• Ignorance is a very vague term to put on a person/group.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, we all have it, some more than others. I think what needs to be asked is, will they consider learning the evolutionary side? Because in my experience, A lot, if not most will not even give it a try, which to me is being a bigot. Now that changes the question into a little more personal, are religious people bigots? Again it is something that we shouldn't all tie into one basket, because there are religious people who are unaware that there are such views as not believing in god, does that make them a bigot or ignorance just depending on where their education has been?
    What I seem to find is that atheist's are not set out to do anything but seek truth to the universe around us, now isn't that a similar view to religion? Other than them stating that they do know the answers but somehow don't show them, because that is arrogance.
    It would be nice to work together to seek out our existence even if we try from two completely different views.
    We (Atheists) even allow ourselves to be known as Agnostic because we don't want to be deemed as cruel or arrogant, but you couldn't get me one religious person to say that they are religious, but likes to have some agnostic views because again nothing can be proven as of yet.

There is so much more i'd like to say and if you read it all please comment because I would like to congratulate you :)

• On average, yes.

Not all religious people are ignorant, but the reality is that when you create a belief system to explain the unexplainable, and then stick by it after real hard evidence disproves your explanation... That's ignorant. If you don't stick by it, then you're not doing all that well at your religion, in some people's eyes.

• In a way

I think that the problem with religion is that the beliefs of the religious people change too much.

Here's an example to show you what I mean:
    When I was a little kid, I believed in Santa Claus like most other kids. One Christmas night, I went downstairs at 4 in the morning and found no presents there. I started crying and went to my parents room, and they said that sometimes Santa comes later, and I bought it despite the fact that I knew that he should have come earlier. A few years later, I was in a similar situation where I went downstairs, but this time only half the presents were there. This time my parents said that Santa must have left and will come back later, and I bought it once again despite the fact that I, once again, knew that that shouldn't be the case. That Christmas day, I noticed that the cookies and milk we had left out were not eaten and when I asked my parents again, they said that Santa must have been full. Another thing I noticed was that some of the tags on the presents that said "to: blah blah blah, from: Santa, were in different handwriting than others. My mom said that an elf must have helped him out which I once again bought. Eventually I had a completely different story of Santa than the original one that I knew from all of the mistakes my parents had made.

What does this have to do with religion?

There are too many examples of things that are in the bible that either nobody follows or simply make no sense. For example, most religious people have accepted that evolution is in fact true and creationism is false (except those who simply cannot screw their head on right) which goes against the bible. Another example, religious people accepting gay people even though it goes against the bible. Third example, people have pretty much agreed that the Earth was not made in 7 days right? Well, once again that means that either the people are false or the religion is false. Modern technology has transformed what in the bible is thought of to be true.

How does this make religious people ignorant?

Religious people cannot accept the fact that we simply know better than the bible. We know these things are false and there can only be one truth, so what will it be? We already know the bible is not completely true and you can't be halfway in between like I described earlier. Non-religious is the only thing that makes sense.

• Of course, millions of starving kids, hundreds of worthless gods, who have not solved one problem!

With millions of starving kids, Hundreds of gods, have not solved one problem. While the lock-step atitutude about all topics in science are treated as the plague. The pety issues they focus on have nothing to do with goverment and these folks are using my secular democracy to prosoltiz one of many cults and want it stopped. All that is requires for religions for a tax exemption is to stay out of govermental operations, or pay corporate taxes! Maybe religions could be convinced to monitor all corporations for tax evasion, treason, as in selling technology to unfriendly countries! While being ready for investigations of those responsible for their operations, when things starting looking like help will be needed.

• Religion is faith pursuing privilege

...Privileged history, privileged morality, privileged knowledge, privileged happiness, privileged meaning and fulfillment, privileged social worth, privileged teaching and evangelism, privileged metaphysical status, privileged tax status.

The rampant pursuit of all that privilege requires willful ignorance of the corruption of the pursuit itself, not to mention routinely dismissing evidence of bias, of contradiction and factual errors in dogma, of disagreeable truths, and the dignity and worth of alternative beliefs.

Empirical knowledge routinely overturns religious dogma, and undermines the very foundations of religion's claim to privilege. No ancient faith, for example, was able to produce a coherent germ theory of disease, and antibiotics work equally well on people of every faith. So how can any faith claim privilege, when the reality itself doesn't honour the privileges claimed?

That is why we often find: the more zealous in faith, the more ignorant of truth.

• Religion doesnt give you the answers.

It just keeps you from asking the questions. There are thousands of religions where only one can be true so more than 99.9 percent of people are wrong about their religious views. Religious people dont know that people dont know right from wrong which is a fact. They think everything happens for a reason and dont know that there is random chance that brings about our circumstances. They dont know many things because they havent asked these questions sense they were children and as children they blindy accepted their religion like they did santa clause and peter cotton tail.

• They are dumb

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . . . . . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . .. . . They are dumb

• Religions past and present legislation to eliminate athiests

Monotheist religions hate being challenged. Present and past legislation against athiests shows this hostility, and not wanting to consider alternative ideas or even let them exist. Specifically regarding intellectual consideration of religious matters there are quotes like Martin Luther's “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” Which reveal the discomfort that religion has with addressing conflicting intellectual or scientific ideas. The attacks against evolution, and radiometric dating in the US are another example. That religious people accept the flimsy, and preposterous arguments against evolution and radiometric dating illustrate how wilfully ignorant religious people can be, preferring to grasp at very weak arguments that permit them to retain, unchallenged their faith, rather than exercise some critical thought, and actually see how weak the religious position is. But when if all else fails, you can fall back to a position like - God put fossils in the rocks to test our faith, how can you expect religion to not make people unnecessarily ignorant.

