• It is the biggest waste of money

U can just stay home bh n jgdfyguhijopiuhgyfc hgfghuoiuihgyhc ggfchijo tyuiopk[l]; zxftgyhuji;kol' qwaresdtyuipojk dfghj f hszdgxhcfjkbl nn n j j j j jh jh h h h h h h h h h h h f d d g g g gg g gg g d er ear re fera

• Once in a life time opportunity

People say that prom is stupid, and you shouldn't spend more than $200 on it, but prom only happens once in your life (unless youre really dumb and stay back a grade) who cares if people go all out for prom? Prom is the one thing you remember from highschool, not classes, not your friends. I beliave that people should still stay in your budget though. I you are a poor family, and spend a lot of money, then I agree, that shouldn't be happening. But if you have more money, or even if you have a normal amount of money, I think it it totally fine to go all out.

• It Has Been Commercialized

I believe people do spend too much to go to prom. What was once a decent party without too many expenses as turned into a ritzy affair. I think this is mostly due to the commercialization of the event and the advertising addressed to the age group. Business wants a cut of the profits and they're getting a huge chunk now. I think we would be far better off to set limits on our children or make them earn the money on their own, so they better understand the value of a dollar.

• It's Just a Dance

Prom is just a dance. However, in contemporary society the prom has become a cultural phenomenon. Expensive dresses, posh dinners, a limo to the dance and after parties are all about who can out-do the other person. Prom isn't about spending time with friends any more--it is about being seen. It's the red carpet event of high school with all style and no substance. Money spent on prom could go towards feeding the hungry or housing the homeless instead. Why not make a real difference in someone's life and uplift them instead of getting dressed up for prom?

• Some people spend too much on Prom.

Prom is an important date for many people in high school. It is supposed to be a romantic and magical night and because of that many kids end up building it up in their heads and spending waaaayyyy too much money on their suits/dresses and their rides to the school.

• By a wide margin

I'm not against high school kids having a fun night, but prom is ridiculous. Students, girls in particular think of it as up to that point being the most important night of their lives, and it just isn't. It's another night with more expensive clothing, adult expectations, and that's about it. There is zero sense in anybody spending money they don't comfortably have on a prom night, and many people do.

• Yes they are.

In the moment Prom is seen as a very big deal and kids are willing to spend money for what they consider one of the best nights of their lives. However, they spend more money on their dresses and limos and dinners than some people on their own wedding night. It's too much.

• Once in a life time opportunity