Are people being appropriately screened by health care provides for celiac disease?

• Yes, celiac is being screened incorrectly.

I do not have Celiac disease but I do have a gluten intolerance that I had to diagnose for myself after I was feeling severe abdominal pain and reported it to several doctors. After taking a few tests, I had no answer from them so I decided intuitively to eliminate wheat and now all is well.

• Celiac disease: You probably don't have it.

Celiac disease is actually very rare. People desperately want to be diagnosed with this disease so that they can justify being part of the gluten free diet fad. Most health care providers accurately screen for it by doing no screening whatsoever. But if you think that you have it because you read about it on WebMD, then by all means, demand a test.

• No They Aren't

I do not believe people are screened by health care providers for celiac disease. As many health care providers will tell you, the American system has little to do with prevention, it is a reactive system. We don't test and screen for every possibility. We react and treat what is wrong when it causes problems.

• No, I do not think so

I think celiac disease often goes undetected. I do not know why this disease is monitored more closely and detected more often. I do not know what to do in order to improve the screening process, but this seems to be a problem of increasing seriousness. I hope it is addressed.