• Yes I Do

Someone who cusses is not using a filter on what they're saying. They're not trying to pretty up what they're saying, and not trying to find a 'nice' way to express thoughts. I personally find that if I'm in a conversation where I need to refrain from using any profanity, I'm more likely to be less than honest, as I'm already having to consciously filter what I'm saying.

• To a degree.

Yes, people who swear, to my own experience, do tend to be more honest and straight forward. These people are usually very intelligent, but many times their vocabulary is shut down by people around them and may resort to swears as a way to get the point across as it conveys anything from importance of a situation to importance of an event to the person themselves. I will note however; I did say, "tend to be" for a reason, as some people merely swear as a means to sound "cool" or to make themselves seem bigger than they really are. I've also seen that people who swear, more often then not, tend to be more blunt and succinct with their answers, if, you were to cut out their swears.

• Diplomacy is not their drive to win popularity

People who don't worry so much about being politically correct tend to swear more in my experience which leads them to be more honest on which they speak of. They tend not to worry about diplomacy to win agreement & likeness so much as speaking their truth good or bad is of importance.

• Definitely More Honest

I feel like this is obvious. If you consciously censor yourself in situations where swearing isn't taboo (elementary school, job interview, etc) then that is a lie in itself. You are presenting a behavior that is not what you actually would present if you had no inhibitions. People who swear aren't trying to keep up an image like people who don't, and therefore are more honest because they don't care about peoples reactions. People who don't swear are worried about pleasing everyone, and will lie just so they don't rock the boat.

• Swearing shows an extreme interest in the topic of discussion to the point of devotion.

If someone swears, it shows that they have a strong opinion about a subject, and believe that they need to show it in a more ration sense. People who swear are usually more honest, as they will speak their minds when they feel like it needs to be said, whether its harsh it not is another opinion

• It depends on the type of swearing

The occasional sprinkle of profanity tells me that someone is not concealing or hiding anything, they're communicating what they feel. Excessive profanity indicates a personality problem or bad upbringing. No swearing at all tells me that they either aren't passionate enough to have the urge to swear, or they're repressing their instincts out of fear, discomfort, or a sly attempt to seem refined and gentle.

• Yes but not everyone who swears is dishonest.

People who dont swear very much tend to know when it is appropriate to say certain things. People who swear more often say what is on their mind, where as people who know what is appropriate may be more likely to hold back their true feelings.

This does not mean if you NEVER swear that you are not as honest as someone else. Some people just do not use swear words. But when talking about people who swear excessively, I think it is likely they will not be embarrassed to be honest about their true feelings as well.

• They aren't afraid

I swear. Not everytime, but when I do it everyone knows the situation is serious. Some friends actually feel better when they swear: "Why the f**k did that b*****d run over the dog with his car!?" When people swear they mean it. Also, I feel that when people contain themselves they actually store their anger which isn't healthy.
    I'm not saying that you should swear everytime, everywhere, there's a time and a moment to swear and let it go.

• Yes but only with their self'-expression

The studies that come close to something that can be perceived as showing more honesty is in "self-expression". But it doesn't conclude they are really a more honest person: it doesn't find that they are less likely to steal, or cheat on a test, or lie to you, etc... They simply are less concerned with what you think about their personal way of expressing themselves, which can be a form of honesty, but only a small portion of what we look for in a honest trustworthy persons.

Studies do show that cursing can help relieve pain, illicit feelings of power and control and even receive it from other because of its use. It can allow for non-violent retribution, provide humor, plus allow for better peer and social bonding.

Also, it can provide psychological and physical health: benefits of swearing include increased circulation, elevated endorphins, and an overall sense of calm, control, and well-being. The key is to do it sparingly and not to get angry at the same time, which is found to be very bad for you.

• Yes, more honest.

People who curse don't hold back. People who don't hold back aren't lying. They have nothing to hide. They aren't trying to pretend to be something. They also are not trying to make something sound good. While some may find it offensive, that does seem silly. They are just words.

• You really do not need to curse to tell people your opinion.

