Are Percy Jackson books better than Harry Potter books?

Asked by: devki
  • Percy Jackson is Darker, and Better

Ok, let me just start this out by saying I ADORE Harry Potter and it was the first fandom I joined, and it really sticks with me, unlike other fandoms. And, Harry Potter is quite dark, but in a more, emotional way. If you've read House of Hades, you'll see that there are aspects of it that are horrifying, and there are some parts, especially Nico's, that were almost nauseatingly scary the first time I read them. One Example is when Nico confesses to having a crush on Percy. He is scared, and manipulated, to the point that for a while, I didn't know if he was 'good' anymore. Then again, I really like dark books, so I'm a bit biased. Another point is diversity. There has always been a slightly ongoing battle in the HP fandom about sexualities, race, sexism, and just pretty controversial subjects. In PJO and more so HOO, there are children with conflicted sexualities (see House of Hades), Racial diversity (examples: Leo, Reyna, Hylla, Frank, Hazel, Piper, Drew, Charlie, Ethan, and possibly Percy himself. (There are many theories going around that he's South Asian, but idk). And in that way, it's so PERFECT, cause it goes to show that all these people are people, and they can have terrible, HORRIBLE, flaws, but that is what makes them human, (not fully, though).

• Persassy is awesome

I am obsessed with both series, but I must admit, Percy is funnier and more lovable. Percy has gone on many quests, sneaking out of camp (risking his life while doing that, btw, the harpies are vicious), and saved the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD, not just the WiZARDING world, like Harry. Harry has never "snuck" out of Hogwarts. In the last book, Harry has not even gone to Hogwarts; he never snuck out. Percy is also related to A GOD. Harry... Beat that.

• Percy Jackson is something that I've grown up with.

Telling me that Harry Potter has "more depth" and that Percy Jackson is "so predictable" really annoys me. I wonder why people forget everything that they read, especially when it comes to Percy Jackson.

Percy Jackson grew up just like Harry Potter did. Albeit in a more subtle way (since this is really pointed more towards a younger audience), but it still gave readers an awesome feeling. People, even people on the Percy Jackson side, forget about things that happen in Percy Jackson. It isn't all humor. Percy learns a great deal on his journey. People die. He gets blamed for the death of someone important to one of the main supporting characters, someone who ends up changing drastically because of the death. Every single one of these deaths affect him.

He learns that sometimes you need to accept your current situation. He learns that there are people you can't trust, and that things change. He learns, especially, not to give up. There was a certain part of the last book that really showed this, and it was when he gave Hestia Hope, telling her that Hope survives best at the Hearth.
    I love the surprises in the book, too. People overlook Percy Jackson as a book that only hits the surface. Harry Potter, in comparison, is really deep. But Percy Jackson has character growth. Take a look at Nico D'angelo. He's gone through the death of his sister, and he realized that he should have never trusted Percy in the first place. He loses faith in the main character. And it hurts Percy. I can't think of one moment where this happens in Harry Potter.

There is so much more that I can say about Percy Jackson, but I think no one will read this if it's too long. Please read this. It actually makes more sense than just: PJO ALL THE WAYYYYYY!!!

• I like Percy Jackson books because

Pj rocks thats all i can say . Percy Jackson has a high amount of humor and in harry potter the humor is pretty less compared to percy jackson
    yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yoyoyoyoyo yo yo yo yo yo yo

• I like Percy Jackson books because

• PJ all the way

Harry is too boring and hairy. Got no humor. Percy is funny and heroic. I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I. I I I

• Percy Jackson, like obviously.

Harry Potter is awesome at d beginning bot it gets boring at d end. In d PJ series d books improve. It's also more interesting and fun filled. It has made me 💜 Greek mythology. Percy Jackson is way cuter and way more interesting than HP. U get 2 know d characters better and u can actually feel wat they r thinking btw, writing a book like d Percy Jackson series is a great deal harder than d HP series. U have 2 relate everything which is really tough! I repeat : PERCY JACKSON IS WAY BETTER!!! ❤️ PJ

• Better, hero, humor, characters, plot

Percy is so much more relatable than Harry. He makes mistakes, and he has all these little flaws and goofs that make him such a character. Harry Potter doesn't really have that much humor, and Percy Jackson does, making Percy Jackson a much more enjoyable read. Plus, you really get in to the story and adventure, unlike Harry Potter, cause most of it just happens at Hogwarts. Plus there's more action. And you have so many relatable badarse heroic characters. The Percy Jackson books will stay with me forever, and will always be my favorites

