Are parents these days too protective of their children?

• Parents are to over protective

When i was a kid we had monkey bars 10 feet up but one if one person falls of they take it down...People learn from their mistakes like if u fall off u say okay im not doing that again but u cant if parents dont let u do anything

• Too over protective

Parents are not protective ENOUGH This is a point that is kind of in the middle. I think that parents are being over-protective of their kids in stupid situations, like not letting them stay out until after dinner time. But then they are being totally unaware of the REAL dangers out there, such as cyber-bullying on social media. They let their kids use phones with internet from a very young age, thinking that this will distract them from wanting to go outside, when in reality, the kid is getting upset because he/she is being bullied online. Honestly, I think the parents are panicking a little bit, and just need to calm down, and think ahead to their child's future, and base their decisions off THAT, instead of the rumoured dangers of the real world.
    Report Post
    Like Reply

• Too over protective

Report Post
    Like Reply

• Too over protective

Report Post
    Like Reply

• Too over protective

Report Post
    Like Reply

• Yes, from a 14 y/o perspective.

My mother is worse than my father. She always checks my phone, has all of her notifications for me on and never lets me keep my phone in my room overnight. She always knows what I'm doing. My dad is a bit more relaxed and only calls me when I'm out of the house or if he is out of the house to make sure I'm ok. Overall, I feel a constant lead on me with my parents.

• They definitely are.

It's much harder than 10 years ago to just hang around somewhere. Parents now have millions of tools to keep track of their kids and often overuse these tools. This leads to parents constant confronting kids if they only take 1 step in another direction as they want their kids to take. This as additional is actually also proven to be bad for the kid in multiple ways like healthiness and self confidence.

• They definitely are.

• Parents are too protective

I admit that some parents can be too protective over their children, some parents can do be and they don't know they're doing it until their son/daughter tells them so arguments and rows throw out. Children should be able to do what they please when they're older, roam free, meet friends and live young because their years won't last very long, especially when their parents tell them what to do.

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE!!!

Parents should let their children have some freedom. So yeah.
    They should let them roam the world and explore fun or danger. This helps as kids can realise their mistake and the danger they are facing.
    It is true.So what do you think about this situation we are arguing about?

• Parents are not strict enough to even control their children to learn right from wrong- stupidity

Most children now days don't even care if they get grounded or if they get a good job or even if they want to pass their education. By the time they are older they will still not understand the importance of the main attributes of life and probably just get involved in criminal activity and just be bankrupt.

• Parents are TOO OVERPROTECTIVE

Parents who are overly protective affect the children of parents that have the right level of protection. Parents are taking away all the fun of being a child. Children are allowed to get hurt that is how they learn if something is safe or not, not by having their parents take it away from them. As a person who is considered a child I believe that some parents are to over protective, I have protective parents but they don't affect the other children unless they are in danger. There are parents who ruin the childhood of not only their children but other children.

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

This is a point that is kind of in the middle. I think that parents are being over-protective of their kids in stupid situations, like not letting them stay out until after dinner time. But then they are being totally unaware of the REAL dangers out there, such as cyber-bullying on social media. They let their kids use phones with internet from a very young age, thinking that this will distract them from wanting to go outside, when in reality, the kid is getting upset because he/she is being bullied online. Honestly, I think the parents are panicking a little bit, and just need to calm down, and think ahead to their child's future, and base their decisions off THAT, instead of the rumoured dangers of the real world.

• Parents are not protective ENOUGH

• Children are not over protected

Most children are aloud to go out to play till 8 o clock . If nothing has happened to then in the past then it is unlikely that anything is going to them now . If you live in a gated community you SHOULD NOT be worried no-one is going to come in . Another point when a child is 10 or over they should have a phone or a Walkie talkie with them so you can be sure they are safe at all times .

• The society is not so good as before

Parents are not so protective they are giving their children samsung young and samsung galaxy phones connected with internet.This is not right they are not seeing how their children are getting spoiled sitting in front of internet.Giving cell phones to them at a very young age is not at all right.

• Not at All

No, parents these days are not too protective of their children. If anything they are not protective enough. There are so many dangers today that did not exist a few years ago. The Internet is a blessing, but it also puts our youngsters at risk. Predators seem to be everywhere. There are so many stories in the news about abductions that end up sad and ugly beyond belief. Children are too naïve and innocent to protect themselves so it is our job as parents to protect them.

• The world really is a more dangerous place.

I think the world is about as dangerous now as it has ever been. I think that parents have more information about potential dangers, due to increased media availability. I also think that dangers change over time.

Cavemen worried about their kids being eaten by wild animals. I almost never worry about that now. But, I do worry about them being hit by cars. So, I spend more time teaching them how to be safe around cars than I do teaching them how to be safe around wild animals.

• The world is dangerous

Parents need to protect their children. It seems like there are more and more things parents need to worry about: crime, terrorism, new drugs, strange diseases, and so on. The internet is a great tool for education, but it can also expose children to corrupting influences that they should stay away from. Parents are protective because they need to be in this day and age.