Are racism, prejudice, and intolerance linked to stupidity?

• Not based upon logical intellectual thought

To dislike someone on the basis of race is not rational or based upon intelligent thought. So yes they are stupid.

Some one who is racist has made a decision to narrow their world view. If you close your mind and believe you know everything then you are not learning or thinking logically.

• Yes - although it is not really stupidity but ignorance

The definition of stupidity is a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience. Ignorance is lacking in knowledge or information. If an individual has an inability to understand or profit from information that is different from what they believe to be true and as a result are racist, prejudice and /or intolerant then such beliefs are based on stupidity. Now, fortunately (and in another way unfortunately) the majority of racism and intolerance is based on ignorance. It's not that people are generally stupid (as that means there's an inability to understand) regarding racism but it's that they are ignorant ( capable of understanding information, but choose not to or simply refuse to locate it). There is a big difference between the two.

• I don't believe that all racism, prejudice, and intolerance is linked to stupidity.

I wish we could blame racism, prejudice, and intolerance on stupidity but you can't. There are some very intelligent people out there that are racist. In my opinion, racism is a largely learned behavior. In my experience most people who are racist learned it from their parents. Some have become this way due to some unknown slight they feel. It's not just "stupid" people that are racist.

• Racism, Prejudice, and Intolerance are Related to of Education

Can stupid people be racist, prejudiced, or intolerant? Certainly. But, it is not their stupidity that makes them that way. Many intelligent people have these traits as well. A more likely cause for such behaviors is a lack of education, notably a science one since many of bigots try to refer to inferiority of their objects of hate, or having been educated to hate people.

• Racism and Intolerance are but not Prejudice.

Racism and Intolerance go hand in hand with one another almost synonymously and I would say yes they are both stupid, however, prejudice is quite different. Everyone, whether your black, white, Asian, and etc. is to some degree prejudice but does that mean were all stupid? Not necessarily, I think prejudice has more to with our survival instincts and a natural inquisitiveness in understanding the world around us than blind stupidity. Prejudging things or situations helps us determine whether or not we're in any real danger or if there is nothing to fear. It's kind of like a filtering process that happens in our heads instantaneously the moment we come into contact with something. There's a reason for the phrase "first impression" because when your meeting a stranger for the first time, you don't know that individual well enough to make an accurate assessment about him or her to know if they are trustworthy, dangerous, or a good person. So, based upon the limited information like how there dressed, their mannerisms, background, or skin color in your mind you develop a "first impression" about them and categorize them to certain stereotypes or types of people you've met before that they closely resemble to. It is our own natural inclination of wanting to understand the world around us, to stay safe, and have predictable outcomes that eliminate uncertainty and the unknown.

• Not at all.

Tell that to most of the Japanese people, and Adolph Hitler whom had a great intellect (even though it was a little warped). If you ask me, more research needs to be done in this study, with actual valid scientists mind you. Although if you ask me, racism is a bit of a stupid concept in and of itself.

• I believe that,

Racism is link to pride. When an individual lacks the ability to show any kind self worth, I feel this person may seek out their self worth through means of self physical strengths. On the other hand, their are individuals, who true believe their superior then another race, I blame this on the theory of evolution.

Bullish says2013-05-09T21:48:14.127
Linked, yes. But not directly.