• Filters are necessary, but school ones are way too strict.

My school blocks so much useful stuff, but fails at blocking the stuff they are trying to. They try to block many YouTube videos, but there are so many sites that are basically a youtube proxy that aren't blocked. Same for games. Many useful sites are blocked because they are "prohibited Blogs and Forums content". I've had to get around the blocking just to do my school work. Filters are definitely necessary, but commonly used ones are way too strict.

• Yes, way too strict

Schools need web filters to some extent, but they go over board! I understand that schools need web filters to keep kids from getting on inappropriate stuff. But kids need to do research on school projects and cannot do that because the web filter prohibits them from doing that. When kids are aloud to have free time, they cannot play many games because the web filter wont allow it. Some games aren't acceptable but at least actually go on websites, before you try to block them.

• They are way too strict!!!!

I cant even do research i need because half the websites are blocked. I have to change my topic because i do not have enough information i need because the websites are banned.I had to switch to a topic that was boring and i did not want to learn more of!! :(

• Come on people!!!

I am a student but that dose NOT cloud my judgement. I constantly am blocked from sites because they are categorized as "games" or "audio and video". I think schools are being overprotective,no not overprotective, ridiculous. My school also won't think about a school hour block. What they do instead is block any site they think won't be useful and block everything.

• Some are, but some are not.

Obviously schools need to block sites that are not okay to go on. But some sites that are needed for research and also sites that aren't harmful aren't needed to be blocked. Some may argue that if the school blocks it it's fine because it might encourage access to sites that have no harm would be accessible during teaching hours. What if they blocked sites that were needed for educational purposes. Like Nazis maybe (like another person stated). Some school web filters are too strict, but some aren't and are pretty fair.

• Too much is blocked.

I know that in my school district, basically everyone is blocked except sites that are 'approved'. The system is far to strict and a lot of time I can't get to sites that I would use for research or other school-related ting. Also, kids should be allowed SOME freedom to play some non-violent games or social media.

• Of course yes!

My entire argument should be simple enough. If you look at this and say that's not to much then nothing I can say will. One of the reasons given for websites being blocked on my school computer is "this website contains to much friendship content". If friendship content condones a website being blocked, then everything does.

• My school blocks a lot of LGBTQ and feminist websites.

It labels them as 'Alternative Lifestyles'. I agree with blocking porn sites and things like that, but not things that are not harmful or offensive. It makes it hard to search and appreciate several opinions on topics rather than only having access to a Catholic perspective, and I think that this is counter productive.

• Yes, some are

Clearly some sort of web filter is needed, but sometimes they can block sites that would actually be very useful in a lesson - for example, the Wikipedia articles on Fascism, Nazis, and Communism were blocked at my intermediate, making it rather difficult to write anything about the Second World War.

Posted by: CCE
  • They keep kids safe

If you dont have web filters you kids looking up all kinds of images. You need them because if there aint a teacher in there you would kids doing all kinds inappropriate things with the internet. It is also the law that you have to have a internet filter in schools.

• They should have web filters

Students might use it when they are not even 18 or older. See some of this web sites are bad. That why we need web filters. Kids are think they are smart but they are really not. They know what they are doing and they are getting on very bad sites like sexual material.

• It's for a reason.

No, school web filters are not too strict. I feel that this is for personal gain. Entertainment should not be imperative in a learning environment. Get your own electronics. The filter blocks out vulgar websites as well. Students should not have the freedom to indulge in adult-oriented websites. The computers belong to the school, and they should be used the right way.

• Entertainment Websites Not Necessary

In many public schools, there are several websites blocked. Some are for obvious reasons, such as pornography sites, but I assume you're referring to the unexplained sites that would cause no harm. However, school is a place for learning. If the teacher means to allow a website, they can allow it. If they don't, students should be focusing on their work and not going on sites that have any reason, no matter how small, to be blocked. Allowing websites not related to the lesson is unnecessary and encourages surfing the web in class.

MechVarg says2015-05-01T05:09:38.490
My school's is.
Diqiucun_Cunmin says2015-05-01T09:08:14.543
Usually, I think they're not too strict, but too inaccurate. Pornography is blocked, which is good, but at the same time, teachers can't get sex ed materials from the Internet.
MarsUltor says2015-05-06T20:03:25.490
My school's is retarded I was searching up Atheist and Religious sites and it would randomly say you can go to that Christian site but not that one, you can go to that Atheist site but not that one. What was stupider was it was banning them for "alternative Beliefs".