Are schools in the US putting to big of an emphasis on black history?

Asked by: Bruinshockeyfan
  • I would say so..

I'm all for teaching history, but I strongly object setting aside an entire month for a particular history of one racial group. I'd agree with Morgan Freeman that "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history." Also objectionable is this need to boost self-esteem by exaggerating the degree and proportion of historical figures and events.

• Irish, Italians, Germans, English, Spanish, Hispanics, Native Americans all suffered too

We are all Americans. I think, no offense, a lot of black folks whine too much about the past. Italians, Spaniards, Germans, Arabs, Hispanics, Chinese, Japanese all went through similar struggles as well. When many of them entered San Franscisco or New York harbor they were spit on, persecuted and hated.

To say only blacks suffered racism and persecution is a fallacy.

• Yeah, other groups went through struggles too

I think schools here do. I understand its important but there are other things to get to. Also, african americans weren't the only ones that suffered discrimination. Take for example the Irish, Chinese, and Native Americans. All of them suffered the same and similar types of prejudiced as blacks did in this country and they aren't given as much attention. I know African Americans were inslaved and all but Native Americans were as well along with sent off their land and killed in mass numbers.

• Most definitely not.

As a student I can confidently say that most of all history classes focus primarily on Europe, and tend to rush or entirely skip anything related to Africa or African heritage.

I think that it's important to remember the persecution of those with African lineage so that it does not continue to happen, and so that it will stop. Sorry to burst your bubble, but racism against blacks in America is not over. In fact, it's far from over.

I think that the "Not ONLY blacks faced persecution" argument is completely irrelevant. The subject is about African heritage, not any other. I do believe that we should study all cultures and give them equal respect and attention, so as to learn appropriately. To do otherwise is harmful and manipulative. However, the subject we are debating is not about other cultures and whether or not they receive enough attention; it is about if African culture is receiving enough attention, and the matter of the fact is that it's not.

Again, this is not to say that ANY other cultures should take the place of willful ignorance that the US Educations system is taking against African culture.

• No. Absolutely not

Not only is most of the history about white people that we learn on school, but nothing at all is taught about black history until the time period where their history intertwines with white history. On top of that, nothing is taught about other races. How about the fact that no major religion has ever been founded by a white person? How about the extremely vital contributions to mathmatics and science by non-white peoples? These things are very important to learn about and if white people only learn their own history they become ignorant abour the rest of the world.

kbub says2014-11-03T05:55:07.053
Feelin' the hate.