• I completely agree!

Even though I'm only in grade 8, I participate in my provincial and municipal youth orchestras and I teach kids at a local music program on Wednesdays. Homework, however, presents me with a problem. Currently, I have 4 projects to complete along with an English and Health assignment. This is already kind of a lot to deal with, but I also have to practice for my concerts (which are generally a big deal) and for music festivals, etc.
    I admit that I AM a procrastinator, but this is still a bit much for a mere 13-year-old!

• Student Speaking: Our Lives Aren't Just School

What most teachers don't realize is that not only are we doing 8-9 hours of learning at school, but we spend 2-3 hours doing homework. That's about a half of day of school work, leaving us barley anytime to be a kid and do sports or things outside of work. The weekdays aren't the only problems, teachers often assigned weekends homework thinking that it's two extra days to do work for school which is during Monday through Friday, NOT Saturday through Sunday. School hasn't even been in for that long and whenever I come home I'm way to exhausted to work and often find myself sleep-deprived. In conclusion, students nowadays are getting WAY to much homework.

• Especially kids with after school activates who are trying not to get obese cant get there homework done. They need less homework or littler amounts.

Especially kids with after school activates who are trying not to get obese cant get there homework done they need less or littler amounts so they can not get fat and participate with their social life and get friends. Also if I get assigned more than 30 problems I start getting worried I wont be able to get it done.

• Where did the time go?

First off, there are only 24 hours in a day. I wake up at 5:30, because the bus comes at 6:30. School is from 7:30 to 2:30, where you learn for seven hours straight. Plus, the school encourages you to join extra-curriculars, which are an hour. Then, they also encourage you to join out-of-school activities, which are 1-2 hours long. So far, 9-10 hours are already gone.
    Homework is often 4-5 hours, often an assignment in each class. This is not only me, but as well as my friends and other peers. Now, 13-15 hours of the day are gone.
    Then there's dinner with your family, as well as other chores in your house, which are another 2 hours. [15-17 hours]
    Sleep is important. Lack of sleep leads to a variety of health issues, and if you are only getting 5 hours or less, that's not good. My school district recently stopped selling candy and sweets and switched everything to whole-wheat, so we could be healthier and avoid illnesses like diabetes or obesity. Well, a lack of sleep also leads to obesity, as well as other health problems. If the school is so fixated on us becoming healthier, why don't we stop the homework overload?

• It becomes stressful

The amount of homework given is stressful to students, instead we should be balancing out the homework. I once had 3 projects due within the same week, yes some may argue that it's necessary for college but is it necessary for life. The amount of work that i was given literally made me sick i want home day after day with headaches and i found difficultly eating. Yes people may think that this is just a personal problem, but it was also a student problem i wasn't the only one getting physically sick, due to the implementing work. Also if you look at college studies, student are developing drugs, turning to ADHD pills to help them pay attention during class, because they spent all night and the weekend doing homework. I feel that it's not only time consuming, but unnecessary. No one should have to spend most of their youth doing that much homework and being so tired at 12, 15 , 19 , or even mid twenties, that they can't focus it's not understandable.

• Too much to Do!!

Ik that kids are expected to have homework, but being a middle schooler myself, I regularly have no free time after school. Most of it has to do with hw, right when I get of the bus I go right to my hw which takes 5+ Hours. Now does that seem right? Think about it...

• Yes they are

They are given far to much homework in the majority cases. If you take into account the average schedule for a high school student. They're at school for the bulk of the day. They attend sports or clubs after class. They then have hours upon hours of assigned homework plus studying. It's beyond ridiculous to expect this from them. Especially considering studies have shown more homework does not equal better grades. It might show the students who are pressured or just enjoy it as excelling. But it pushes far more students who cannot handle the pressure into failure. Failing because of being over worked and not having enough time is wrong. It does nothing but make tired, de-motivated students.

• I couldn't agree more!

Homework is absolutely pointless! It doesn't help reinforce a students knowledge of a particular subject. Why would we need more of it? Honestly speaking, it should be abolished. I am a member of the National Honor Society and I study as much as I can to keep my grades up so i can stay in. Throughout my hours of study I have come to the conclusion that my homework has never reinforced my knowledge of the subject matter. The only thing that homework does to students is cause them stress and make them do worse! I speak on behalf of every student who is tormented by homework and say it is time for this educational nightmare to stop!

• Homework is absolutely pointless!

I'm in 8th grade, 13 years old. Typical day: I get up at 6:00 everyday to get dressed, eat breakfast, pack my backpack and lunch, brush my hair and my teeth. I catch the bus at 7:00. My first class starts at 7:30. I have class until 12:45. Then a 20 minute lunch break. Classes again until 2:45. I get home off the bus at 3:00. Take a 15 minute break to eat a snack and quickly feed and walk my dog. I start homework at 3:15. I usually have work to do in every class except P.E. (6 classes worth). I do homework until 5:00, then take a shower. Start again at 5:30, do homework until 7:30. Eat dinner until 8:00. Start homework again. I normally finish homework somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00. Go to sleep at 11:15. Repeat Monday through Friday. On weekends I often have essays to write and projects to finish. I hardly ever have time for extracurricular activities, hanging out with my friends, reading for recreation playing video games, etc. Scientists have discovered that 15 minutes of homework for each class is healthy. That should really be an hour and a half of homework, but I usually have about 7-8 hours of homework! This is ridiculous! I know teachers say they don't have enough time to do everything in class, and this is true to some extent, however I am always sleep deprived, stressed, and depressed due to all the homework and am constantly either doing or thinking about how much I have, and stressing since I miss hanging with my family and friends, and even when I do get time with them, I'm worrying about having to make up for the time I'm spending now, doing homework later. This sucks and I don't want to live my life like this anymore. I sometimes think about just letting my grades slip because this isn't worth it. We need to do something about this! I just can't do it anymore.

• Yes! Yes! Yes!

I have 7 freaking periods a day! I think i have enough already with a freaking 800 word essay in english class already! I don't need anymore. There is too much and it doesn't even improve you! I have better things to do than homework! I have a life you know.

• No, students are not given to much homework.

Homework teaches a student responsibility. It makes them realize that they have to do a task on their own or face consequences. This helps prepare them for the working world. It also keeps them busy at home and off of the streets and out of harms way. Kids need to be occupied.

• No, to be honest.

Some of the time it may feel like you have too much homework, but you just have to imagine the amount of time you spend procrastinating in order to realise that you don't have that much homework, you just don't have a lot of time to do it because you've been procrastinating a lot.

• Not by my watch.

I never had too much homework as a kid and, judging by the work my eleven year-old stepdaughter brings home, things haven't changed much since I was in school. I do not think that kids get too much homework; rather, I would like to see them given more, provided that parents are willing to sit down and help their kids.

• No, with the way the current education system is, I do not believe kids in America are given too much homework.

We, as Americans, like to be all arrogant, thinking we are the best. Well, we are not just born "the best". The ranking of the best goes to the people who make an effort to earn the title. As it is, our kids barely go to school 6-7 hours a day and quite a bit of that time is spent not focused on academics. With these hours and conditions, our kids need homework to keep up with the academic rigors of countries like China who will surpass us in greatness if we do not put aside our laziness (i.e. no homework). If kids went to school 9 hours a day, though, I would say that the homework being sent home now should be completed during those school hours.

• No They Aren't

Students are not given too much homework. Practice makes perfect and homework allows students to work on stuff outside the classroom and get more experience with whatever topic is being taught. Students are actually given the perfect amount of homework these days. Reducing the amount wouldn't be a good thing.