• Religious people are ignorant but certainly not stupid

We tend to associate the word ignorance with stupidity. They are mutually exclusive. Ignorant: "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular". People believe in gods and demons because they are ignorant on various contrarian areas of study, including:

History. Religions are evil and have driven more torture and murder than any other single element in human history.

Physics and Science. While various organizations try to blur the lines between science and religion this is just a farce and attempt so squeeze a few more decades of life out of religion until the world completely walks away from them. Science and religion are incompatible.

Religion itself. The easiest way to convert a Christian to an Atheist is to force them to actually read the bible and try to understand their religion. This is true of all religions based on "magic". I went to Sunday school and a kid and ate of every word of BS they fed us because it was being presented as truth from an authority figure. But then when I was 18 I read the entire bible cover to cover. Any rational human being who does this can only conclude that this is a book of nonsense written by primitive men for various political purposes.

• Atheists can be ignorant.

Atheists think they're so smart and know more about religion than any other person. They think they can tell religious people what they believe. That is ignorance to the core. Some atheists have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of a religion and STILL think they can tell the religious person what they believe. Religious people can be ignorant but so can atheists. Don't you atheists come on here acting like you're perfect and ignorance free. You're not. We're ALL ignorant of something. No one is perfect!!!

• It has been proven

Over and over again that only the religious are ignorant and those who adhere believe science to provide all answers are wise. What further proof do scientists need to give you on this claim. Richard Dawkins has said it, Sam Harris has said it, Lawrence Krauss has said it too and they"re all scientists. It's as if God himself said it, well if he were real.

• No, humans are

What do you mean, by questioning if religious people are ignorant?
    I correctly support what MitchV defined as ignorant, but we can not apply it only for religious people if so, I will say yes, as well as scientist are, politicians are, entertainers are, every single person in this world it is, why?

Can you explain me why are you here? No. That is why we have this different views because we are all ignorants.

I would like to meet an omniscient person. If there is, please explain me how the world works and why we are here because I am ignorant.

• Broad Brush Ignorance

"Ignorant" is a term that is without meaning when divorced from the type of wisdom that is being discussed. Consequently, there are many types of ignorance on many different subjects.

"Religious People" refers to the roughly 5.6 billion individuals on the planet who practice some form of religion. These range from the religious liberals that can only be distinguished from non-believers by the finest forensic examination to the utterly devout and across a variety of other social spectra.

Any attempt to tar such a diverse group with such a poorly defined broad brush reveals itself as the very ignorance that it decries.

• That is a vast overgeneralization

There have been thousands of religions in human history and countless people following them, many of these religions have unknown theologies ( for example the belief system of the ancient Indus Valley). So it is an over-generalization to claim that all people religious people (i.E the vast majority of the human population) to be ignorant as most scientists and inventors in the past 1000 years were religious in some way (for example: Newton, Al-Khwarizmi and Da vinci)

• Well, not necessarily.

A lot of them are, but this doesn't discredit any kind of Creationism in the slightest, it only shows that many religious people don't inform themselves on these subjects, meaning they are not able to defend their position if the time arises.

So, Yes and No, I would say. (

• Not by definition.

Ignorant:
    1. Lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned.
    2. Lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact.
    3. Uninformed; unaware.
    4. Due to or showing lack of knowledge or training.

Technically, most know, or know of the same theories that non-religious people do so by definition, they are not ignorant. They just refuse to accept any that show that their god may not exist. The problem is, what they claim to KNOW is actually a myth with no evidence to being true. Because the KNOW god is real, to them it is a solid fact as if it HAS been proven beyond a doubt. What happens is this so called fact creates a logical paradox. Because, to them, it is known as fact, anything that says it is not must not be true no matter how much proof is shown. To prove this, all you have to do is look at the theory of a heliocentric solar system. Even though the theory had been around since before the first century, and had evidence, it was denied as fact for hundreds of years. Long after it was finally accepted as fact for most of the world, some theist scholars still denied it to be true.
    Http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/File:Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.Jpg

• Again? Ugh whhy

This is stereotyping and bigotry. Both religious and non religious people are caoable of being equally ignorant or not ignorant. I know religious people who are aspiring scientists as well as non religious. I know people on both sides also who are ignorant and believe everything they here so long as it sides with their point of view.
    I also hate how peopl assume all relious peopke must exactly follow doctrine ir they dont "really believe it." Did you know the Catholic Church doesnt even see the Bible as infalliable? And your going to assume that and then imply every religious person is an ignorant, blindly-follow-anyone creationist? Really?
    And did you know you obviously non-ignorant person that your defintion of truth is only three hundred years old? The people writing down the Bible didnt think that stories like Adam and Eve were factual. They believed in God, but the stories, when they said truth, truth was described as more of a universily felt feeling on a spiritual feeling. It was an exploration of something that makes us human or who we are. Sort if like how youd think of a metaphor or a moral but more deeply and spiritually felt and difficult to explain, which us why the stories were used to try to do that.