• Not always, but more often than you think

This would not be true for a place in Africa, but I find it to be true in America. Everyone has access to education. Education in the USA in mandatory. If a person does well in school, then they can go to college. If they go to college, they can get a job. If a person loses their job, they can find another one. In South Georgia, their was a labor crisis in which there was no one to pick the crops farmers grew. People thought that work was beneath them. As long as there is stuff like this happening, it is the poor people's fault. However, poor children are not responsible for poverty, but their parents are.

• Hard work + talent = opportunity

In the US, k-12 education is free. Students cannot be denied loans, so everyone can also obtain higher education, then work to pay if off later. If a student works hard, studies hard, and focuses on developing their critical thinking and written and spoken communication it is very easy to set themselves apart from the crowd with internships, publications, assistantships, and scholarships, especially for minorities, or just with stellar grades. It is not easy to emerge from poverty, it takes years of hard work. But developing wealth takes years of hard work, even for ordinary people. I was not poor, but my parents didn't give me any wealth, except for a wealth of good values. I went to public school, used student loans to pay for college, and now I have scholarships for graduate school. Anyone willing to make good choices and work hard can find their way out of poverty, or at lead and coach their children out of poverty.

• I agree by that

In modern world anyone can become rich by just simple methods . There are thousands of ways to earn a handsome amount of money. Also poor people atleast most of them never try to overcome their situations. In the end bill gates saying is all that left which says it,s your own fault if you die poor.

• Usually a persons fault

Even if you are born into poverty it is not impossible to get out of it. If you are born into a poor family, that person just has to work harder. Many people who are poor in America are just lazy! They either have children outside of marriage or they just don't want to work and would rather live off the government. If God wanted you to be poor than that person would be happy. Its also what you consider poor! Is poor not being able to have every life luxury? If you have life's necessities like food, water, shelter then technically you are not poor.

• Having multiple children out of wed lock

Women who have multiple children with different partners who in turn do not support the children basically screws you for life. If you are on welfare and you don't work, you have NO business having children. But due to our government handout policies these women bilk the system by having children they can't support in order to get more government aid. There is little chance you will get out of poverty if your are unmarried and have 6 kids.

• Definitely a choice

There is a saying from where I come from : "God won't help you he already gave you the power to succeed" well unless you are born poor,deaf,retarded,blind etc in that case you have no way out ... Remember the nature is brutal and we are part of mothers abandon or kill their own children if they are born weak other animals for example bears kill the children of other bears to have less competition the strongest and fastest survive the weak die the most gifted ones will pass on their genes or extinguish that's why if you are unable to make it you just die either way the choice to be poor is yours only

• The born poor agruement

The mere fact that anyone is born poor is evidence of them being raised by a family of low IQ individuals. Any critically thinking and concerned parents would have the foresight and discipline to make sure that their children have the most possible financial resources available. People who do otherwise are financially irresponsible and will most likely raise their children to be the same as well. Such individuals in my opinion are not deserving of sympathy.

• YES a a.

N.A(a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a .

• There is always a way

Being poor is no excuse, there is always a way to excel at something. Money does not make you good or bad at things, it's usually a choice.
    Coming from a lower class up bringing, it wasn't always easy to get what you want or need. But I had to work for what I wanted. I excelled in school and did well in sports, started working at a young age and put myself thru tech school... I'm striving to give my children more than I had.
    It's a choice, you can choose to excel or sit on your ass

• For sure. For sure

Poverty is self-caused for sure!
    First of all, education here in North America is free,
    plus someone who has a full-time job will remain well above the poverty line. Its up to them to get a job get education and in general get a life aasw wwyf wug e eej

• Poverty is not a choice

You can be born into a poor family. Once born into it it is hard to get out of it. They wont have money to pay for a good school so you might not get a good job. Without a good job you will most likely stay in poverty. Even having a little bit of money it will be hard to have a job because money will be used in transportation.

• No, poor people are not responsible for their poverty.

I believe that poor people are not responsible for their poverty. The problem is that poverty is a vicious cycle. If you are born into poverty it is difficult to escape. There are so many problems that contribute to poverty. I live in a high poverty area with few jobs and high housing costs. It's hard to climb out of poverty if you have to live on a job that only pays minimum wage. Many people work hard and just can't get ahead. Poverty is not their fault.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'wellfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'welfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• It isn't their fault. But things can be done about it.

Some people are born into families that are poor or born into poverty stricken countries. However it is not the fault of the rich. There are things that could be done to make sure there is less poverty, such as the government making a scheme that people who are very poor and who are born into poverty get a monthly or yearly food or housing allowance. Also, if people have the opportunity to go to school they can study get a job and get out of being poor. The story is different in different countries and a lot of the time the government or leader of the country could make a difference. I don't think poverty is the fault of the poor.

• They definitely aren't - at least not all of them

Many of the arguments saying they are are flawed. For instance, the claim that education is free - not really. Though technically anyone can go to public school, some of those public schools are terrible. Certainly the ones in my town are. Where I live, only people who go to private schools really excel. And if your education isn't good, it's much harder to go to college and thus get a good job.

• Absolutely not. Basic economics.

Absolutely not. Everyone who's in the "Yes" category isn't looking at it from the global level, but rather the individual level. Yes, any single person can work extremely hard and breakout out of poverty. The problem is that globally it's impossible. There's always going to be groups of people living in poverty no matter what.

We live in a culture where having a lot of money is deemed "successful". It's something you should strive for and if you just listen to motivational speeches, work really hard and believe in yourself you can achieve it!
    But why is it deemed successful?
    Well... Having a lot of money means you can afford things.
    What does "affording things" mean?
    It simply means that you you are able to buy clothes, food, coffee etc... You able to buy these things because the people who made them make more often than not make less than you. That's our society, it is making enough money so you can take advantage of those making less than you. We're never going to get to a point where every single person in every single country is making a minimum of $50,000 USD/year. That's absolutely impossible. There's always going disparities between countries and disparities within those countries. It's not a simple matter of "work hard and you'll get there..." It's human nature. Human's are always going to strive to take advantage of others to benefit their own lives. So yes, you can sit there and simply say "Hey stop being a bum and work hard and you'll have it all", but globally it's not possible and will continue for thousands of years.

• It's not completely their fault?

Once you are brought up in a low income home and come from an unfortunate situation for example drug addicted parents, ect,is very hard to learn financial discipline which is the most critical factor in changing your circumstance. I disagree that Americans should be able to get out of poverty no problem...We are all aware that this country has fincial institutions that pray upon I'll educated consumers..For example auto loans credit cards, which puts people in risk adverse situations, where let's say they would be too scared to look for a better job for fear it wouldn't pay as well or they might not be as good at it as the job they are currently holding

• No it's not their fault

I neda s fdorjgi erngjdf erfjrfhutrh dejhfiurhgi dfhrigh r rfjrie f fr rgrt gtr ferg grtgrt grtgtrg fv rtgrt grt gb rg r g trg tr rt g tr gt rg tr g rg g g r g r g rtg t rg r g r g reg r g r g

Bullish says2013-05-08T22:08:18.593
It depends. Some people are born into poverty with no means to rise, some are born millionaires and drink themselves into poverty.