Are school-imposed hierarchies (such as the prefect system) good for students?

• No they're not

I was not chosen to be prefect because I was apparently 'Not what they were looking for' also the teacher who advised me to run for prefect turned me down and tried to make me feel better by putting me on a waitlist which was absolutely rubbish. I was mad for weeks especially since they were congratulating prefects and lecturing non-prefects about the joys of being one when they didn't even have the brains to think about how it would affect the people who got rejected and this is bad since it makes others feel inferior and upset about all the stuff they missed out on when they really wanted to help out and it's a big confidence blow since for me this was something I went out of my way to do since I'm usually shy about things like this and being rejected just made feel like I wasn't good enough and to be honest just thinking about it makes me so mad at the school so my answer is no

• Hierarchies Guide Students

For the most part, I believe that school-imposed hierarchies are good for students. If there was no established sense of a power structure or hierarchy, students could just do whatever they wanted, learn essentially nothing, and not be held accountable for their actions. I do believe that less hierarchical structures can be effective, but they take a lot of work.

• Kids need structure

Student governments themselves are largely shams, and students (especially at a young age) would probably not benefit from any sort of peer election, but some sort of hierarchy based on merit and faculty suggestion could definitely be of use to kids. Kids need structure; even if they're free to learn and be creative on their own, they need to do so in a framework, and having peers advising and patrolling them could be more constructive than an adult authority.

• Yes I think so

I think that school hierarchies in schools are pretty much good for the students. There are some downfalls, of course, but overall I think it is a good system. School hierarchies allow kids to be competitive and it also allows for some kids to get recognition where it is needed.

• No they're not

• No they're not

• Manipulation without the knowledge to so is often ill fallen.

Some say that children and the youth the unwashed they need to be guided.
    They could learn skills from it.
    They get to boost there confidence (or is it pride).
    Skills for what pandering to a top down hierarchial system which robs them of both their independence and the opportunity to think critically of the system they find themselves in to then improve it.
    To reinforce a thing too often found in modern education this force fed parroting do what say and not what do attitude.

• Emotional Hardship in School

It was an absolutely devastating experience not hearing my name get called out for prefect. Being publicly branded as lesser than your peers should never exist in an educational institution. These people who then receive prefect then believe that they have some kind of power over you because they were selected by a system that was so clearly rigged to pick predominantly sporting icons or people who donate to the school.

• I was not selected to be a 'house sixth".

I was not called up to be a "house sixth" (prefect at a British public school and appealed to the headmaster who kindly made me one. My housemaster took revenge on both me and the headmaster; He was a malicious and vindictive man who (I later learnt) took money from wealthier parents to make their sons prefects. I am glad he is dead.

• Mmm j j

No oo o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

• Mmm j j

• Not being a prefect crushes confidence

My daughter's school today selected about 10 out of 40 children in a year to be prefects. Great for those selected (usually children already very self confident) but crushing for those not selected (many of whom are less confident). It was so distressing to witness the baffled disappointment among those not chosen. I really think a prefect system does much more harm than good, especially as the prefects serve no real purpose in the school anyway. Why set out to damage children's self confidence?

• The prefect system destroys lives

I was not chosen to be a prefect at my high school and I can only say that the psychological on me was permanently devastating.

All my life, I have never really overcome my shame in having to spend the last year of my school life being publicly branded as an inferior person - by having to wear the school's standard tie, while the prefects wore a tie that publicly marked them as the worthy and chosen ones. I and the other non-prefects had to walk around for the last year of our school lives with the public disgrace of not being worthy or good enough - of having to face our parents' disappointment, of having the lower form students feeling sorry for us and hoping that they would not suffer the same fate.

All through my life, no matter how much I told myself that not being chosen to b a prefect didn't really matter, that those who were chosen to be prefects were no intrinsically better than me, the shame of not measuring up to a standard imposed on me in my formative years, when I so wanted to be accepted as a person of worth, has affected everything I have done ever since, It's more than 40 years since I was given the word that I was not chosen to be a prefect - but the pain is still as strong now as it was on that horrible day.

Dismiss as a shallow fool if you must. But my experience is one that many thousands of young teenagers have to unnecessarily suffer - but they are probably too ashamed to admit it.

• Multiple Reasons !

A lot more stress for final year students when they're already stressed enough, and its hierarchy they think they're better than others and are they actually necessary? I doubt it, sometimes it's too big of a deal being made and it seems life dependent, in 20 and maybe even 5 years no one is going to give two shits what perfect you were,...