Are Ringling Bros. elephants abused regularly?

Asked by: bzjeung
  • All Circus Animals Abused at Some Point

Unless a wild animal isn't in the wild, it's being abused on some level. Animals living in captivity aren't happy unless is a domestic dog or cat. Lions, tigers, elephants, etc. should live in their natural habitats. Yes, animals live longer in captivity. But what kind of life is that?

• Circuses abuse Elephants.

I can't speak to every circus that has ever existed but I do believe that the very nature of the circus means that the elephants are being abused. They only exist to work and have none of the feeling of their natural home around them, it feels like torture to me.

• No they are not.

The Ringling Bros. elephants are not abused regularly. You do realize that their skin is really thick right. You could hit them with a whip and it would be the same as a human getting flicked by a finger. They are a lot tougher then people give them credit for.

• Yes they are.

There is a lot of footage of the elephants being abused and whipped violently by trainers for not responding exactly as the trainer wanted them to, or as quickly as they wanted them to. Even the act of forcing such an intelligent animal into captivity and performing mundane tricks for our entertainment is sad and abusive.

• Ringling Brothers Kill

Ringling Brothers Circus is extremely cruel. They not only exploit animals for money, but the ways that they train the animals to perform is the problem. They beat animals, especially elephants with bull hooks, jabbing them into their sensitive skin. Animals are transported through horrible conditions, many dying from heat stroke. PETA has even released several undercover videos proving the cruelty that Ringling Bros. Employees and trainers inflict on their elephants.

• No, that's ridiculous.

Ringling Bros. May have abused their elephants in the past, but with the media spotlight on them and their clear message that they do not abuse their elephants, it would be impossible for Ringling Bros. To pull the wool over the eyes of the USDA. Ringling loves and cares for their elephants and have spent millions of dollars for their conservation and research.

• I agree with InfamousAim!

I may not agree with using animals in circus-type performances, the Ringling Bros. Certainly do not regularly abuse their animals. I feel that this is another case where PETA has overblown a situation where animals were in a once-abusive environment, turned for the better. From what I have heard and read, Ringling animals are given plenty of care and are up to the standards, if not better than a zoo or shelter. By law, anyone handling animals for the circus has to complete special animal-care-based training within 30 days of hire. There is also a full-time staff member whose job is to ensure that the animals' conditions are in compliance of the law and regulations surrounding animal care.

• Ringling Bros. elephants are not abused.

Circus elephants are treated well and they are not abused. There are government inspectors who make sure that the elephants and all the animals used in the circus are treated humanely. In fact, circus animals receive high quality food and health care, and they have a better life than they would have in the wild.

• They are professionals

The Ringling Brothers have a long history in circuses and their circus is amongst the best known and appreciated in the world. The circus industry in the US has much oversight, due to years of abuse, and circuses have a special interest in keeping their moneymakers in good condition and health.

• I may not agree with using animals in circus-type performances, the Ringling Bros. Certainly do not regularly abuse their animals.

I feel that this is another case where PETA has overblown a situation where animals were in a once-abusive environment, turned for the better. From what I have heard and read, Ringling animals are given plenty of care and are up to the standards, if not better than a zoo or shelter. By law, anyone handling animals for the circus has to complete special animal-care-based training within 30 days of hire. There is also a full-time staff member whose job is to ensure that the animals' conditions are in compliance of the law and regulations surrounding animal care.