• Sports are much much more important

Sports are more important because you need to keep the body fit. Sure, music builds character too, but sports are needed. Sports do tell a story. They give people things to do, they make people stronger. They make the Olympics and give determination and courage. Children need sports. They help them grow and be healthy. Sorry, but I disagree entirely with arts being better.

• Brain Injury VS. Brain Growth

As a band teacher, I see this regularly. And it needs to stop. We are educators, here to feed and grow the mind. Not bash it into pudding. At our small school of about 250 High School kids, we have
    over 15 different sports and 1 period to fit in the band, choir and theater class. The 5 seniors that are in my band class and on the varsity sports have the highest gpa in their class. However, I noticed drastic changes for the worse in attention and attitude only after our school started a football team.

Https://concussion.Weillcornell.Org/about-concussions/long-term-effects-brain-injuries
    VS.
    Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=R0JKCYZ8hng

Which would you wnt for your childs education?

Posted by: db2k
  • No Doubt Sports Are More Important

1. They can keep you fit, which arts cannot do.
    2. They provide people the opportunity to meet others and to also takein some fresh air. You don't want to be sitting all day becoming a potato while making "art"
    3. Arts are definitelly overrated and not everyone is born to be an artist.

• Health < enjoyment? Never!

I don't understant that so many people believe that Music and arts are more important. Yeah, music improves your IQ, and soods you down and sports have a chance of getting killed BUT! I think different.
    FIrstly, improving IQ can be important, but is it really worth it? A couple of higher IQ doesn't have that big impact on the brain, you know.
    Secondly, do you really believe that MUSIC is better to make a person's feellings more soohed? When I am angry, I always ride my bike and I go up and down the street, or play badminton. The word 'soothing your condition' can be different to everyone, so I expect you NOT to say somthing that can destroy other's personallity. There are more people who are like me than you think.
    Thirdly, is sports really dangerous? Sure, athlets have fallen down dead as a dorenob! But those happen rarly. As my oppinion, sports can make us more healthy. If you think of that, what can we say about people who have died while playing the tuba? It is really hard and if you blow the wrong way, you can gave problem breathing.

• It increases social skills

Sport increases social skills and will be able to make friends and your parents will be able to make other friends with your friends parents which will cause them to recommend their friends to you and you will make friends with them. I could keep going with that but sport is definitly better than music

• Sports are way more important

Simply, a trumpet can't save you from obesity. Sports not only improve weight loss but team sports provide a sense of family and support. Many people say that arts allows you to be creative but sports does too. In sports like football you have to be strategic and provide a game plan. So overall sports is better than arts, if you think about it.

• Sports are way more important

• Sports is much more important

• Sports is way more important

• Sports are way more important

• Arts give creativity!

(while this may not be as long and detailed as other opinions I just want to give a short one)According to the article 5 Great Ways Performing Arts Can Benefit Your Child, “Studies such as this report from the Arts Education Partnership suggest schoolchildren exposed to drama, music and dance are more proficient in reading, writing and math”.
    Also dance is both an art and a sport by dancing kids can stay fit and active while letting their creativity flow.

• The Arts are just as physical as sports

Okay, so I just read all the arguments for both sides of this, most of the evidence for saying yes sports are more important is just saying intelligence doesn't matter and being fit does. But what people are forgetting is that dancing, acting, marching band, and especially all the people backstage of every drama production ever moving around all the sets (the crew). Dancing is so physically challenging, you have to be immensely talented and fit, when you dance you have to not only look completely uniformed, but also be of the same physical stature. If you don't believe me, go see for yourself, go try a ballet class for your age range. People also seem to be forgetting that playing music, singing, and acting increases your grades and IQ. Both of which are very important.

• Sports can be played by idiots, Music cannot

Music/Theatre/Choir/Art/ect. All of these programs will affect your students life after high school. Chances are, after a measly four years in high school, your student wont want to/be able to continue sports. Arts? Not at all the same. Students who took part in music programs, theatre programs, and art programs all develope the same team-working abilities and social strong points that athletes do, but unlike athletes, these students have a much higher opportunity of using these skills and talents throughout life, rather than just their teen years. Arts programs also help students build skill in self expression and sharpens their academics much more effectively than sports. While many may argue that sports are more important due to physical fitness, have you ever watched a marching band? Theatre kids have to be able to dance and move poetically and according to script, and art encourages exploring the world around us. A few things sports have that the arts dont? The possibility of accidents and even death, development of poor sportsmanship, hostile and combative behavior, lack of self expression, lack of creative thinking, and only four years of use for what skill they do harness. Whats really more important?

• Music is universal

Music exists in so many different ways, like sport, but as a musician and a sport player, I feel that music is much better. Music is something that we can turn to 24/7 to feel happy, sad, whatever. But sport has seasons and you can only really play certain sports in certain times of the year. Music is universal and is there for us whenever we need it. Music is in our hearts.

• Music saved my life

I've done sports all throughout my life and yes it taught me teamwork dedication, and has kept me fit and I played D1 in college for my sport. Yet on the side I've played guitar and that made me more money than what sports have ever done for me. I will always have the skill of playing guitar to make me money.

• When your older, are you still make music or getting tackled in football???!?

Sports are overrated. In reality, it's just a game, like monopoly or cards. Sure, it can "keep you fit" but HELLO? WHAT IS MARCHING BAND!!!!! Sports can seriously injure you and affect your body in a negative way, but when's the last time someone got seriously harmed by playing a trumpet?? It really frustrates me how people see a game more important than a real skill, and it saddens me how many schools are cutting the arts and pulling for the athletics.

• Sports are not more important than arts.

There is a better chance to get a scholarship in the arts program, then there is in the sports program. Arts are proven to help with your mental life. It is proven true that if the arts program was indeed equaled out, then more people would join. In conclusion, sports are not more important than the arts.

• Brain Injury VS. Brain Growth

VS.

• Why give money to program that only benefits a small percentage of kids?

Too much funding and support from schools and communities to a program that will only last a child to the end of their high school career is foolish. And let's be honest. The kids that join the sports teams at school, would likely have joined a sports program outside of school. And if you say that sports are a great way for exercise, well, if you can't motivate your kid to take a walk, they're not going to join a sports team or program anyways. Whereas the arts programs, specifically music, teach creativity, and have the benefit of helping with math and science skills. There is also less restrictions on physical attributes, if you want to paint you can do that just as well if you're in a wheel chair, or standing on both legs. Sports and exercise have their place. And they are often important. But don't cut the arts budget for the sake of expanding the sports program.

• They BOTH are

Sure they're both definitely important, but different people value different things, and one thing cannot possibly be "more important than another" Some people will go to college for music, and some will go for sports. So I say no, because both should be valued equally, since different people like different things, and schools should embrace that diversity.