• Yes ! !

When your in gym girls cant be comfortable in their own way, they can wear tank tops because of their boobs, they cant wear shorts because of their butt, and your clothes have to be almost baggy so they can not see their natural shape. When you look at the guys though, you see them sometimes walking around with no shirt... Why cant guys have to cover up?

• It's about teaching respect

Yes, characteristically dress codes are bias against girls. The aim is not to have too much of a girl’s skin or shape exposed. The assumption is she would be a distraction to boys or too sexualized. The problem with this; it places a girl in the position of a temptress, nor does it place any responsibility on the boys. It’s wrong thinking. Boys need to be taught respect towards girls no matter what they are wearing and to look upon them as another person not as an object of desire or distraction.

• It is insane!

OMG! You know that school's don't try to be sexist, but they can't help them self's! Girls are judged on what they wear! If a girl wears a tank top she is asked to change, but for boys it's, "That's a cool shirt!" If it is a really hot day, then a girl should be allowed to wear whatever she wants!

• Dress code is focused on female features and clothing.

Shorts,spandex,crop tops,tank tops,v necks and more are restricted and these are all female clothing. When females are forced to change they are told they could "distract' males. As if its the females fault that then male wouldn't pay attention. Female students should not be held responsible for what distracts males.

• Hands past your shorts? To way!

Some girls have very long arm's and no girl in the right mind would wear shorts down to her knee's! The whole "Oh sweetie, those short's are a little past your fingertips" is a whole bunch of baloney! The same goes for skirts. It is fine if a dress is short but if it is short's it is a whole new ball game? WHAT?

• They Are Sexist

Absolutely! Its such a shame that today a womens clothing is more important than her own education. When I see girls being SENT HOME just because their shorts were 1/4 cm length too short makes me sick. WE shouldn't have to create a 'distraction-free' environment' for men, that is NOT our job. We should be taught to respect everyone and their own choices.

• Listen to me!!

https://soundcloud.com/tiffani-mascaro/dress-code I vote yes, school dress codes are sexist. Listen to this soundcloud project I did for my college composition class. This argues that high school dress codes are indeed sexist towards female students. It highlights reasons why the dress codes are sexist, one main reason being that girls bodies are too distracting to boys.

• Yes but not in the way that this picture demonstrates.

If you are a boy, trying wearing one of the cheerleader's uniforms to school and make it through the day without getting dress coded. Or see if you can wear volleyball shorts as short as the girls do without criticism. Girls, however, can wear anything that a boy can wear without discrimination whatsoever. So it is sexist against men. Absolutely.

• Hands past your shorts? To way!

• It is insane!

• No, the codes typically apply to both genders

As a boy, I have no personal issue with dress codes, although I can see why schools do. Girls claim that dress codes are sexist, and they should be able to wear what they want without being objectified. The problem with the "sexist" argument is that it applies to both sexes, girls just tend to break it more. Boys at my school aren't allowed to where shorts without sleeves as our biceps may be too distracting, but girls can wear sleeveless tops as long as the straps are thick enough. I wouldn't call this sexist; boys and girls simply have different anatomies and different preferences about the others anatomy. For example, guys like boobs, girls like biceps, so typically there are rules in place so to not distract the opposite gender. For as much as we try (and this is true to both men and women) sexuality is hardwired into us. It's an instinctive response, and try as we may, it can be hard to fight for both men and women, so why not do away with the problem all together? Most of the stories that come up regarding dress codes are about girls, but from my experience in highschool, I can testify that girls complain more often about the issue and attempt to defy it. Guys simply don't wear short shorts or shirts that expose their stomaches, and if they did, they would be dress coded as well. Also, the argument "it's hot out" is just really not valid. I wear knee shorts and a t-shirt everyday in the summer, and I've never died of heat stroke. As for objectification of women, it's obviously a problem, but so is objectification of men. Sexuality is present in both men and women, and as a man I can certainly say that some girls just want me for sex. I don't think lust is an issue, so long as you keep your thoughts to yourself and never act on them without consent. The dress code simply aims to make schoolplaces a proffesional environment free from distraction, and if you think being able to wear your booty shorts or muscle shirt is more important than the education of those around you, you have a serious issue.

• No it really isn't if both sexes are involved in getting dress coded.

Yes girls are typically the ones to get dress coded but it's only because you can't follow the rules. So if your shorts are to short and your ass is hanging out it might be distracting to others trying to learn. Or if your boobs are showing it's even harder.

• It's not sexist if it applies to both sexes

School dress codes apply to everybody, not just women. In a guy's outfit, how often do you see indecency? Not often, men don't show off their body, but women do. If a guy wore a spaghetti strap tank top, he'd be violating dress code too. I've actually seen a guy being dress coded for wearing really short shorts, so women, stop acting like they are targeting you and understand that female clothes is sluttier than mens

• Same rules for everyone

The same rules apply to everyone. Nothing sexist about it. If someone breaks the rules they need to be disciplined, I've seen both genders get coded before. The rules are pretty easy to understand there are no excuses. I've been coded before and it's not the end of the world, I knew I was breaking the rules and covered up.

• Well, not inherently. But they sure as hell can be.

When school dress codes are about student safety and being able to participate in class, that's fine. For example, you need to tie your hair back when you're in the lab because your hair could catch on fire and you could get hurt.
    Not being allowed to wear things that have racist/sexist slurs on them or graphic imagery is also fine - basic respect, people. And no, showing any part of your crotch area isn't ok, either. No one wants to see that.

But when girls are being kicked out of class because their collarbones are showing, or being told that they can't wear makeup because it will "distract the boys", we have a problem. Sexualizing the shoulders and legs of teen and preteen girls is downright creepy, and the message that this ultimately sends to girls is:
    "If boys stare at you, it is your fault and you should feel ashamed for it. Also, it is your responsibility that the boys are not distracted - it's not like boys can control themselves or anything. Your body is inherently sexual. And we don't care if YOUR learning is disrupted. It's the BOYS' learning that matters".

• Just because women violate code more often doesn't make it sexist

In most dress codes i have seen (including the one at my high school) the codes were identical for both male and female students, and thus the codes themselves are not sexist. E.g. Shorts below the finger tips, no belly buttons, nothing sleeveless, no offensive content, and no showing underwear/bra. This code seems perfectly reasonable to me. Some claim that girls are more actively persecuted, but I think it's just that the supply of female clothing is such that they end up violating code more often. There aren't many clothes sold for men that would violate those conditions whereas for women, there are many. In my school years I also so plenty male students get told off for showing their underwear or not wearing a belt. School is supposed to prepare you for real life. There aren't many workplaces where you can where tube tops, short shots, yoga pants, or muscle tees.

lovells_hoe says2018-02-03T16:28:48.470
It’s only human nature to be attracted to the female body, especially in adolescence