Are school uniforms a financial burden for poor families?

• Still buying regular clothes.

On the surface, it looks like buying uniforms might be cheaper than buying regular clothes for school (and even that depends on how picky your school is about style/brand), but you're still going to be buying regular clothes because what are your kids going to be wearing on the weekend, after-school, or school breaks? Maybe you won't need as many, but to say that the cost of the uniforms completely replaces the cost of buying regular clothes is short-sighted.

• Yes!!!! The uniforms are expensive

The cost of schools uniforms may affect the budget of certain families. Some poor families don't have enough money to buy school's dress code because it is too expensive. I'm a sixth grader and I am 11 years old. In my schools, we don't need to use uniforms we can use whatever we want!

• School Uniforms are too expensive.

Reasons: It doesn’t allow individuality. School Uniforms are expensive. Wearing School Uniform takes away freedom of expression, they do not improve attendance, fights, exam scores. Students do not like school uniform. “Americans spend around $1 billion per year on school uniforms.”
    This shows how expensive uniforms are becoming these days.

• School Uniforms Are TOO Expensive!!!!

I am 12, and I go to Clarendon Elementary in Phoenix, AZ. And the amount I grow I know I go through uniforms like crazy. I spend about $100 a month on uniforms. Since I have 5 siblings my guardian spends about $5,000 dollars a year, so I believe that students should NOT be required to wear School Uniforms.

• School Uniforms Are TOO Expensive!!!!

• School Uniforms Are TOO Expensive!!!!

• School Uniforms Are TOO Expensive!!!!

• School Uniforms Are TOO Expensive!!!!

• There Poor and need free family help in the world

The poor people of the US do not all have homes like others do and dont have food like others do so thats why we are here to help not sit all day on the phone snatching and Instagram we need to fight for are contrie jazelle Vazquez 5th grade

• No. Not at all.

School uniforms pose no financial burden to those who are financially challenged. The beauty of school uniforms lies in the support from the school that requires them. Oftentimes, the school will lend financial aid in purchasing uniforms. Finally, uniforms aren't even a problem for poor people, cuz screw poor people.

• Uniforms more expensive than normal clothes? Haha- nice try!

People are saying that school uniforms are more expensive than normal clothes. This statement is wrong. The average family spends $131 on back to school clothes for each child. This is not including clothing costs throughout the year when there are less sales. But, the average schools uniform costs $100-$150. I bet you're thinking, so uniforms ARE more expensive! Well, listen to this; school uniforms last you the whole year, that cost includes your summer, winter, spring, and fall uniform costs! With your own choice of clothing though, you have to buy another $131 worth of clothes for the winter season! Not to mention the other seasons. At school, there is also always the conversation about "whose clothes are cooler" Kids think that the more expensive the cooler their clothes are. This is what a conversation is like, "Ummm........ You could really do better with that shirt, maybe give it to a rat for christmas, but even then the rat would hate it!!!!, See my clothes are form abercrombie, this shirt was $30! I bet that was 5. Am I right girls!!! *giggles*" Then the person would complain to their parents about their clothes, forcing them to let them go to the "cool" stores. Isn't that what you would do?

• School Uniforms are Almost a Necessity

In these times where there are children killing themselves because of bullying, children having babies as young as fourteen and parents who are unable to be home to monitor what's going on because they have to work, uniforms are somewhat of a godsend. Young girls attend school in clothing that is often too tight, too short and too revealing. Young boys are coming to school with pants where the waists are almost to their knees often paired with t-shirts with offensive or suggestive messaging on them. A lot of boys cut out the sleeves of the t-shirts exposing their chests. The line between decency and indecency has become extremely blurred. When the child enters the classroom with outrageous or provocative clothing it is distracting for the students. When the teacher has to take away from instructional time to address the dress code violation then all the kids suffer. As for cost. I don't know how it could cost that much more for your child to have a uniform. If you have multiple children, the clothes can be passed down or shared and of course uniform exchanges once a year are a fantastic way to save money. It makes getting ready in the morning that much more of a breeze, too. There are also ways if a family is in dire straits that the school can also help out financially.

• Poor families need to save up to get where they need!!

I think it is a financial burden for poor families because as everyone knows that poor families would want to rank up from being poor to middle class or to being rich. I think that poor families should save any money they can get so they can be provided a very decent ranking in life and be able to provide the right care for their families.

• They are a burden to the less fortunate families

The coat of uniforms is really expensive. Personal experience has made me realize that because when I was in school I had to wear a Polo everyday they are extremely expensive and they are hard to find cheap. Parents want their kids to have durable clothes but buying Polo's are expensive so personal get rid of uniforms.

• Uniforms are a financial burden to poor families.

Uniforms are a financial burden to poor families, but there are many solutions. The PTA or the school can pay for them or do fundraisers and give clothes to those who get reduced or free lunches. Students can wear plain t shirts of the school colors with khaki, navy blue or black pants/ skirts( which are 2 inches above knee or lower).

• I'm 16 I know!

I am a teenager in a public high school I have to continually buy new clothes to protect my neck from wardrobe bullies. When I looked at the difference in price for what I'm paying now in comparison to the yearly cost to wear a uniform, the uniform comes out plenty cheaper (almost $300 cheaper). Sadly since I'm so far into high school I would be deeply inconveniencing my parents and counselor by transferring to a uniform school in the middle of the year.

• Not a big expense!

School uniforms are not a big cost or a bank breaker. In fact they can be cheaper. Furthermore, they cut down on violence and discipline. I think as a parent that school uniforms are cheaper and are more professional to the school and as a community. I think that they are better!!!!

• Coming from a poor home.

You cant really agree or disagree until you went to school in this century. I just recently graduated from high school two years and the amount of bullying that goes on over the clothes your children wear is ridiculous. I would rather spend a little bit of money on my child a school uniform than walk in and find out mu child committed suicide because he got bullied on the clothes he wore the day before. I also know that you can find uniforms for pretty cheap. You can spend a 150$ on a weeks worth of clothing and wash them every sunday and you wouldn't have to spend money buying everyday of the month a new uniform. People that are against it aren't looking at the positive. Or at the simplest things they could do to make it work.

• Really Easy :D

Instead of having to wear t-shirts from walmart and having to look like you can't afford anything, the uniforms make it were people can't judge you initially on how much you own or how much your clothes cost. Instead, they have to see what kind of a person you are.

RinnKimmichi says2016-04-29T18:26:55.190
My check is only $400 dollars, and my bills are more than I can handle already, if I already have appropriate clothing, what's the problem with wearing that instead of having to spend money that I DON'T HAVE on something that I sure as hell DON'T FUCKING WANT.