How is using swear words making you more honest? Personally I don't curse yet I try to be as honest as possible. You really do not need to curse to tell people your opinion. I can easily say I don't like that jacket, or I think you should stay out without cursing and I'm still being honest.

• No They Aren't

People who swear are just as honest as everyone else in the world. Those that swear are not more moral, truthful, or righteous than anyone else. I really do not see how much a person swears would be a determining factor of how honest an individual is. Swearing isn't a good indicator of who lies and who doesn't/

• Rather a rage of aggression

Swearing is a result of aggression! Aggression can not be defined as honesty. Why would honesty need aggressive outburst. Honesty is aggressively spoken about during demonstrations or where its acceptability is less. Swearing in is creating pressure on the other to make you point acceptable. Swearing only causes bad image.

• Why I view swearing as not so honest.

It is biblical to have pure speech..So people most likely who are not swearing most likely do not lie because they are following after God who said be holy because I am holy. And ton's more verse's to support how a person who is living to be that doesn't practice it daily because you would be sinning on some level and people who are trying to be pure wouldn't do something to hurt themselve's to separate them from the Holy Father. So to repent is to not do it over and over and swearing is not pure speech and being honest is a Godly attribute.

• This Is False

People who tend to use swear words are no more truthful than people who don't use them. In fact, people who use profanity are more likely to be lying as using profanity shows that there is a higher level of emotion being used. "Usually" when people are more emotional, they're irrational, which means they may be speaking from feelings and not truths as emotions are deceitful.

• Would it make any sense?

Does that mean that people who watch what they say are more dishonest? I dont see how people who cant think of explanatory words to say are more honest. I would trust the guy who talks the most educated not the one who cant even freakin say freakin words.

• Swearing don't make you honest.

I have been around both swearing and people that don't swear all my life. Most of the people that swear all the time are very dishonest. They steal , do drugs, and don't work. Usually they are swearing because things don't go right for them. They swear at people that have things in life but are unwilling to leave the drugs alone to get a job. And if they manage to get one they lose it because they fail a random drug test , just didn't feel like going to work, or they spent all their money and they don't have gas some don't even have a car. Their children and everyone around them suffer. Well that is my experience with swearing people. I also have conducted surveys for studies and have found that not everyone that conducts the surveys are honest. Guess what most of the ones that swear are the ones that lose their jobs for not following the procedure for conducting the survey...Go figure.

• No they aren't. There's no real proof (e.G.: scientific studies) to support the claim that people who swear more are more honest.

No they aren't. There's no real proof (e.G.: scientific studies) to support the claim that people who swear more are more honest.

There have been a number of attempts (behavioral studies) to actually answer this question.
    So far the results have been inconclusive. The "proofs" and "arguments" presented here (on debate.Org) by those who claim that people who swear more are more honest are anecdotal (at most), biased and statistically irrelevant.

Swearing is, in lots of cases:
    - an emotional outburst (correlated with various things, like the need to draw attention, for example)
    - an automatism (a behavioral routine)
    etc

Swearing is not a calculated decision to try to be more honest. In fact, some of the best liars (sociopaths, psychopaths, etc) are known to use swearing to emphasize a point of view or to try to dominate an audience.

• Depends on the individual

The environment you grew up in as well as genetics determines honesty. First hand experience tells me this. My ex and I grew up in the city where swearing is normal. As I got older I tried to control it more. He did not. After we married, I picked the habit up again. This man was extremely abusive, and cheated numerous times. He would do and say things and then twist it around to blame me for the problem. Even though I knew it would anger him in to want to fight with me I would always stand my ground and tell him exactly what was going on. Two of my children share this trait.
    What you have been taught, who your role models are, also plays a big part. It is on the news daily. These criminals swearing up a storm. They are not honest.

• Swearing is a lack of education or creativity

There is a time and a place for swearing and in mixed company it is generally discouraged. This is common knowledge and taught to most respectable people. When used in stand-up comedy, it may be used to gain or maintain attention; but when used against someone, especially a young or vulnerable person, it can be devastating. Cursing is always a choice and not always well applied.