• Sports are much much more important

Sports are more important because you need to keep the body fit. Sure, music builds character too, but sports are needed. Sports do tell a story. They give people things to do, they make people stronger. They make the Olympics and give determination and courage. Children need sports. They help them grow and be healthy. Sorry, but I disagree entirely with arts being better.

• Brain Injury VS. Brain Growth

As a band teacher, I see this regularly. And it needs to stop. We are educators, here to feed and grow the mind. Not bash it into pudding. At our small school of about 250 High School kids, we have
    over 15 different sports and 1 period to fit in the band, choir and theater class. The 5 seniors that are in my band class and on the varsity sports have the highest gpa in their class. However, I noticed drastic changes for the worse in attention and attitude only after our school started a football team.

Https://concussion.Weillcornell.Org/about-concussions/long-term-effects-brain-injuries
    VS.
    Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=R0JKCYZ8hng

Which would you wnt for your childs education?

Posted by: db2k
  • No Doubt Sports Are More Important

1. They can keep you fit, which arts cannot do.
    2. They provide people the opportunity to meet others and to also takein some fresh air. You don't want to be sitting all day becoming a potato while making "art"
    3. Arts are definitelly overrated and not everyone is born to be an artist.

• Health < enjoyment? Never!

I don't understant that so many people believe that Music and arts are more important. Yeah, music improves your IQ, and soods you down and sports have a chance of getting killed BUT! I think different.
    FIrstly, improving IQ can be important, but is it really worth it? A couple of higher IQ doesn't have that big impact on the brain, you know.
    Secondly, do you really believe that MUSIC is better to make a person's feellings more soohed? When I am angry, I always ride my bike and I go up and down the street, or play badminton. The word 'soothing your condition' can be different to everyone, so I expect you NOT to say somthing that can destroy other's personallity. There are more people who are like me than you think.
    Thirdly, is sports really dangerous? Sure, athlets have fallen down dead as a dorenob! But those happen rarly. As my oppinion, sports can make us more healthy. If you think of that, what can we say about people who have died while playing the tuba? It is really hard and if you blow the wrong way, you can gave problem breathing.

• It increases social skills

Sport increases social skills and will be able to make friends and your parents will be able to make other friends with your friends parents which will cause them to recommend their friends to you and you will make friends with them. I could keep going with that but sport is definitly better than music

• Sports are way more important

Simply, a trumpet can't save you from obesity. Sports not only improve weight loss but team sports provide a sense of family and support. Many people say that arts allows you to be creative but sports does too. In sports like football you have to be strategic and provide a game plan. So overall sports is better than arts, if you think about it.

• Sports are way more important

• Sports is much more important

• Sports is way more important

• Sports are way more important

• Music is universal

Music exists in so many different ways, like sport, but as a musician and a sport player, I feel that music is much better. Music is something that we can turn to 24/7 to feel happy, sad, whatever. But sport has seasons and you can only really play certain sports in certain times of the year. Music is universal and is there for us whenever we need it. Music is in our hearts.

• Music saved my life

I've done sports all throughout my life and yes it taught me teamwork dedication, and has kept me fit and I played D1 in college for my sport. Yet on the side I've played guitar and that made me more money than what sports have ever done for me. I will always have the skill of playing guitar to make me money.

• When your older, are you still make music or getting tackled in football???!?

Sports are overrated. In reality, it's just a game, like monopoly or cards. Sure, it can "keep you fit" but HELLO? WHAT IS MARCHING BAND!!!!! Sports can seriously injure you and affect your body in a negative way, but when's the last time someone got seriously harmed by playing a trumpet?? It really frustrates me how people see a game more important than a real skill, and it saddens me how many schools are cutting the arts and pulling for the athletics.

• Sports are not more important than arts.

There is a better chance to get a scholarship in the arts program, then there is in the sports program. Arts are proven to help with your mental life. It is proven true that if the arts program was indeed equaled out, then more people would join. In conclusion, sports are not more important than the arts.

• Brain Injury VS. Brain Growth

VS.

• Why give money to program that only benefits a small percentage of kids?

Too much funding and support from schools and communities to a program that will only last a child to the end of their high school career is foolish. And let's be honest. The kids that join the sports teams at school, would likely have joined a sports program outside of school. And if you say that sports are a great way for exercise, well, if you can't motivate your kid to take a walk, they're not going to join a sports team or program anyways. Whereas the arts programs, specifically music, teach creativity, and have the benefit of helping with math and science skills. There is also less restrictions on physical attributes, if you want to paint you can do that just as well if you're in a wheel chair, or standing on both legs. Sports and exercise have their place. And they are often important. But don't cut the arts budget for the sake of expanding the sports program.

• They BOTH are

Sure they're both definitely important, but different people value different things, and one thing cannot possibly be "more important than another" Some people will go to college for music, and some will go for sports. So I say no, because both should be valued equally, since different people like different things, and schools should embrace that diversity.

• Sports and arts are the same.

People argue that the sports are more important or that the arts are more important, but they are equally important! Think about it the arts are NOT just drawing or playing an instrument the definition of arts is- the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power. The various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance. But on the other hand the definition for sports is- an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    So if you compare the definitions sports and arts really are not that much more important than each other. (I could keep going but than this would never end)

• Think logically about this...

People that are arguing that sports keep you fit are forgetting the physical side of arts. The marching band, the dancing, the hard labor needed to move heavy/big props. Most assume we mean sitting there and barely blowing into a clarinet is art or drawing some lines on a piece of paper is art...Sure it is...But that isn't looking at the big picture.
    Sports are the same way. Football and water polo can both build strength but golf, not as much. Sometimes, marching bands (like the Blue coats, look it up.) are moving a lot more than golf players.
    And not to mention the mental work that happens. You have to memorize, breathe, keep in step, do every little thing the same way. It's HARD. In football, you do have to memorize plays and such but not as much as band. Football players don't have to worry about keeping in step, they don't have to worry about looking unison.
    Both of their pros and hardly any cons. It's an opinion. The point is that schools need to provide a way for kids to express themselves and for some its sports, others arts. Just because the school makes money for charging a crazy ten dollars to enter a football game doesn't mean that sports should stay.

• Sports are not more important.

Sports are more important because of physical discipline and strength? People who say this have clearly never been in a professional theatre before. The arts are not just music and band, and even if they were, you need to have massive core strength and breath control to play certain instruments. You need to have both the mentality and the strength to be in theatre. Do you know how much time we spend working out? Artist + Athlete = Actor.