• Twist it all you want

There is no such thing as a "porn star". A man made concept to legitimize prostitution. The world is notoriously full of fools since the beginning. History has proven it time and again. The evildoers who promote immorality are the same ones who run government and politics. As well as horde the highest financial wealth in the world. What has taken centuries to build is being deconstructed. Bad things are being redefined as good. And babies born in this generation are being raised to be mentally conditioned to accept immoral things. This is truly aligned with the wisdom of holy scriptures. Just because you choose to accept something, that does not mean its acceptable.

I have complete faith and trust in collective wisdom as handed down from thousands of years. Only a complete dummy would ignore that in favor of modern thinking, which is ALWAYS limited. Popular culture always has a short term memory. Due to fear of being told on by the past. Look upon today's youth and see just how much they DON'T know about the past. People were once much more intelligent. Even without all of today's technology and man-made academia. True wisdom comes from spiritual growth. Void of selfish driven endeavors that serve no purpose other than to consume and indulge.

Whores will always be whores. And they will always be dysfunctional and destructive to relational stability. Hence the reason why the whore business has always been full of violence, abuse, drugs, and perversity. It is an abomination to the long term cycle of life. Just like homosexuality and other self indulgent behaviors.

• Yes and . . .

Yes, they are paid to have sex. That by itself would make them a prostitute. They have sex on camera for pay, which makes them a both pornstar and a prostitute. They could be "actresses" if they perform a role in a screenplay, if not, they could just be said to be "performers." And they could do either, depending. Most people associate "prostitute" with street hooking, which is the commonly perceived low end of that sex work occupation, and so draw a distinction between prostitution and pornography performing. That distinction is illusory, and really a matter of selectivity in venue, marketing and choice of clientele.

Whether they perform other sexual activities for money is irrelevant to the pornstar activity--feature dancing, escorting with the expectation of providing sexual services--as is the level of exclusivity and selectivity they apply.

• Both Make A Living From Sex with Strangers

It's basically the same. I use to be involved in the industry and can tell you that a lot of the women in porn were in the escort and call girl industry before deciding to do the same thing in front of a camera. There's a reason the industry is run and headed by mostly men. It's just like being their pimp.

• Of course they are

Pornography = Porne - graphy
    Greek word. Porne means whore in Greek. Graphy means to write.
    So literally it's the writings of a whore. By the way, there's not even one legit argument on the opposite side. As long as you are getting paid for sex, you are a prostitute.

• Yes they are.

Definition for prostitution "A woman or a man who engages in sexual intercourse for money or some other benefit". It really doesn't matter whether they are doing it on or off camera they're performing sexual acts for money and that makes it commercial sex or prostitution. If both porn stars and prostitutes are doing the same thing for money what makes them different from each other.

• Yes they are prostitutes.

• Porn is literally prostitution on camera.

It makes no sense to distinguish porn from prostitution. Porn is literally filmed prostitution. You need a degree in philosophy to think otherwise.
    One of the things I don't like about porn is that if it weren't for the porn industry, all those great looking porn women would be available as prostitutes for the rest of us (at affordable prices). Instead given the way things are, only porn actors get to have sex with them.

• Yes, of course they are

And it should be legal and regulated. I think someone stated the difference is that a porn "star" has choices. If the prostitute does something unwillingly then that is something entirely different.

The word pornography originates from the Greek pornographos "(one) depicting prostitutes," and from porne "prostitute".

The only reason this is a debate is because we all try to rationalize morally questionable behavior by making it fun ("star"). Just call it what it is and accept that these "stars" (male and female) are selling their bodies for money and we are all buying it.

• Yes or No are not shades of gray

Sex (as work) + pay = prostitution. A wife getting money from her husband is not a prostitute. The couple is a family; they have roles in the relationship and it is monogamous. A person taking money from another who is not their spousal partner and who is engaging in any form of sex (from intercourse to teasing) as a sold or bartered commodity, is engaging in prostitution. Hookers, sexual nude models, strippers, porn "stars" etc. are all a type of prostitute. To take the gray shades out - A type a prostitute is a prostitute. A type of prostitution = prostitution. Should all types of prostitution be illegal? That's a different discussion and one where the shades of gray might matter.

• Yes it is.

Prostitutes do it for money and to pay bills too. The only difference is they don't want to get famous or be on camera. They should make prostitution legal and regulate it too because they are both immoral. They are doing the same thing for different and similar reasons but one is accepted and one is not when they are both having sex with strangers for money.

• Pornography is an art. You wouldn't call Angelina Jolie a whore for acting in sex scenes in her films...

