Are some adults prejudicial towards teenagers because of the stereotype that they're mindless troublemakers (yes) or because they feel like they are superior to them(no)?

Asked by: EspenEther
  • Many adults feel that teenagers as a whole are troublemakers. Even if they are teens it doesn't mean they want to cause trouble.

Adults typically stereotype teens as, "trouble bound to happen," which in most cases, is not true.
    For example, I was looking around in a perfume store, and an employee comes up to me and says, "Where's your mommy, little girl? I don't think you shouldn't be here alone.", and then proceeds to walk off after I ignore her. Now, I wouldn't have thought much of this- but this has happened several other times and at multiple stores. Workers have tended to stand near by me or watch me when shopping, making their lack of trust obvious.
    Adults make assumptions that any teen is up to some sort of trouble. They know they are just immature young minds with brains that aren't fully developed yet, but forget that they are still civil beings. From personal experience, I've noticed adults tend to question teens more than any other age group what their intentions or plans are, along with a smug tone in their voice, as if what they presumed was correct. Most of us do not want/wish to cause any trouble, and just want to go about with our lives without the hassle.

• I know it

I think that the person who wrote this is right. Adults dont think that teenagers can be good human beings, just because of our age. They want us to act like adult, but at the same time thet treat us like little kids, and that is not fair to us.

• Ytrdsdfghjkl gyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Ygtf bbbbbbbbbb gjhj ilhlu iuh iliu i kgkhh h h b hj h hj hj jh h h hh h h h h h h hh h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h bh h n hh h h h

• Yes, but some adults should be nicer to the teenage who are nice to them.

For example: a lot of nice teenagers will ask adults for help and the teacher/adult would be rude because we are teenagers. Obviously alot of teenagers are troublemakers, smoke, and do drugs. However, if you have a teen thats being nice to you dont be a jerk cuz u'll make them not like you and want to be rude to adults. So if they treat you with respect then treat them with the same respect back.

• Despite the fact that most adults know that not all teenagers cause trouble, adults still feel like they need to be in control...

...Even if it means resorting to the classic stereotype that all teenagers are in the wrong. It's part of human nature. As a personal example, a few of my friends and I ( all well above sixteen years of age) were walking around the observatory to look at the full moon. It was probably 9:30 at night, dark enough to get good pictures of the moon. The curfew in our state for us to be inside was midnight. The area around the observatory is public property. We were in the midst of talking when a car drove up to us full speed, flashed his lights on us, and followed us. A man kept on shouting, "Go home or we'll call your parents!"
    I told him we were taking pictures, and he threatened to call the police.
    It's become very clear to me that either teenagers 1) threaten adults (because obviously four teenagers out at night means we're probably sacrificing virgins) , 2) make adults feel inferior (because if we're out that late at night, then we're getting too "out of hand", or 3) cannot be in the right because they are still younger than adults (and what do we know anyway, right?).