Are standardized test scores a good indication of a school's competency?

• Yes, standardized test scores are a good indication of a school's competency

Standardized test scores are a good indication of a school's competency because it evaluate how good a school does compare to other schools. Although by no means they test everything about the school, it gives people a basic idea of how the school is doing. Otherwise, it would be really difficult to assess the school.

• L l l

Was s s qn jnjngfj gkfkgjfkgj fkfffsgop kpk kdgjfgkl b j j j j j j j j jj j j j jj jj j j j jj j j j j j jj jj j j j j j j j j jj j j j j j j jj l l l l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• L l l

• As an Early College Student, I feel these standardized tests waste more time then they are worth.

I am speaking as a student, not because I don't love sitting in a quiet room for three hours filling in little bubbles, I'm speaking as a student that feels the immense pressure of these tests and cracks under it every single time. These moronic standardized tests do not allow a student to show their full potential and intellect, these tests makes students anxious and make them feel the pressure place upon their shoulders, teachers make these tests seem as though they will be the end of the world if we as students fail or do not take them. When taking these tests students are taken from their normal classes and brought into a quiet room filled with desks and made to sit in solitude for what seems like forever only to struggle with subjects the teachers did not go over and feel like they will fail. I'm only in high school, but after taking my ACT I cannot say I passed the math or science portions, juniors in my school have not taken anything but earth science, and that was freshmen year! I go to an early college high school and only have one high school class, which is English III I have two biology classes but my college professors are not going over what I need to the ACT. All throughout my school I have not been taught a single things that I can apply to the real world, like how to calculate taxes or how to fill out a job application or anything I need to know in order to function in the real world. I have only been taught about what an acute triangle is and how to find the area of it, I have only been taught what will be on the ACT or EGO (depending on what grade you are in) I haven't been taught how to apply for a college or how to rise up from the white trash I was born into. In school I have only been taught how to fill in little bubbles and how to identify a comma splice. These standardized tests are idiotic and useless. Since we have them students only know how to take a tests not how to input data into a computer or how to go out into whatever field it is they take an interest in and excel in it, we have only been taught to go to bed early, do our home work so if we fail the tests we can still have a small hope of a passing grade in the class, and how to fill in little bubbles.
    These tests are useless and they take up time we could be using to learn how to properly function in the real world to learn how to fill in a stupid bubble. As a junior in the early college high school program, I'm sick of people skidding by with these tests because filling in bubbles is all they know. =.=

• Test scores are not a good way to measure success.

Test scores only show if you memorized information. They only prove if you can remember important facts. Take a vocabulary test for an example; you only remember how to spell the word and the definition of the word and you pass. You will not remember how to use the word in its correct context later on. So with that being said, test scores do not show a school's competency.

• No, these tests don't measure how competent students are.

Standardized tests only show that students know how to memorize certain material, or have been taught the correct way to take the test. This is not an accurate measure of how well students are truly learning, and doesn't indicate that teachers are presenting the information to students in the most effective way.

• No, standardized test scores are not representative of a school's worth.

Admittedly, there has to be some way to judge the competency of a school to actually teach, but standardized test scores leave a lot to be desired. It's been shown that intelligence can be measured across many interests, and I expect that standardized tests only test for standard expectations. A school may be very effective at developing and promoting its students in more narrowly defined fields than the standard tests test for. Is it necessary for a child who is brilliant in music be able to pass a test for grammar? We should not penalize schools that are exceptional in promoting individual learning for the individual in preference of schools in which everyone moderately knows the same things.

• Standardized Tests are a band-aid to a larger problem.

While there is no specifically easy way to measure school and student competency, standardized testing in its current format doesn't adequately evaluate all the circumstances involved in a student's education. It is biased towards those with a specific skill- test taking. Many students are highly talented in work, but can't take tests. Others have major anxiety issues, or based on other situations cannot perform well in tests. An entire school career shouldn't be based on the results of a few concentrated hours of testing.

• Dfvekv3krnvnkeqrvknewrknvwe veqver puss

Jkasldfjkasdl;fasdf asdf d d d d d dd d d d d d d d d d dd d d d d dd d d d d dd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d8=D adsfdsd ff d fasd f sdf asdf snoop dogg

• I say no

I say no because it depends on the student and how well they comprehend things and weather or not they ask for help. So no test scores should not be a indication to a schools competency or how well it looks it all about the students mind process and comprehending

• Einstein had it right

When Einstein was in school his teachers called him an idiot and they said that he will never amount to much, all because of testing. Einstein's IQ is/was 175 and, if you ask me, that doesn't sound like an idiot. That is everything I had to say. So yea FIN

• Einstein had it right