When I think of prostitution I think of something illegal, but apparently the definition of prostitution is simply being paid for sexual activity. Meanwhile sexual activity is very broad and at this point I find it necessary to consider the motive, intent, purpose in the sexual activity. The creation of an art form, certainly at least under legal circumstances, should not be compared to something illegal when the entire process from start to finish is completely different, safety regulations are in place and payroll checks are involved.

• Maybe I'm a porn star.

Doesn't mean I sell sex to random strangers. I actually am in fact a porn star but I wouldn't consider myself a prostitute, sure I have sex on camera with people I don't know very well but that doesn't mean that I believe that the government has any say of what I do with my body so no, Porn stars are not prostitutes. We work. We get paid for our JOB to pay bills and taxes and be just like every one else.

• No, they are getting paid to do a job.

A porn star is paid to do a job. The fact that I may not be able to do it, does not mean I have the right to tell them they can't. Men and women alike are in that industry. They have a job to do, they get paid for it. They are having sex on camera for entertainment. Everyone has to pay the bills, that is just how they choose to do it. It is sex between consenting adults, to produce a product that will not only entertain the masses, but provide for them as well. Prostitution is illegal, this is not. It may be something many do not agree with, but ultimately, the porn stars have bills to pay too.

I think that over all, the biggest issue that most people have, is that they would not be able to do it. The moral aspect of what they do, is not something many can accept. I have known a few who have done it, and they have fun with what they do. They are people just like you and I. They are comfortable with what they do, so who am I to say they can't or look down on them for how they choose to earn a living?

Society has hang ups about sex in general. We are conditioned to accept one man or one woman. If you are a blended relationship that is Poly. It would meet with equal resistance because it is something out of the norm. If you have a night out with the fella's and meet two or three women, what is the difference? If this were a guy, he would be a stud, if this were a woman, she would not be looked upon as fairly. That being said, one could also make the argument, that marriage is legal prostitution. Many people marry for money, love, status, who knows, but it happens every day. Who is the bad guy now? Is it any better because she has the piece of paper? No, she or he just chooses to hide in the closet and be the "perfect wife" under the guise of the money or the status. It's all in how you see it. Porn stars get paid at the end of the day, it's legal, and professional. No problem from where I sit.

• No, It's a show

The majority of porn stars don't get paid every-time, and some would do scenes for fun.

A prostitute usually has a set fee provided for different services, or an hourly rate, if they are bottom feeders then they just do it for a quick buck.

A cup is any of a variety of drink ware used to consume food or beverage.
    Since I can put candy snacks in my socks, put them on the counter then consume it later, then its safe to deduct socks are cups.
    That's the logic I read to from the yes side. They get this therefore this. But if I walk up to a restaurant and I get my food placed in a sock it would be unacceptable.
    While some my utilize the small article of clothing for food consumption, it was never the design intent.

A "porn star" is obviously someone who is performing a show. Intercourse and having sex are not required to be a porn star. You can Argue that oral sex counts, but not everyone is hardcore.

Even if they all were, they have different intentions, prostitution usually is combined with desperation, drugs, under age children, sex trafficking. While porn is monitored and regulated.

Primary Intent is different so they are different, forget recording. I doubt there are prostitutes that say "I want to become famous and have everyone know what I do." Obviously, since there is some shady business going on somewhere, and its all about the money ,or drugs. Otherwise why wouldn't they just become porn stars.

Prostitute, the Latin word it comes from, translates into "put up for sale" aka selling the person, but the men and the women BOTH get paid normally, especially in the case of a "Star" so therefore no, they are different.

Not all socks are cups, not all porn stars are hookers, does not mean none are, or they would never do it, but it does not define them as a whole, it's on an individual human level, even a doctor could be one secretly.

• Camera is the keyword

Porn stars always work in front of camera and with the movie crew. I presume the scenes/positions are decided beforehand and in most cases are not natural. Porn stars I believe also have much greater degree of freedom with their partner as compared to prostitutes. It is much easier for a porn star to say NO as compared to a prostitute. These two factors are very important and is what separates the two.

• A technical facade that protects all of us.

At the heart of this debate is a technical distinction. It's a fine one, but an important one, as it is a branch that grows from the same tree as the one that allows us to hold an open discussion in a forum such as this.

Fundamentally, we are allowed pure freedom of expression. If I want to have sex with another consenting person, put it on film and then sell it, that is my right. You don't need to buy it, watch it, or come into contact at all with it - and if you do, you have a right to be offended. However, you do not have a right to stop me, unless you can find solid legal foundation for doing so.

Now, this technicality. The point is that porn stars are NOT paid to have sex - not officially, anyway. They are paid to appear on camera, as characters in a film. The sex is incidental to the operation - that is simply an element of the film that the actors need to perform. Now, the whole world knows that the actors are just there to have sex for the entertainment for others, but you cannot PROVE that. The actors could argue that they wanted to have sex and would have been having sex even if they weren't getting paid.

