• Yes I Do

Someone who cusses is not using a filter on what they're saying. They're not trying to pretty up what they're saying, and not trying to find a 'nice' way to express thoughts. I personally find that if I'm in a conversation where I need to refrain from using any profanity, I'm more likely to be less than honest, as I'm already having to consciously filter what I'm saying.

• Swearing shows an extreme interest in the topic of discussion to the point of devotion.

If someone swears, it shows that they have a strong opinion about a subject, and believe that they need to show it in a more ration sense. People who swear are usually more honest, as they will speak their minds when they feel like it needs to be said, whether its harsh it not is another opinion

• Definitely More Honest

I feel like this is obvious. If you consciously censor yourself in situations where swearing isn't taboo (elementary school, job interview, etc) then that is a lie in itself. You are presenting a behavior that is not what you actually would present if you had no inhibitions. People who swear aren't trying to keep up an image like people who don't, and therefore are more honest because they don't care about peoples reactions. People who don't swear are worried about pleasing everyone, and will lie just so they don't rock the boat.

• To a degree.

Yes, people who swear, to my own experience, do tend to be more honest and straight forward. These people are usually very intelligent, but many times their vocabulary is shut down by people around them and may resort to swears as a way to get the point across as it conveys anything from importance of a situation to importance of an event to the person themselves. I will note however; I did say, "tend to be" for a reason, as some people merely swear as a means to sound "cool" or to make themselves seem bigger than they really are. I've also seen that people who swear, more often then not, tend to be more blunt and succinct with their answers, if, you were to cut out their swears.

• Diplomacy is not their drive to win popularity

People who don't worry so much about being politically correct tend to swear more in my experience which leads them to be more honest on which they speak of. They tend not to worry about diplomacy to win agreement & likeness so much as speaking their truth good or bad is of importance.

• Yes but only with their self'-expression

The studies that come close to something that can be perceived as showing more honesty is in "self-expression". But it doesn't conclude they are really a more honest person: it doesn't find that they are less likely to steal, or cheat on a test, or lie to you, etc... They simply are less concerned with what you think about their personal way of expressing themselves, which can be a form of honesty, but only a small portion of what we look for in a honest trustworthy persons.

Studies do show that cursing can help relieve pain, illicit feelings of power and control and even receive it from other because of its use. It can allow for non-violent retribution, provide humor, plus allow for better peer and social bonding.

Also, it can provide psychological and physical health: benefits of swearing include increased circulation, elevated endorphins, and an overall sense of calm, control, and well-being. The key is to do it sparingly and not to get angry at the same time, which is found to be very bad for you.

• Yes, more honest.

People who curse don't hold back. People who don't hold back aren't lying. They have nothing to hide. They aren't trying to pretend to be something. They also are not trying to make something sound good. While some may find it offensive, that does seem silly. They are just words.

• I'm agree with you

I'm agree with you because most of intelligent people use swear words and it shouldn't be weird. I'm writing this because some near of the country I wanna see results. Please don't waste my time or I'm gonna find you and kiss you :) ok ok I'm joking huh now it's 50

• Yes they are

People who swear are less concerned with what people think of them and can therefore speak more honestly. People who swear are not afraid to convey emotion like shock, dismay, excitement, and interest in a public way. People who swear want you to know what they think more than they want you to like them.

• Say what you mean.

If your reaction is to swear, and yet you do not. How are you being honest? A person who swears is being more honest because he/she is actually saying what they mean, instead of something different. If you stub you toe and yell $#!@ your being honest, if you stub your toe and say... Oh golly gee, you might not be so honest. I use this example because it is scientifically proven that swearing reduces pain!

• No They Aren't

People who swear are just as honest as everyone else in the world. Those that swear are not more moral, truthful, or righteous than anyone else. I really do not see how much a person swears would be a determining factor of how honest an individual is. Swearing isn't a good indicator of who lies and who doesn't/

• You really do not need to curse to tell people your opinion.

