Are pets just animals with Stockholm Syndrome?

Asked by: SNP1
  • When I first

Bring a pet home, they are restless little beasts. The only time they don't act like they don't want to be there is if they are towards the end of their life. Even little animals act a little crazy. Well, maybe they aren't, but I do not actually know for sure.

Posted by: SNP1
  • This Makes No Sense

I have a cat that still goes outside regularly and hunts. Sure, some animals may appear to chage their behavior after being domesticated, but I wouldn't classify this as a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Animals can learn to re-adapt to the wild if need be. Animals are just very flexible.

• They Choose to Stay

They don't exactly care either way. If they did, they would probably run off, which some do. But you can not say the ones that stay have Stockholm syndrome, because they do not initially develop hatred when first domesticated as a person would. Also Harley Quinn is bae. That's all.

• No, Just No.

There is a drastic difference between domestication and Stockholm Syndrome. Domestication is an adaptation of animals to be beneficial to humans. Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where captives sympathize and identify with their captors, creating an illusion that your captor is treating you with kindness, rather than abuse. At worst, pets are animals obeying in order to survive; at best, pets are animals in symbiotic relations with humans.

• This Makes No Sense

• Some but not most.

Dogs are definitely not and cats do what they want. Other more exotic animals possibly. The last theory I am aware of that explains how dogs came to be goes like this. Certain wolves wether they where just less aggressive or weaker than other wolves began feeding off the scraps our ancestors left behind and eventually became accustom to humans even protective of them being that humans are there food source. Humans began to see the wolves as useful first for protection then for other purposes. A symbiotic relationship evolved the dog gets a stable food supply and the human gets protection among other things. Cats are likely a similar story, human settlements attracted rodents which then attracted small cat species. The rodents became a problem getting into the food supplies, humans therefore didn't mind cats living among them after all theses where not large cats capable of doing much of any harm to humans. Eventually humans became fond of them while still giving them freedom to hunt. Some people even thought them to be sacred. So as far as cats and dogs are concerned no but pets like lizard snakes and birds yes they are in a way.

mishapqueen says2015-01-07T17:20:24.763
LOL