Are some people really victims of sexual assault or did there actions lead to consequences?

Asked by: CueQuianna
  • Two separate issues

Moral dimension aside, it is obvious that, acting promiscuously leads to unwanted attention.
    However, making this point in response to a sexual assault is to deny/ignore the gravity of the rapist's action and their responsibility for the action.
    The rapist, like the promiscuous person, has the choice to act in the way they do.

Could the rape have been avoided if the woman hadn't behaved as she did? Maybe.
    But this is a separate issue entirely to whether the rapist is at fault for choosing to rape the woman. Obviously they are at fault, and gravely so.

• Two separate issues

• Some people are victims and some people are not.

Victims of "legitimate rape" are truly victims. They were forced and had no real choice. However if a girl decides to have sex with someone and gives consent then she has no right to yell rape when she feels guilty the next day. If you wear reveling clothing flash someone or get naked nobody should touch you but people looking at you and making sexual comments is the consequence of your actions. I agree that we should teach people not to rape but I think we should also teach people how to not get raped. There are real victims but the morning after victims are not real victims they are just people who got mad because they slept around and so they want to blame someone for it. Anyway keep the thread going since its an interesting topic that I don't see discussed alot.

• Actions lead to consequences

If you are an abusive relationship and you choose to stay, then your action lead to your consequence.
    If you are at a party and drinking heavily without asking anyone to watch over you, then you action lead to your consequence.
    If you are an adult capable of UNDERSTANDING that some actions lead to consequences, then you are mature person. There is a word that comes to mind called RESPONSIBILITY and Common Sense.
    There will always be barbaric disgusting individuals in our society and no matter how hard we try to eradicate them, there will be many on our streets to be cautious of your actions and exercise responsibility/common sense.

• Certain Actions Have Consequences

Maybe some of you can help me out. I feel like certain women in society don't understand that actions can have certain consequences. I understand that some people say well you should be able to dress the way you want and act the way you want and nothing should happen...... In a perfect world and honey this isn't a perfect world.

To many people feed into a girls head that she can do whatever she wants and noting will come of it *IE*

*The always Drunk girl at the party
    *The one that flashes and gets naked
    *The one who sleeps with multiple guys and regrets it in the morning

you know what I'm talking about. Now I'm not saying it was right to happen to them but ask yourself what did they think would happen and why put yourself in the situation? To me its like a child and a hot oven. You can tell them even show them scars or other people that have touched it and say the same thing. "its hot don't touch. You will be burned." some kids listen and obey and not touch but you always have the ones that push off the warning and touch it and what happens .... *sizzle* you get burned and than they realize that the stove is hot and not to touch. I want your opinion maybe you can change my mind.

• They are victims.

While it is true that actions have consequences, this is not the whole story. A victim is someone that gets something done to them they don't want.

For example if 2 girls are wearing burqas one will get raped by a rapist. On the other hand if 1 is wearing a burqa and one a bikini, the rapist will probably rape the girl in the bikini. This does not mean the person is not a victim, its just that the transgressor has more idea.

In both these cases the person is a victim. They are not to blame. However, if you are smart you don't put yourself in a situation where you can get into trouble.

• Men have control over their actions

No matter what the women wore, or what the relationship with the rapist was, the fact is that the rapist was the one who did the deed, not the victim.
    It does not matter what the victim did to lead up to the sexual assault, they did not ask for it.
    Don't teach women how to avoid rape, teach men not to rape. That's all there is to it.