How is using swear words making you more honest? Personally I don't curse yet I try to be as honest as possible. You really do not need to curse to tell people your opinion. I can easily say I don't like that jacket, or I think you should stay out without cursing and I'm still being honest.

• People who swear a lot may not be honest.

There are two types of people, I believe. The ones who are honest and the ones who are not. Now swearing can be used as a powerful tool for intimidating the other person. It has been observed that people who are lying will swear more than the one who is telling the truth just to make his point more concrete. I personally don't believe that swearing can prove your point better.

My father, an honest man, always says that in an argument , the one who has a valid point will raise his voice. But the one with invalid point will raise his voice as well as try to offend the other person.
    Besides I don't believe in swearing. I am an honest man. And I never took support of this thing.

• A flawed stance

This question seems to actually be asking, "Are people who swear more honest than people who don't swear?"

Take a moment to think about this. Who do you know who is proficient in speaking a language who never, ever uses or has used a swear word? Nobody. Everybody who has proficiency in language has sworn within their life, probably multiple times.

This question seems to be looking for some quantifiable level of swearing, or perhaps some qualitative level of swearing. Are people who use f**k regularly more honest than people who limit their swears to the word a**hole?

Perhaps I should lace my words with s**t to add veracity to my claims.

It is not swear-words that make a person more honest, it is accountability. Holding yourself accountable for your actions, and accepting it from other people is the mark of an honest person, not whether they use a curse words as adverbs as a cheap effort to emphasize an emotional point.

• A Flawed Question

• No they aren't. There's no real proof (e.G.: scientific studies) to support the claim that people who swear more are more honest.

No they aren't. There's no real proof (e.G.: scientific studies) to support the claim that people who swear more are more honest.

There have been a number of attempts (behavioral studies) to actually answer this question.
    So far the results have been inconclusive. The "proofs" and "arguments" presented here (on debate.Org) by those who claim that people who swear more are more honest are anecdotal (at most), biased and statistically irrelevant.

Swearing is, in lots of cases:
    - an emotional outburst (correlated with various things, like the need to draw attention, for example)
    - an automatism (a behavioral routine)
    etc

Swearing is not a calculated decision to try to be more honest. In fact, some of the best liars (sociopaths, psychopaths, etc) are known to use swearing to emphasize a point of view or to try to dominate an audience.

• Depends on the individual

The environment you grew up in as well as genetics determines honesty. First hand experience tells me this. My ex and I grew up in the city where swearing is normal. As I got older I tried to control it more. He did not. After we married, I picked the habit up again. This man was extremely abusive, and cheated numerous times. He would do and say things and then twist it around to blame me for the problem. Even though I knew it would anger him in to want to fight with me I would always stand my ground and tell him exactly what was going on. Two of my children share this trait.
    What you have been taught, who your role models are, also plays a big part. It is on the news daily. These criminals swearing up a storm. They are not honest.

• Swearing is a lack of education or creativity

There is a time and a place for swearing and in mixed company it is generally discouraged. This is common knowledge and taught to most respectable people. When used in stand-up comedy, it may be used to gain or maintain attention; but when used against someone, especially a young or vulnerable person, it can be devastating. Cursing is always a choice and not always well applied.

• Swearing in my opinion is used at times to sound more convincing or believable

In all honesty, how can you measure someone who swears being more honest than someone who dosen't?
    Can this mean the more someone swears, the more honest they are?
    How about the offensiveness of the swear word i.e. More offensive = more honest?
    Or frequency, the more you swear, the more honest a person you are maybe?
    C'mon, peeps... The more you swear, the more convincing/believable you are trying to sound.

• I don't think so

The brain stores swear words in a separate part to regular vocabulary. Just because some brains store more obscene words (f*ck, sh*t, c*nt etc.) in that part than others (which may store words like crap, shoot, dammit), does not mean they are more honest. Being more vulgar just means you store different words in that part of the brain. Perhaps if people who exclaim more or use words they store in that part of the brain more often, they MAY be more likely to speak their mind. However, I doubt it. I rarely swear but I am one who speaks their mind, which may be a good or a bad thing.