• First time in history.

2016 was the year of, "1st team in history."

3-1 Cavs Comeback
    3-1 Cubs Comeback (10 innings game 7)
    25 point Patriot SB Comeback.

3 US major sports teams complete epic history making comebacks in succession.

If I wrote a movie script detailing the events of 2016 championship games, it would get laughed at due to being excessively unrealistic.

• In some leagues, yes. The incentives exist. There are at least attempts made to rig the games.

While it is very difficult to rig entire seasons on a large scale, it can be done in select games (mostly championships) if kept within a small circle (the head of the officiating crew). 5 sports leagues in the world are worth over $3 Billion (NFL, MLB, Premier League, NBA, and NHL). Certain teams and players are more marketable than others. Storylines help sell air time and merchandise, so this incentivizes the leagues to influence the outcome of games. The NBA and NHL have constant action within their gameplay. They also have 82-game regular seasons and multi-game playoff series, so they would be harder to rig given the larger statistical sample sizes. They also rotate officials in the championship series, so it would be more difficult to restrict any conspiracy to a small circle. An MLB game has on average 18 minutes of action, but the 162 regular season games with playoff series make the statistical sample size large. While still difficult, it would be easier to rig a World Series than an NBA finals or Stanley Cup Finals. Soccer has plenty of action, but the low scores create more room for error. The NFL would probably be the easiest to rig since there is only 11 minutes of action per game, it is play-by-play, the seasons are short, and the Super Bowl is a single game with one officiating crew. In the NFL, the referees have more control of the games, so a penalty or two can easily change a game. Given the high occurrence of hollywood endings to Super Bowls in the 21st century (Jerome Bettis, Michael Strahan, Peyton Manning, and recently, Tom Brady), there is reason to believe that the league wants to influence the outcome of games. The rampant corruption and favoritism (Roger Goodell is good friends with the Krafts and Maras) create the conditions necessary for games to be rigged.

• The Cubs Road to the World Series

Nobody, all season or playoffs exploited John Lester's inability to field a bunt. The Cubs batted only .190 against breaking balls and change ups. The Giants, best fielding percentage in MLB commit 6 errors in 5 game series, all crucial. 4 replay challenges, very clear against Cubs, yet NYC held in favor of the Cubs, many of these were critical moments. Kershaw, threw all pitches same speed, 94-96 MPH, through 3 innings, threw only 8 breaking balls, not one for a strike. All of this after Rich Hill showed how the Cubs were unable to hit anything but fastballs. The time was right to rig the Cubs into the W.S., Theo Epstein into the HoF, and Joe Maddon to finally win a W.S. There is so much more, as I watched all season, and continually pointed out how the games were fixed. Maddon managed the team, at times, like a Tee Ball coach, yet nobody pulled shenanigans to beat them. It is ignorant, silly and irreprehensible, and if they win this thing, I will never watch another MLB game. It is all about ratings, money and finally giving one of the worst organizations in all of sports a championship they do not deserve.

• Lebron James and Tom Brady

I watch sports but the NBA is clearly rigged ever since I can remember. I'm not picking on Lebron here but he is the current superstar the league is trying to push. The man is great but he gets away with pushing, grabbing, traveling, and he can yell at the refs without getting T'd up or even being put in foul trouble.

I'm also not picking on Tom Brady but his first 3 Super Bowls were won due to the coach stealing playbooks and taping sideline signals. The NFL was made aware and had evidence but then just destroyed everything to sweep it under the rug.

• U guys are funny

I'll just keep feeding my family on sports betting and you guys can continue to clueless fans thanks Cleveland, for showing me aliens do exist, Bigfoot is alive and the locness monster is just a ride at a theme park. Laughing all the way to the bank can't wait till football season

• It's business. Not love, not fidelity, not "passion", but business.

Brian Tuohy rhetorically asks: "Would you leave a multi-billion dollar business to chance?" The sports leagues are BUSINESSES. They exist to make money. If there were no audiences, no fans, no merchandise sales, the leagues WOULD NOT EXIST. The hardcore evidence is there; the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming. Of course they are rigged - rigged TO TAKE YOUR MONEY.