The other protection for porn stars from this accusation is the distinction of "sex". In mainstream films, many actors participate in "scenes of a sexual nature" which are used to arouse the audience. Rarely do these involve penetrative acts (although there are some exceptions), however, is simulating sex for money grossly different from actually engaging in it?

• Two different Jobs

No, it’s like saying “Is a bank manager a bank director?” because you’re comparing two different jobs in the same field that in many aspects have the same results: Running a bank or getting people off, to take two examples. It’s two different ways of doing it, not the same job.

• Pornography is not Prostitution

Is pornography considered prostitution? There are many arguments that do indeed offer this suggestion. However, there are in many ways, clear distinctions between prostitution and pornography. The most evident distinction is “Porn stars are paid to act (really); prostitutes are paid for sex” (Tsai 1). These distinctions will support the argument that pornography is not prostitution. The following three areas presented below provide factual and suggestive detail that pornography is not prostitution. The basis for this position discusses the legal, artistic and constitutional reasons that support this argument. Have a look individually at each of these areas.
    Prostitution is illegal in most of the United States. In the states that it is illegal, prostitution is punishable by imprisonment and fines. “People who wish to engage in active prostitution, complain that is shouldn’t be a crime, because it’s victimless” (Rauch 1). Victimless in which both parties consent and no one gets hurt. Statistics prove that is far from the truth. Prostitutes are often victims of violent physical abuse and are murdered in their line of work.
    Pornography does not violate any law as long as the individuals being filmed are of legal adult age. The actors in pornographic films are having sex for the sole purpose of being filmed. Unlike prostitutes, these people are acting and do not fall under the law of prostitution. Take for example an actor on television or in the movies whom is portraying a role as a drug dealer. This actor is dealing drugs for the camera and not actually doing this in real life; otherwise, if caught they would be prosecuted for drug dealing. Therefore, from a legal perspective, why should a porn star that is making a film be prosecuted for prostitution? In fact, no porn actor has been arrested for ‘doing their job’.

The Constitution’s First Amendment protects the filming and distribution of pornography. The process of filming and distributing pornography is considered protected speech that cannot be prosecuted under law. On the other hand, the Constitution does not protect in any way prostitution. Sherry Colb states in her article published in CNN, “the sex act is a legally significant event” (2). For example, you can get prosecuted for rape if sex occurs without consent or commit adultery if a married person has sex with someone other than your spouse. However, the First Amendment backups pornography, so how could pornography be considered criminal? It is not considered criminal because it is protected by the First Amendment.

• No, it's a legal talent, however immoral.

I couldn't ever do it but some people are good at sex and enjoy it, and decide to make an art form out of it to show the public what they do on camera. It is not prostitution because it is relatively cleaner and significantly safer. The presence of camera or crew is not what makes it legal it has much more to do with all the mandatory consent forms and regularly getting tested that's required. Lol prostitution is not only dirty as far STDs, violent in a non role play sense but it's also dangerous because often times the people receiving money become property. Porn stars are paid by the studios that hired both them and other actors don't recieve payment from the person they are having sex with directly. Not to mention it's planned and coordinated and not randomly done on the streets with Pervy strangers. Sex on camera for money may have started out in a illegal way or as unconcentual human trafficking but there's no way production companies who risk their butts by not adhering to all the regulations in place now. Lastly as far the morality of practicing such illicit acts today well... You don't have to watch it. Protest it yourself but don't go all feminist or Catholic priest on everyone because of your stand alone. Some married couples enjoy porngraphy to experiment and get things flirty while others see it as a way of abstaining from hooking or Whoring themselves out to every attractive person for free. I for one don't judge slutty people because it's a form of confidence and entertainment but also if not deterred by safe, legal, and concentual sex the risk runs high of it becoming a disease, birth rate, abortion, or bullying epidemic. I just refuse to do it myself but mad respect to porn stars for not caring about all the weird people watching them although they may never find work else where at least they are happy with their current job. Oh and trust me for some performers don't do it for the money lol.

• Legally, no, in which case a moral judgment is irrelevant.

According to Black's Law Dictionary:
    "the act or practice of a woman who permits any man who will pay her price to have sexual intercourse with her"
    The porn actor does neither permit "any" man, nor does she receive payment from the man, with whom she is having sexual intercourse. So, it is not even a close call.

Skikx says2013-11-10T18:29:49.027
While one can debate, whether porn stars get paid for having sex or for putting on a show, I'd like to add, that "prostitute" can also be defined in a different way. Namely, "a person who offers his talent or work for unworthy purposes". So depending on what one finds worthy, almost everybody can be considered being a prostitute.