Are people who do bad and arrogant things just "for the hell of it" really evil?

Asked by: Adam2
  • They most certainly are.

People tend to think that the small things they do don't matter; that as long as they don't act badly, they aren't bad. This is not true.

Arrogance and ignorance are the epitome of evil. If you know all the horrors of something - ex., if you know exactly what happens in factory farms - and yet you continue to do it - ex., you continue to eat steak and ribs "because they taste soooo good" - that is arrogance, ignorance, and evil.

To stand in the face of pure evil and be apathetic is pure evil.

To stand in the face of pure evil and care, no matter how much, is life.

To stand in the face of pure evil and act is to love.

• It says a lot about them

It depends, from a racist person it's not so much evil but rather just that their racism really makes them hateful. Whereas with other things it just has to be... I hate those words to be honest. I find that to be a very evil phrase in my opinion :(

• Do bigots who spread lies about entire cultures of people or communities practice evil?

I know a guy, he's really ignorant and often posts stupid questions on DBO. He's an unmitigated racist, a bigot and a liar. He's also a homophobe who has called me many slurs.

Is he evil?

It depends, they are a racist, so it's no so much evil, but rather just that their racism really makes them hateful.

But the pathological nature of their incessant dishonesty, and the vitriolic approach to discourse might push them over that arbitrary and subjective line.

• What is Evil?

Evil essentially means extreme and undeniable villainy with the aim of harming individuals or undermining peace efforts. We see that those who commit crimes "for the hell of it" are not intrinsically deserving of this label simply because they do not aim to do the above, but satisfy their own visceral agendas. They just hurt others in the process. And doing "arrogant things", I quote the motion, does not equate to being evil; I think that point speaks for itself.