have more autonomy and choice, so parents should not be held responsible.

Posted by: AverageHoward86
  • As parents are responsible for the educating and disciplining their child, they are also responsible for that child's actions.

It is a parent's duty to teach their children responsible behavior. They must see that a child knows right from wrong, and discipline the child if he or she misbehaves. Parents are therefore responsible for their child's actions, because a child's actions are largely reflective of the upbringing from their parents.

Posted by: EminentBennett93
  • It's the environment that affects the child's learning and development.

Children brought up in a poor environment without structure and rules tend to not care about "bad" actions and do not see the wrong in them. They are little pieces of clay and follow their most trustworthy "leaders," their parents. If their parents are poor leaders, the children could follow in their path.

• Minors lack capacity to understand responsibility.

Minors (0-18) lack the capacity to understand responsibility and the probable consequences of any actions. It is the job of the parent to provide their children with guidance as to building that matureness and capacity of responsibility. Education starts from home; any behaviors of the parents directly affect the children psychologically and in terms of development. There is an action and a reaction. Children's actions are stimulated by their personality and behavior, which is undoubtedly shaped from their parents and their parents behavior Even when the child is an adult, they have their parents to thank for their upbringing. Therefore FULL responsibility goes to the parents of the behavioral and ethical construction of their children. Besides families are the building blocks of society and the generations perpetuate a circle of similar family traits and behaviors.

• Mirror mirror on the wall

When children are growing up, they pay a lot of attention to their parents; especially at a young age. In the bible, it stays that children are supposed to live like their parents and to grow up doing what they do. But that is hard to do when your parents are always out clubbing or getting drunk. That will only lead to the child doing the same things when they are older. If parents did not go out clubbing and stayed home to look after their kids and set a good example, the kid would also go that when they are older. That is why parents are responsible for their child's actions.

• No, They Aren't

Parents are only responsible for feeding, clothing, and enrolling their children in school. Any action their child does is unrelated to them as people. If people were responsible for the actions of their children, then the world would be pretty messed up. You can't control everyone. Why should you be responsible for something or one you can't control?

• I do not support.

Look here. Let's say my parents are DEAD. Then I go and kill somebody because I am fed up. How is my dad going to be responsible for me? Really. Another example would be that I, the careless guy, accidentaly injure somebody. Sure, My dad is responsible for me, but how responsible can he be?

• Stop playing the blaming game.

The notion of parents being morally responsible for their children's actions are silly. Let's start with a hypothetical scenario, I, a rebellious teenage adolescent, decide to rob a convenience store and end up killing a person in the process. I get caught, and the trial in the courts begins. Who committed the crime - I did. Assuming my parents were in another city and played no part in my actions (and, to make things interesting, let's say they physically and mentally abused me), did they play any part in my recent activities - no! According to the court of law, who is guilty? Shouldn't be the one who committed the crime? A criminal is a criminal regardless of his intent. As a high school kid, I see students playing around and only coming to school to start fights or hang around their friends. I think it is stupid to think that teachers should have any responsibilities in keeping such students in school. They make their choices everyday to skip class. Our parents engendered us, but they could have thrown us inside a dumpster, abandoning us. Yet, many of our parents did not. My parents work three jobs, and yes I wish they were home more; however, as long as I get a pencil, a calculator, a notebook, and a backpack, it is MY OWN RESPONSIBILITY to do well in school. My parents taught me at the age of fourteen that I will not be always responsible for what happens to me, but I will be responsible to what I answer to. I know it's hard for many to hear this, especially from a Hispanic with strong family ties, but get over yourselves. Stop playing the blaming game and do something about gang violence and socio-racial issues that are unique to a specific community. It is funny that the same people that say morally is relative and that each person has a right to whatever values they have, are always the one blaming other people. If they practiced what they say, then they would not be crying about how other people are raised. I am not neglecting issues such as the psychological impact our parents or environment may have on us. However, that is a different issue that may intertwine with the issue at hand, but not the focus. The question of what responsibilities a parent has to a child and who should be persecuted when one person committed a stupid mistake or crime are different issues.

