• Not always, but more often than you think

This would not be true for a place in Africa, but I find it to be true in America. Everyone has access to education. Education in the USA in mandatory. If a person does well in school, then they can go to college. If they go to college, they can get a job. If a person loses their job, they can find another one. In South Georgia, their was a labor crisis in which there was no one to pick the crops farmers grew. People thought that work was beneath them. As long as there is stuff like this happening, it is the poor people's fault. However, poor children are not responsible for poverty, but their parents are.

• Yes and No

While poverty can be caused by the individual or not is a good question. Most people in poverty are to lazy to work or to lazy to do anything so they sit there in there sorrow blaming society for them being in poverty. To defend the poor who do work and nothing helps, such as a single mom or so on it is very difficult for them to keep money when raising children for instance: clothing, schooling, food, etc. I see both sides of the argument having a point.

• Hard work + talent = opportunity

In the US, k-12 education is free. Students cannot be denied loans, so everyone can also obtain higher education, then work to pay if off later. If a student works hard, studies hard, and focuses on developing their critical thinking and written and spoken communication it is very easy to set themselves apart from the crowd with internships, publications, assistantships, and scholarships, especially for minorities, or just with stellar grades. It is not easy to emerge from poverty, it takes years of hard work. But developing wealth takes years of hard work, even for ordinary people. I was not poor, but my parents didn't give me any wealth, except for a wealth of good values. I went to public school, used student loans to pay for college, and now I have scholarships for graduate school. Anyone willing to make good choices and work hard can find their way out of poverty, or at lead and coach their children out of poverty.

• I agree by that

In modern world anyone can become rich by just simple methods . There are thousands of ways to earn a handsome amount of money. Also poor people atleast most of them never try to overcome their situations. In the end bill gates saying is all that left which says it,s your own fault if you die poor.

• Usually a persons fault

Even if you are born into poverty it is not impossible to get out of it. If you are born into a poor family, that person just has to work harder. Many people who are poor in America are just lazy! They either have children outside of marriage or they just don't want to work and would rather live off the government. If God wanted you to be poor than that person would be happy. Its also what you consider poor! Is poor not being able to have every life luxury? If you have life's necessities like food, water, shelter then technically you are not poor.

• Having multiple children out of wed lock

Women who have multiple children with different partners who in turn do not support the children basically screws you for life. If you are on welfare and you don't work, you have NO business having children. But due to our government handout policies these women bilk the system by having children they can't support in order to get more government aid. There is little chance you will get out of poverty if your are unmarried and have 6 kids.

• Definitely a choice

There is a saying from where I come from : "God won't help you he already gave you the power to succeed" well unless you are born poor,deaf,retarded,blind etc in that case you have no way out ... Remember the nature is brutal and we are part of mothers abandon or kill their own children if they are born weak other animals for example bears kill the children of other bears to have less competition the strongest and fastest survive the weak die the most gifted ones will pass on their genes or extinguish that's why if you are unable to make it you just die either way the choice to be poor is yours only

• The born poor agruement

The mere fact that anyone is born poor is evidence of them being raised by a family of low IQ individuals. Any critically thinking and concerned parents would have the foresight and discipline to make sure that their children have the most possible financial resources available. People who do otherwise are financially irresponsible and will most likely raise their children to be the same as well. Such individuals in my opinion are not deserving of sympathy.

• YES a a.

N.A(a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a .

• There is always a way

Being poor is no excuse, there is always a way to excel at something. Money does not make you good or bad at things, it's usually a choice.
    Coming from a lower class up bringing, it wasn't always easy to get what you want or need. But I had to work for what I wanted. I excelled in school and did well in sports, started working at a young age and put myself thru tech school... I'm striving to give my children more than I had.
    It's a choice, you can choose to excel or sit on your ass

• Poverty is not a choice

You can be born into a poor family. Once born into it it is hard to get out of it. They wont have money to pay for a good school so you might not get a good job. Without a good job you will most likely stay in poverty. Even having a little bit of money it will be hard to have a job because money will be used in transportation.

• No, poor people are not responsible for their poverty.

I believe that poor people are not responsible for their poverty. The problem is that poverty is a vicious cycle. If you are born into poverty it is difficult to escape. There are so many problems that contribute to poverty. I live in a high poverty area with few jobs and high housing costs. It's hard to climb out of poverty if you have to live on a job that only pays minimum wage. Many people work hard and just can't get ahead. Poverty is not their fault.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'wellfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'welfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• The poor are not to blame.

Many people may say that poor individuals can easily make it out of poverty. All they have to do is work hard, stay in school, make good choices, etc. If they do all this, they would not be poor. If this were true, then poverty would not be as big of an issue as it is now. There are thousands of people wanting to get out of poverty but are not able to do so, no matter how hard they work. Poverty is not the fault of an individual, poverty goes beyond the individual. There are many structural influences, historical attributes, social issues, and environmental effects that play a big role in poverty. If a child is born into a poor family it will be difficult to escape. One cannot compare an individual born into a good family with money to a person born into poverty. That's like saying I will give this person a car along with $500 of cash, and to the other person, all they get is a pair of shoes and a dollar. Now, who can travel 1,000 miles first?

• The poor are not to blame.

• The poor are not to blame.

• The poor are not to blame.

• No, I would say it is not the fault of the majority of the poor.

I realize in the West, many (including myself) live in a kind of bubble. While I have a roof over my head and barely enough to pay for rent and food, poor by American standards may be rich by Brazilian Favelas standards.

If you’re born into a kill or be killed environment, without money or the opportunity to make money legitimately, plus drug traffickers and police wars everyday.. Would you be able to teach yourself to read and forget about making a buck to eat, considering things like fixing the huge gaping holes in the wall, random bullet holes and cracks and openings in the ceiling?

Now combine this with a government that doesn’t seemed to concerned about you or your future, and as a result provide no funding for education. No funding to help turn these slums around, not even in small meadures. How much confidence would this give you?

People who double-down and say things like, lazy good for nothings need to get off their asses and break out of their own conditions have most likely never had an experience that allows them to relate even remotely.

*I know some of you have had it rough, and though the circumstances might be different, you can relate to the struggle on some level.

So who’s fault is this? The government of that particular country? It feels that way to me. While things are bad in Brazil, things are also bad in the United States. Before countries can lend aid to other questions, they have to get their own house in order.

I’d also like to add that it’s also the responsibility of the people struggling to come together and discuss how they themselves can make everyone’s life better by being more kind, giving and less He’ll bent on the torture and killings which are too often the first course of action.

Bullish says2013-05-08T22:08:18.593
It depends. Some people are born into poverty with no means to rise, some are born millionaires and drink themselves into poverty.