• Of course they are.

Sports stars and professional athletes have a small value to society. Their purpose is purely entertainment. They gain too much money for playing a game. The money they get is more than what the president is paid! All of that money could go to things that need it far more than greedy sports stars.

• Sports players paid too much

Some sports get paid more than others and it isn't fair to other players or the sport itself. It seems like some sports players that get a higher contract are only in it for the big bucks and not because they love the sport. NHL players get paid about 7 million a year and Tiger Woods gets over 40 million.

• Only entertainment nothing else.

They are working in normal or short periods of time pr day, and get alot more in salary without being a productive part of society, their only real function is entertainment. Which i do think can be nice, but i dont belive they should get any more than a medium/high salary, instead of a unrealistic salary, as i do understand they are the top of their sport.

• Unfortunately, they are.

Unfortunately, I do think sport stars a paid a bit too much. Especially NFL football stars. I think some times the big pay may actually get to their head, and they find themselves being more concerned about playing only for their big pay checks, as opposed to playing for the love of the game.

• Yes paid too much

Sports stars are paid way too much today. They do have a right to be paid well as they are a large entertainment attraction. However what happens is their contracts keep getting larger and larger and the price of tickets keep going up as a result. Hundreds of millions of dollars is just too much to be paid for what they do.

• Yes, they make too much.

Sports stars make too much money and so the seats for games are excessive and unaffordable for many. But they are not the only ones; we are in a culture of celebrity and all celebrities feel that they can charge whatever the market will bear once they create a niche for themselves.

• Yes they are.

Sport stars are paid way too much. There is no reason they should be getting paid that well yet we have people on the street. With their salary they could afford to take a good portion of those people off the street and into a good home where they belong.

• Sports Stars are Paid Too Much

Yes, I believe that many professional sports stars are paid too much. The fact that some sports players get paid more than the President of the United States of America is a bit preposterous. I understand that athletes work extremely hard, and often their careers can be short due to injury, but I still don't feel that warrants sports stars to get paid as much as they do or make more than the President.

• It is true, but they are not at fault....

Tillman turned down a three-year, $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to enlist in the Army. As an E4 in 2004, prior to death, he was making roughly $20,000 a year. Think about that, what athlete since then has done so. Walk away from 1.2 million. That's not a lot in today's sports, but to also risk your life. Pat Tillman wasn't really known prior to his enlistment and more known after his death. He was not the face of the franchise. David Boston in 2001 was the best player on the team. Know Jeremy Staat, Alejandro Villanueva, or Daniel Rodriguez. I didn't till I saw this question and researched. Point is, ownership looks for ways to sell their team. A Watt, Rodgers, James, or Kershaw kind of player. Its an investment. We, the fans, control the rates. It is us who fluctuates the stocks on players. Yes they make to much, but as long as we buy into them they will pay them.

• They Get Paid Way Too Much!!!

I'm currently doing a debate on this topic and i have found out some ridiculous stuff about sports stars such as a portion of our taxes go into their wage and that sports stars can get paid more than 76 million dollars a year. Now 76 million dollars, what could we do with that other than give it to a bunch of people who kick, throw, hit or chase a ball, well heres 1 thing WE COULD STOP HUNGER POVERTY AND MANY OTHER WORLD PROBLEMS. Everyone is always so upset when other people don't do much to stop the worlds problems but when sports stars are asked they get al greedy and scared that their gonna loose more thanks 1,000 dollars, WELL YOU'VE GOT A LOT TO SPARE HAVENT YOU!!1!. I Hope this rant helped anyone in the future, peoples give it a like if it did. Thank You

• No, they are not paid too much.

People pay to see these people, they are talented and display a talent which can't be seen in 99.9999% of the world population. It's obvious that the more talent you have, the more you are paid (who would you pay more, the manager or the factory worker?).
    They are paid so much because people look to them for entertainment after a long week of work.
    Besides, they still do pay for taxes so I don't see why they are such a big problem. They still do pay big money to the government, thus contributing to society.
    Plus, I think that the people who put in doubt their wages are sort of envious of their salary... Who would say no to €8 million per year?

• Not at all.

Consider, first, the fact that their careers are only about ten years long. The average person can work for fifty years or more. On that principle, they should be paid 5x more per year than anyone else.

Furthermore, the average male tennis player makes LESS than $300,000/yr. That is not a lot to live a luxurious life on after the age of 30.

Of course, they are also massive money generators. People pay a lot of money to see these guys--they are the ones bringing in the money. Without the athletes, there is no game.

Moreover, the ones that do get paid seemingly obscene amounts are extremely talented. Only a couple hundred people in a country or in the whole world can make a ton of money from a single sport. Most people are mediocre. The ones that make a lot are the ones that prevailed and have shown that they are worthy of a lot of money because they are better at their job than 99.999999% of their country. Does that not count for something?

• They are not

Some hits in the NFL are as bad as a car wreck and they are taking a beating. I don't know about you but that would hurt. Also we pay watch them and we want to watch them the reason a teacher doesn't get paid as much because no one is paying to watch them

• Sport stars are not paid too much.

Sport stars are not paid too much. We should support our athletes and one way of doing that is to pay them the salary that they are getting. They put their lives in the public eye just like television stars do and they get paid for what they do. I think they are not paid too much.

• I don’t think that sports stars are being paid too much.

I don’t think that sports stars are being paid too
    much. I think that they are not paid
    nearly enough. Sports bring in Billions
    of dollars of revenue. Americans lead
    busy lives. Everyone is looking for ways
    to unwind and relax after a busy workweek.
    This is what makes sports stars so valuable.

• Why is this a question?

The reason a sports star makes more than a teacher is the same reason a teacher makes more than a McDonalds employee; their craft takes more skill and they garner more revenue for the people who pay them. Sports teams make cities massive profits and the owners massive profits. Why should 400 NBA players only make 50k a year while they're making someone else billions?

• Sport Stars deserve what they are paid.

How many of you out there have as much talent as these Sport Super stars? Not many. They work hard for their money, and they should earn their keep. We pay to watch them, so why shouldn't they get that money that THEY earned? They are just normal people with extraordinary talent, and they are merely being rewarded for their talent, training and hard work. In addition, think about all of the injuries. It has been proved that for every 10 000 normal workers out there, Sport stars gain over 2000 injuries. They also have to pay for these injuries. They have families to support as well, so why shouldn't they be paid what they get?

• Nothing to say but what the others say

I DON"T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY HERE YALL!!!!! PEOPLE ARE PAID THE RIGHT AMOUNT!!! ANYTHING ELSE? JUST REPLY TOO ME. I REALLY DON'T CARE, but Wouldn't it be great to make nearly $111 million a year simply to play a game? Tiger Woods, along with many other professional athletes, certainly think so. But do these athletes really deserve all that money?

In my mind, absolutely not. Professional athletes are making too much money in a society where salaries and wages are traditionally based on the value of one's work. In today's society, one should be paid according to the job’s economic importance and their value to society.

• I do not think superstars are paid too much money

Superstars are not paid too much money because the need to practice and they can get hurt or injured a lot. That is why I think superstars are not paid too much money. If you agree with me like, if not just do not like, I will not care anyways.

• They don't get paid to much

They don't get paid too much because they inspire kids and encourage kids to follow there dreams what I don't have any more tow rite tats all I needed to say please help me I in school I like basket ball and baseball because I do so deal with it