• Why Not? $$$

It's all about money. Proof:
    Basketball: Lakers-Kings 2002, Mavericks-Heat 2006, Kobe's last game scoring 60, Warriors illegal screens, Spurs-Suns 2007, Thunder-Clippers 2014, Jordan push-off vs Jazz in 1998, MVPs and all stars based on media/fan voting (popularity), etc...
    Football: 49ers-Ravens 2013, Seahawks-49ers 2014, Deflategate, Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning farewells, Russel Wilson interception, etc...
    Soccer: Chelsea-Barcelona 2009, 2011-12 EPL season, Maradona in 1986, England-Germany 2010, Popularity awards (Golden Ball, Ballon d'or), etc..
    Several more examples in other sports.

• Yes, sports are rigged. And no, not everyones in on it.. And NO ONES ever going to admit it...

These leagues are businesses. So it all starts at the top and works its way down. If the NBA has a huge market with a guy named MICHAEL JORDAN, why wouldnt they have him win multiple championships and be the face of the nba for years? Its all marketing and scheming to maximize profits, viewers and ratings. They set up storylines that will attract us viewers.. BUT to actually physically RIG or ALTER the games seems difficult. Not when you look at it this way: Players play the game, Coaches coach the game and Referees.... Ref the game? What does that even mean? They CONTROL the game? They MANIPULATE the game. Referees jobs are to make calls (HOW THEY SEE FIT) to "regulate" the game. I CANT IMAGINE ANY PLAYER OF ANY SPORT THAT WOULD WANT TO THROW A GAME. But its simple if you have a handful of referees who are infact EMPLOYED BY THE LEAGUES, AND PAYED BY THE LEAGUES. You ever see referees touching other players or coaches or laughing with them like theyre BUDDIES? THEYRE REFEREES, MEDIATORS OF THE GAME, not your friend... This adds another element to the games, these referees could be bias towards one team, or a player and sway the games in A HUGE WAY. And if tons of people want a particular matchup for a certain game, and its lucrative enough for the companies (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, and ANY other league) they will probably give it to you. Tim Donaghy admitted he was involved with altering games during his career as an NBA referee. Its crazy tothink about, but its true. Ive been a sports fan since a small child and its TOUGH to handle this truth but in the end this world is run on money. ALSO did you know that 8 times the amount of money is made gambling on sports than ALL of the revenue leagues make? Think about it

• Yes! Yes! Yes!

Look at the evidence, professional sports in the end are indeed a business right? If a business fails people lose jobs, and a lot of financial gain especially in sports. Many people within the organizations rig games to bet, get better draft picks and overall make the business more money .

• Yes! Yes! Yes!

• Where's Your Proof?

No, I think it is highly unlikely that professional team sports are rigged (the WWE being an individual sport which is obviously an admitted exception). Some teams certainly get an unfair advantage if they come from bigger cities with larger fan bases, because they have more money to pay players and elite staff (coaches, general managers, etc), but that's hardly the same as pre-determining or cajoling the outcome of a game. The logistics of doing such a thing are unfathomable.

In any instance, the onus is on the people saying that it is rigged to prove it. Do you have documents from league officials, sponsors, or players? Can you prove a motive? Oddly, when you inquire about this kind of information, the people start to get a lot less confident in their claims. Most of the people come up with circumstantial evidence or their gut feelings. They work like any conspiracy theorist.

• No, they are not

Anyone who thinks anything like this isn't considering just how difficult it would be arrange such a thing with team sports. Too many people would have to be in on the conspiracy for it to possibly be kept secret. As in anything, there are some unlikely outcomes, but the games are hardly rigged.

• They Aren't Rigged

Professional sports are not rigged. I refuse to believe they are. There is so much money thrown into professional sports and it would be stupid to fix the, Also, the consequences of people finding out that a sport is rigged is brutal. Fans might walk away from the sport all together.