• I love percy jackson

Percy Jackson is way better than harry potter because you learn more and feel like your in the scenes. Whilst harry potter has no suspence, it just goes on and on and on, it is truly boring! There are no new charecters in the opposing book when percy jackson gets new charecters in every book. Percy Jackson teaches you about how the world is, what friendship and love truly means, ancient greek history if you will! Percy jackson is more adventerous and interesting! Harry potter just keeps scaring the kids but most of harry potter has movies which completly kills all the suspense. Its a good thing that pj has only 2 movies! Percy Jackson is the best!

• Percy Jackson is better than the Harry Potter series

As much as I love Harry Potter I love the Percy Jackson better, the characters are more interesting and being the children of Gods I think that's pretty dam (pjo reference) cool. Percy Jackson isn't as dark and miserable as Harry Potter and in a lot of ways, the two stories are similar, I guess when we get to Heroes of Olympus it changes but in the percy Jackson series we have three main characters, Percy, Annabeth and Grover and in hp we have Harry, Ron and Hermione. In the last book of both series two of the main characters will eventually get together. But as far as movies go, Harry Potter is better, I've been to the actual set and it's as similar as the books, they have privet drive, the bridge, the door to the chamber of secrets and etc. the pjo movies sucked! They got the ages completely wrong, annabeth is brunette! (But at least she's blonde in s.O.M) grover is nothing like, well, grover! And don't get me started on Percy! So for the books percy Jackson is better but for the movies Harry Potter is!

• Harry Potter is beyond compare !!

On the opposite to Percy Jackson, Harry Potter is written with depth and significance. The jokes in PJ are pathetic and can make laugh only 7-year- old child. The monsters and level of their intelligence is so pitiful that makes you sick. H.P is created for more mature reader. The first books (1,2) are (I admit) written in a childish way (but way better and mature than PJ) but later on they become darker what's incredible. I also reckon that P.J. Is quite based on H.P. I know generally is differnt. P.J- greek mitology H.P- magic, wizards etc. But both books has main male character who's brave and comes to completely new world than he has known before , also he has to save the world. He has friends - smart girl who's wise and sensible and has brilliant ideas and funny boy who jokes and everything. It seems that R. Riordan found out that H.P series had turned out to be unbelievably successful so he decided to write his own books based on similiar schema. That's the truth. You may not see it because you're so in love with P.J and just you're blind or you simply have grow up.

• I love both books, but I think Harry Potter is better.

I am a HUGE Percy Jackson fan, but Harry Potter is a lot deeper, and much more in depth with characters. Also, I didn't feel that anything was rushed in the Harry Potter series, which I find cool, swing the development of characters over 7 years. But overall, they are both AMAZING series, despite differences.

• Percy Jackson all the way!

I have reed the books 7 times and cry each time when someone dies I love me next series and cry of joy when I get a new book ! It's amazing
    Thought when I read the Harry potter book you can feel that j.K Rowling has been bored and that she says hey why not kill that character there is to much explains to do so whatever but in Percy Jackson series you are meant to be there you can see it is as if you were there known the caracters all your life ,So Percy Jackson is part of my life I stared reading when I was 9 and now I am 14 I just can t get enough of it ! I love the funny titles the jokes the existent the en

• Harry Potter is much better.

The argument is self explanatory. Which book series has had more readers, more people buying the books and also which book series has been made into a more successful movie series? The answer to all of them is the Harry Potter books by J,K. Rowling. There is no more proof needed to show that they are better than the Percy Jackson.

• Harry otter all the way❤

I personally think it is enter because Harry Potter is just amazing. It supports the idea of friendship, goodness, and taking over the bad even when it seems impossible. And I mean, what is Percy Jackson supposed to support? Sure, the good guys win, but there are millions of other books where the good guys win too. Harry Potter teaches the life lesson that sometimes evil won't go away, but there can be a way to avoid it. Percy Jackson just tries to fill our minds with the thought that good guys will always win, when I reality it's not true at all. I'm just staring my point that Harry Potter seems a little better to me and I love it with all my heart GOD BLESS J.K. ROWLING

• Harry Potter is way better than Percy Jackson

First of all, Harry Potter is WAY better written then the Percy Jackson books, where Harry grows up through all 7 books. Percy is always the same person and always acts the same way like a normal teenager. Harry goes through much more pain and emotion, which makes the story more intriguing. Also, it has a much larger universe, from the section in Universal Studios, and in the Pottermore website. Also, the series is still going on. There will be 4 knew Fantastic Beasts and where to find them movies. The Percy Jackson franchise has only 5 books in the series and only 2 movies (where the 2nd movie was a disappointment).

