• Schools have moved beyond controlling education: they now seek to control as much of student's lives as possible.

Instead of confining themselves to giving students a quality education, schools now feel that it's their duty to monitor student's lives constantly. Mainly, I think that their downfall is that they assume that no one can get along without them. As a homeschooler (since the age of four, and I'm eighteen in a couple of months- yay!) I can, do, and prefer to get along without a public school. Despite the fact that my family and I fill out all the forms and comply with all of the laws, I get hassled and pressured to join all manner of clubs, programs, and other school-run wastes of time. I am looked at as being a sort of at-risk kid, because schools feel that they have to monitor my health (physical and mental) and behavior, not just my education. (They know that my education is going well, because I've taken a standardized test every year.) On top of it all, I am routinely told that, now that I am applying to colleges, no college will accept me because I'm homeschooled. Guess what?

I've already been accepted.

I don't need government minders poking about in my life or telling me how to live.

• Yes. Believe it!

I went to first a public school, then got moved to a private school and now I'm homeschooled. My public school was extremely invasive. I have theory that they may have been a bit less so if my family had been a bit more "normal". My family isn't bad. They just don't fit into the categories that society likes. My mother is Bisexual and at the time was married to a transgendered woman. There are many of other factors that made us not fit in to society's idea of normal. We were constantly bugged about are personal life. My first grade teacher questioned me everyday about my mother's marriage. I was pulled out of public school for a number of reasons but how invasive they were was a key factor. The only good thing that came out of me going to public school was the good friend I made there.

• They care too much about the students personal business.

There are many instances in my own town and many others as well of the public schools going through the students social media profiles as some of the youtube videos they upload and get them in trouble for it. This is ridiculous they have no right to do such things its none of their business im a firm believer in off school grounds off school rules the job of the teachers and administrators is to teach things like math, science, reading, writing etc not to tell them what to say and do off school grounds.

• Data Collection Overreach

The schools are collecting over 400 data points of information on our children and families. It is not their business to weigh & measure children, I don't care if they say it's to help fight obesity, it's not their place. Children should not be tested over & over & then put on a 'career' track when they are in 3rd grade. This issue is just now making it into the public sphere but it's been going on way too long already. It's not why I started homeschooling but it is the main reason why I will keep homeschooling.

• Of course they are, I cant wait to home school my kids!

Teachers are always prodding into parts of the child's life that doesn't concern them. Ive seen parents billed because they didnt pack all 5 of the food groups for one lunch. Really? You want to tell me how to feed my kids? No. They eat the amount suitable for them, and one pack of dunkaroos in their lunch will not hurt them. I like my kids climbing trees and not receiving constant attention and help because it helps them learn. And when someone is bullying them they need to know that telling a teacher is not the best option and that they should simply get out of the situation.

• They aren't the only ones.

Private schools are way into their student's lives also. I've grown up going to private school (still in one) and it has not been a good experience, not just for me, but for every other student. Teenagers get into arguments with their friends. The teachers feel they must resolve, so they get into your business. I pay you to educate me, not control my life! Private schools are nasty to other private schools, and many of the parents shunned my family for sending my little sister to a different school. All the teachers attempted to follow me on my Instagram and I declined. The next day, I was called into the principal's office because not letting them follow me was "extreme disrespect." What I do outside of school is my business, not theirs. They can control me on school grounds but not at home! I know, I probably sound like an annoying, rebellious typical teenager, but you guys, just hear me out. School is for education, period.

• I suppose they could be? Or not.

I am not sure I understand the context. But if its in terms of monitoring the traffic on the internet for example they are fully entitled as its an education environment and not personal computers to surf porn or the /b/ thread. If they are hacking your home PC that's a different case all together. Depends really in what context you are talking about.

• No they're not too invasive.

This is the age of technology and everyone has to adapt to it. People can whine about public schools all they like. Public schools have to cater to a wider amount of people than private schools and homeschools. While some students may be preoccupied with studying and bettering themselves, other students may be conspiring to commit crimes. Several planned crimes at schools have even been prevented, due to the watchful eyes of schools. In an age where your online profile is you, schools have to keep track of it. Not for your safety but for the safety of other students. This is coming from a current 10th grader in a public school (Major offer to go to Ohio State received in 9th grade).

• Depends on what you're talking about ...

Too invasive? I believe schools have become less invasive over the last century. And that's good, I don't want schools making me pray or participate in religion classes, etc. But I do think schools are the only official check on kids' well-being. They might see if a child is abused or neglected. If they consider it "not their business", mistreated children might never get help. Friends and relatives are more likely to play along or refuse to see it. A neutral observer is sometimes necessary.

I do think that going through social media is not appropriate. There are some areas where schools don't do enough and some where they go too far. But generally I don't think they should stick to just teaching and ignore the child's well-being. I think teaching about a digital footprint is good - telling children how to create their own online presence in a positive way. Actually going in and looking at it? No.

• Y'all have extreme cases

I feel like a majority of the yeses have heard of or were a part of extreme cases. Personally never had any problems with my school with it over extending the boundaries I thought it should have. My issue was often my parents talking to my counselor or teacher when I didn't want them to....

• No, you're there for education, you don't have true rights until 18

Children do not have the same rights and freedoms as adults. This is a simple fact which most teens rage against, but it is not only needed, but logical.

When a child enters a school, the school assumes guardianship of that child until the day is done, and for the remainder of their time at the school.

If other students are cyber bullying a student on facebook, I would be pleased, as a parent, if the administration took notice and brought it to my attention.

In addition, if students were engaging in raucous drinking parties, and they post photos on facebook, the administration is completely within their rights to punish those students for breaking the code of conduct.

This is how the ADULT WORLD WORKS. If you don't like it, you're going to be useless in the workforce.

Go out and take photos of your drinking binge, post them all over facebook and see if your boss doesn't chastise you.

Get arrested for fighting on the weekend and see how quickly you get fired from your job.

This isn't about schools being invasive, this is about people wanting less scrutiny so they can be less responsible.

• It's the students.

In my day, they rarely searched anything a student had. In fact, I don't remember a single time when a students locker was even searched. The closest thing to it was when we did locker clean-outs at the end of every semester. While we cleaned out our lockers, they walked past. According to them it was for overdue library books that tended to be forgotten in the bottom of lockers.
    Since those days, kids have gone further and further over the line as what is acceptable to have. This has resulted in schools having to be more strict, and cautious. You want to blame someone, blame your fellow students or yourself if you have been caught. You want to stop such searches, start by giving them nothing to search or search for. Leave you cell phones and personal media devices at home, and don't bring anything that is not allowed to school. Encourage other students to do the same. If they don't find anything for long enough, they will stop or at least search less.

Vere_Mendacium says2014-07-29T23:17:16.943
Apparently not too* invasive.