Are people entitled (have the right) to their opinions?

Asked by: OlaNordmann
  • Think what you want.

You have the right to think whatever you want. You are entitled to your own opinion. For the most part, you can even voice that opinion. There are exceptions tho. For instance, if it is your opinion and not something you can prove, you must state that it's your opinion or else risk being charged with things like slander. Another thing you can do is say things that could be considered hate speech. Tho the law does regulate some things you can say, your still allowed your own opinion as you can thing anything you want.

• Everyone has rights on what they say

Free speech is very important.
    We all have different opinions
    we believe in democracy, not dictatorship.
    Some people will cause offence on what they say, but that is part of life.
    We don't play the same instrument. Everyone is different and with free willto do on what they think best

• All opinions are fine to have due to their inevitability, but some are dangerous to act upon.

People should have the freedom to think whatever they please but should certainly be limited to what they can do about ludicrous and/or hateful opinions. We often can't control what we think, but we still manage to discipline ourselves on when and how we should talk about whatever we are thinking. We may have thought horrible things at one point, but the entire reason for taking on opinions to be able to speak our position and work to create a better understanding of a topic that none of us can truly figure out on our own. If you were to get anything out of this statement, just make sure to speak your mind with the intent to improve your understanding by sharing with others rather than hate on others for absolutely ridiculous reasons.

• If you don't have opinions you don't have anything

People should be entitled to their own opinions as long as those opinions don't cause them to physically harm someone. People are entitled to have innocent opinions but not necessarily criminal opinions or supervillain opinions. Facts can be opinions or lies can be opinions. People should have a right to have some opinions or they wouldn't be able to do anything and would be helpless babys.

• Everyone has a unique way of thinking.

Thinking is obviously a big part of our lives. To live, one must have to think. We have rights to live. No man, woman or child is left out on the right to live a life. Everyone is undeniably different and so have different ways of thinking. If we all have different ways of thinking, then we'd intrinsically have different views and judgments of things, whether they'd be theories, ideologies, a product, brand, etc. Thus, we are entitled to our own opinion. If everyone is entitled to their own opinions, everyone must respect that right, otherwise what is the point of implementing rights?

• They have as much right to their opinions as I have to criticize their opinions.

Of course people are entitled to their opinions. A world to the contrary would not allow for any innovation as all philosophical and scientific epiphanies would be suppressed. However, the opposite is true as well.

Anyone can voice their views, however absurd and ludicrous, and I can voice my views upon their opinions. It is through these means that a society can remain logical and thoughtful, not bound to the temporary beliefs of the general people.

• However, it doesn't excuse them from facing the consequences of their actions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if their opinion is that of a fool (for want of a better, more offensive term) then they should be treated as such. Also, despite it being a must for civilised society to have freedom of speech, if someone is willing to kill because of their opinion then it is not a worthy opinion to consider (soldiers in just wars exempt).

• Not any more

I once believed this -- That my opinion held equal value to everyone elses, even if it was heavily rested on emotions and my conception of the world instead of actual research and evidence. I've now grown tired of people justifying their ignorance and ignore any rational arguments against them just because "I have the right to my opinion".

I believe in freedom of expression but if your arguments fall short you should concede or shut the fu** up!