• Harry Potter too much better than Percy Jackson

There are a lot of reasons why Harry Potter is much better than Percy Jackson. For one, Harry Potter is written much better, with more detail and emotion. Percy Jackson is just for immature and kiddish teenagers who don't care about the world and only care about themselves. Harry Potter also has a larger community and fan universe. There are a lot of fan communities discussing what happens after the epilogue. Harry Potter also has a more active community and is still having knew movies (the four knew fantastic Beasts movies) and even though the Percy Jackson still has the new books about Apollo as a mortal (as of February 2017) but Harry Potter has much more in store for their fans.

• It is not as emotional!!

Just no!
    HP is part of you... You can always go back to the books and feel nostalgic! The characters are relatable and you get more and more attached to them as you read.
    In the Percy Jackson series, the plot is always the same... Percy fights a monster.... THAT IS IT!!!!
    In the HP books, you get to experience many aspects of life, if you read it as an adult, PJ is much more childish.

• Harry Potter is just straight up awesome.

I am a proud supporter of both fandoms. However, whenever this question is asked, I simply must say Harry Potter is better. Let us start with the authors. Rick Riordan is a great writer who has written many series' throughout his life. But J.K. Rowling has DEDICATED HER LIFE to Harry Potter. When one inspects the story lines of the books in question, Harry Potter has a deeper meaning to everything he experiences. I will not elaborate on this point too much as there may be many who have not yet read the books. Percy Jackson's story is much more straight-forward; not very many plot twists. When J.K. Rowling wrote some small points in the first few books, they turned out to be quite significant to the entire plot toward the end of the series. Admit it, Rowling thinks of EVERYTHING. She still gives her fans more details on the Wizarding World (such as the fact that Dumbledore was indeed gay or that America had its own wizarding school). And it has been 20 YEARS since the release of the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! Now to the movies. I believe anyone who has read the Percy Jackson books knows how crappy the movies are, and I agree. Many blame the directors and writers of the movie for this. But what if it was because Rick Riordan didn't specify the assets to different characters? For example, Percy is mostly believed to be Latino (because of the placing of his home). In Harry Potter, Rowling ensures that a straight-forward description of the characters is provided. Also, Percy Jackson is based almost entirely on Greek Mythology. Many of the terms and characters Riordan uses in the books are of or relating to Greek origin, including the name of the may character. J.K. Rowling created names for almost everything, including Transfiguration, Herbology, Gringotts, Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Ilvermorny. She created a whole world. What did Rick come up with? Camp Half-Blood. I mean honestly, who is more creative in this scenario? Even Rowling's choice of name for the female protagonist role was rare. And to anyone who claims Harry Potter is a plain copy of Percy Jackson, check the dates on which they were published (HP = 1997 | PJ = 2005). Case closed.

• Long live Harry James Potter!

The only real argument Percy Jackson fans have is that their books are more humorous. Even at that, the jokes are very childish and sound unrealistic coming from teenagers. Mr. Riordan claims both series are similar because of the Hero's Journey, but does the Hero's Journey say you just have green eyes, black hair, smart female friend and a funny sidekick? No. Blue is often associated with the sea, but NOOOO, Percy's eyes have to be green. Sorry, I meant sea-green. What a difference. Percy is the same rude and sarcastic brat from the Lightning Thief in the Last Olympian. I admit, he had some character development, but all of that went away when Heroes of Olympus started. The Harry Potter books can be read be by readers of all ages (Stephen King commented on it), but Percy Jackson books can only be read by people interested an imature book. Out of the Seven, Leo, Jason, Hazel and Frank are the characters that I love and that aren't as flat as Piper, Annabeth and Percy. Annabeth has always been a Percy-addict but Hermione keeps fighting alongside Harry when Ron needs to sort his priorities. It's like Annabeth was specifically made for Percy- the smart to his stupidity. Also, she HAS to be this hot bombshell who know one else at Camp liked. Ginevra becomes more outspoken and less shy, eventually dating Harry Potter. I haven't even gotten into the a actual writing, but I don't need to. Harry Potter is and always be superior.