• Pilots get plenty of sleep.

The reality of flying for long distances is now that the plane does most of the work. The pilot is there to monitor the automatic systems and make occasional adjustments. Most extended flights require the pilot to operate the plane about 20% of the time. Aside from this, the FAA strictly enforces rest standards between flights and for prolonged flights.

• The rules make sure they do.

Yes, I believe that pilots are getting enough sleep. There are a multitude of federal safety laws they must follow. Also, there is no way an airline is going to jeopardize their multi million dollar airliners by putting them in the hands of an exhausted crew. Pilots get plenty of sleep.

• Yes, they are.

Having worked at an air port, I do think pilots are getting enough sleep. I have met and spoke with many of them, and they, more than often, get at least a day before they make their next flights. Yes, the overnight flights are hard, but they tend to make up for the hours

• No, pilots aren't getting enough sleep.

Commercial pilots definitely are not getting enough sleep. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, there have been accidents resulting from pilots being tired. Pilots are even honest about the fact that they're often dealing with fatigue. There should be more rules and better flight scheduling to allow them to get the sleep they need to think and be able to fly safely.

• No They Aren't

I have my doubts pilots are getting enough sleep. I think the problem lies with the fact that airlines don't actually pay these professionals enough money to perform their job, especially given their position of importance. This is effect leads to pilots flying to often and often without enough sleep.