• The children have brains of their own.

I don't believe the parents are responsible for the children's actions. You see many children who were not raised in a good environment, who have become very successful, such as star linebacker Patrick Willis for the San Francisco 49ers. He was raised with a very abusive father, and he himself made the decision to be the person he wanted to be.

• Children learn from what they see and hear

Most children prefer learning from their peers than the parents. And most of them prefer the misguided peer mates as friends, as some are bullies, so they fill secure. Thereby learning all sorts of characters from them. Some children genetically are societal mishaps, such as those who take pleasure in seeing others in pain. With these it think parents are not to blame.

Posted by: CONE
  • Parents have a responsibility to teach their child, but the child is responsible for his own actions.

Parents have a responsibility to instill a moral compass in their children. When kids do something bad, parents need to teach them right from wrong to make them understand how they should behave. However, many children choose to ignore advice and go their own way; if the parent teaches and disciplines the child and the child still does bad things, then the child is at fault.

Posted by: SoWinif
  • I don't believe parents are morally responsible for their child's actions.

Once children reach a certain age their parents cannot control everything they do. Teenagers, and even adolescents, are very free thinking and independent and parents cannot and should not be held responsible for everything their children do. Parents can raise their children to be the most responsible and respectful adults they can; however, it is still up to the children to follow through with those lessons.

Posted by: AnxiousXavier
  • Blame doesn't help

Parents are responsible for giving guidance (pointing the way to positive behaviour) and allowing consequences so the kid learns to take responsibility for his / her own choices. Parents are NOT responsible for the choices their offspring make. If they believe they are responsible it's sets them up to be controlling and the kid doesn't learn to be responsible for themselves. Temperament is important as well, some kids are very strong willed and have to learn all lessons themselves the hard way. Blaming parents just excuses poor behaviour in the individual and transfers the responsibility from the one who makes the choice therefore creating a victim / entitlement attitude. A parent can influence, yes BUT you can't be responsible for what you have no control over, that being another's choice contrary to guidance and consequences. That responsibility lies squarely with the individual.

• Parents should not ALWAYS be morally responsible for their child's crimes.

Depending on the circumstances, the age, what mental issues the child may have, the inherited mental issues if occurred, the parents should not always be held responsible. If there is a past of crimes that run in the family, that is not the child's fault for that trait to be inherited. I can understand that yes the parents should stress explaining what is wrong and right in life while their child is growing up. Some parents stress about smoking and that it would kill you or their significant other would not like it, and some children grow up and end up smoking anyway. Maybe it is not the parents' fault, but the society. Depending on the people that the child grew up around, friend or not, society is a big reason for certain actions. You would have to prove that it was the parent's fault for the crime of the child, they should not always be held responsible for the crimes depending on the age and the crime that was committed.

• Responsibility is really lacking nowadays.

There are cases of adults in a good place in their life due to good actions, despite a bad childhood, where there are adults in a bad place in their life due to bad actions, despite a good childhood. Parents can only do so much & it's up that child to learn from the moral lessons taught to them, or to cause mischief in their life. As for parents that are unfit, a child can always have some sort of adult role model standing for good or help from an outside source if ever needed. In the end, there are just certain things one should automatically know on the topic of right or wrong.

Anonymous says2013-05-22T17:17:16.617
This was SO helpful! I'm writing a research paper on the where the blame falls for the decline in teen moralty; this gave me insight on my argument for sure. Perfection.
Anonymous says2013-06-01T16:04:09.053
I think parents do play a large part(not all) for their child's actions for the following reasons; Children spend most of their childhood with their parents until they turn an age where they can think for themselves. Be it beating the child or abusing or loving the child effects how the child reacts to things in their life. My parents brought me up to keep to myself and love everyone (although my dad as hypocritical) I learnt how to deal with things because of what my parents put me through. Some parents stay distant from their child and they end up getting close to friends and being influenced by them-this was in the end the parents responsibility. So my point is be it good or bad behaviour towards their child it does effect the childs actions a lot--until they grow up. I'm tired so sorry if this doesnt make sense and or bad grammar. I hope I made my point clear.