• No

Professional sports are not rigged because if the outcome was already decided before the game was played, what would be the point of even watching or debating about sports? All of these sports shows would cease to exist and there would be so much money lost by sports teams that sports wouldnt be profitable.

• Too hard to do, but rig may not be the correct term (perhaps favor?)

It's happened a few times, yet let's just consider how difficult it would be to rig a sports game (especially in the NBA). So many points are played out in the NBA and so many downs are played in the NFL. To rig a game would be INCREDIBLY difficult, not to mention that players would have to act the part too. If player's purposely let somebody score, it wouldn't be too hard to tell. Let's also consider the fact that there are THOUSANDS of professional athletes, somebody has to be the whistleblower. Some players would definitely become upset that they aren't getting their share of money while other players are becoming multi millionaires from an act. Now the counter to that would be the NFL is a billion dollar industry, they can easily dish out money to different athletes. Well, it's not that simple. Teams are already maxing out their salary caps, and then some players get endorsement deals which are worth tens of millions of dollars. Also if professional sports really are rigged, why haven't players like Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin won championships yet? Occasionally you'll have the underdog story come true, but it doesn't happen very often. During "Tebow mania" Remember, there was a time where TIM TEBOW had the top selling jersey in the NFL. If the NFL really is rigged, why didn't we get to see him for another week? This all being said, there is no way I can say that professional sports leagues are not rigged at all. Obviously, commissioners can make a push for refs to favor a team during a game, or not make certain calls. But like I said before, consider just the amount of people involved in these leagues.

• What about wrestling

Wrestling is a profesional sport and I garuntee yoiu the put in a lot more effort and dont fake same with basket ball why would they have a basket ball olympic team and are you really going to say football does it because they are real too freaking jesus christ

• I don't think so.

Some people are making the point that the NFL is a business. That's actually not true. The league is a non-profit organization that can only spend money within the league. Each team is a business with their own interests. That's an important point because an owner of a consistently-losing team would have an incentive to speak out against a corrupt league.
    If your point is that biased refs are the problem, you didn't watch the super bowl. There were a few iffy calls, but they didn't shape the ending of that game. Refs are highly scrutinized, I know that because my uncle is an NFL ref – and he loves football. Doesn't take his eyes off the screen when there's a game on.
    If your point is that the players and coaches are intentionally choking, I do agree completely with the point that there would be a whistle-blower. If there were that many people involved it would be the sloppiest conspiracy ever. Someone would say, “I'm not getting paid enough to give up my life long dream of reaching the pros, and playing the game.”
    If your point is that the mafia and gamblers are changing the outcome to make money, why would they put there money on the Patriots. They were the favored team. Wouldn't it make more sense to bet on Atlanta and change the outcome for them to win, and make more money?
    Anyway, I'm sure people come to sites like this to reaffirm their own opinions so I probably won't convince anyone, but I see that high percentage of people saying 'yes,' and I think to myself, that's an emotional decision, not a logical decision. I'm not trying to seem smart, I'm just thinking it all through, and I haven't heard a single compelling argument on the yes side that I didn't address here. If you have better arguments, I want to hear them. I'm not right all the time, and would love to be proved wrong so I can stop being a passionate fan of a team in a totally corrupt league, and I can awake from the matrix and realize that I can't escape from reality anymore by watching sports. Otherwise, I'm going to keep loving them, and keep escaping! Peace and love.

• Nah null nope

No oooo oooo no no . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• No way in hell

Champions rise to fame, gain endorsements, make more money the lists continues. But if you think the losers will stay quiet about being forced to lose your insane. These athletes didn't create a livelihood since they were children to end up giving it up. These are the most competitive people on the planet, they have the utmost pride, and no way in the world will they give that up. That's not to mention the complete control that's needed. Just one player has to blow the whistle just one. But that hasn't happened. If you think a J.R Smith or a Dez Bryant will shut up about losing. Your simply an idiot