Are parents these days too protective of their children?

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE!!!

Parents should let their children have some freedom. So yeah.
    They should let them roam the world and explore fun or danger. This helps as kids can realise their mistake and the danger they are facing.
    It is true.So what do you think about this situation we are arguing about?

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE!!!

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE

Parents who are overly protective affect the children of parents that have the right level of protection. Parents are taking away all the fun of being a child. Children are allowed to get hurt that is how they learn if something is safe or not, not by having their parents take it away from them. As a person who is considered a child I believe that some parents are to over protective, I have protective parents but they don't affect the other children unless they are in danger. There are parents who ruin the childhood of not only their children but other children.

• 15 year old's perspective

Yes most parents are overprotective. My parents are not and have let me take the Denver RTD light rail to school every day since I was 12 years old. It is needed to do this so when I turn 18 and am out of the house I need skills like that to live in this world. Just like I could go play at the park by my house when I was 8 years old alone with my sister who was 10. I think parents are meant to guide us and expose us to what we should and shouldn't do.

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

This is a point that is kind of in the middle. I think that parents are being over-protective of their kids in stupid situations, like not letting them stay out until after dinner time. But then they are being totally unaware of the REAL dangers out there, such as cyber-bullying on social media. They let their kids use phones with internet from a very young age, thinking that this will distract them from wanting to go outside, when in reality, the kid is getting upset because he/she is being bullied online. Honestly, I think the parents are panicking a little bit, and just need to calm down, and think ahead to their child's future, and base their decisions off THAT, instead of the rumoured dangers of the real world.

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

• Parents can be

Parents are overprotective and I see that. That doesn't mean they go full on out crazy with it. We should have a bit of freedom. With that freedom, we can learn from our mistakes and learn how to be more responsible. Now that does not mean we should get pregnant or drink underage, but we should know how to do things.

• Absolutely to over protective!!

Parents are way to overprotective , it's important to let your child have abit of freedom . Eg letting them catch the bus to a local suburb these are important skills they need to know , letting them go to parties if you trust them , it all comes with trust and if you have that trust give them some freedom parents !

• Yes, they are.

I'm a college professor and I'm constantly shocked by how dependent young adults are on their parents and at times, on other authority figures. I'm frequently asked to tell students what their majors should be, how to handle relationship problems, even what kinds of foods they should eat. Over the years, conversations with these young people indicate overprotective or even controlling parents who have inadvertently discouraged independence and problem solved skills. This trend in parenting has seriously harmed college age adults.

• Kids deserve freedom!

Picture this.
    A child who is 13 years of old has no access to social media! Restricted access to video games, YouTube, mobile devices, computers.
    Who is to blame for this child being able to do almost nothing! The parents, the ones who watch over the child's every action. Influencing how their children thinks to the point where they can't have an opinion on something! For example my parents literally embedded in my younger siblings brains that Pokemon go is the worst game ever! I'm sitting their ignoring everything, because I play the game behind my parents backs! Parenting books need to be banned, they exist to change how the parents think about parenting and make them parent in a specific way! So technically parents are innocent, its books! Let parents be themselves when they parent, not turn to a stupid parenting book every time their child says a word!

• Parents are not strict enough to even control their children to learn right from wrong- stupidity

Most children now days don't even care if they get grounded or if they get a good job or even if they want to pass their education. By the time they are older they will still not understand the importance of the main attributes of life and probably just get involved in criminal activity and just be bankrupt.

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

• Children are not over protected

Most children are aloud to go out to play till 8 o clock . If nothing has happened to then in the past then it is unlikely that anything is going to them now . If you live in a gated community you SHOULD NOT be worried no-one is going to come in . Another point when a child is 10 or over they should have a phone or a Walkie talkie with them so you can be sure they are safe at all times .

• The society is not so good as before

Parents are not so protective they are giving their children samsung young and samsung galaxy phones connected with internet.This is not right they are not seeing how their children are getting spoiled sitting in front of internet.Giving cell phones to them at a very young age is not at all right.

• Not at All

No, parents these days are not too protective of their children. If anything they are not protective enough. There are so many dangers today that did not exist a few years ago. The Internet is a blessing, but it also puts our youngsters at risk. Predators seem to be everywhere. There are so many stories in the news about abductions that end up sad and ugly beyond belief. Children are too naïve and innocent to protect themselves so it is our job as parents to protect them.

• The world really is a more dangerous place.

I think the world is about as dangerous now as it has ever been. I think that parents have more information about potential dangers, due to increased media availability. I also think that dangers change over time.

Cavemen worried about their kids being eaten by wild animals. I almost never worry about that now. But, I do worry about them being hit by cars. So, I spend more time teaching them how to be safe around cars than I do teaching them how to be safe around wild animals.

• The world is dangerous

Parents need to protect their children. It seems like there are more and more things parents need to worry about: crime, terrorism, new drugs, strange diseases, and so on. The internet is a great tool for education, but it can also expose children to corrupting influences that they should stay away from. Parents are protective because they need to be in this day and age.