• Choking Hazards !!!

All those dice could go into someone's mouth or eye, and they could choke or be blinded! Also, the paper could give a nasty papercut and the figures could hurt if sat on. Apart from those, they are a perfectly safe release of energy and means to socialise with one's peers.

• Of course they are!

They teach children that the only answer to problems is violence! They are horribly brutal games that objectify all characters as mere pieces of paper or cardboard. This desensitizes children to the ramifications of violence and death.
    They are horrible evil things that are ruining our nation's generation.
    Before it was merely a few weirdos playing them, but they are becoming more popular now and it's showing.
    Our nation is in danger from these abominations.

• I do not think so.

People can perfectly distinguish between fantasy and reality. If you claim that role playing games are dangerous because people would want to imitate what is in them, you have to say the same about movies, tv, books, theatrical works, and every other fiction work out there.
    I do not see women wearing glass shoes around because they read cinderella in their childhood, or men kissing every sleeping woman they see because they saw the sleeping beauty movie long ago.
    People is not stupid, and it is time we stop treating them like they lacked a brain.

Posted by: Rafe
  • Better than Shooting Games

Tabletop RPGs don't contain graphic scenes of violence or people dying. The only "violence" would be from a DM or player's description. Far better than shooting people in FPS's. I don't know about other people, but I've made quite a few friends from various DnD games. And if you choke on dice, then that's your fault.

• Almost Everyone Has Role Played.

While this asks specifically about table top RPG's, the fact is if you played cowboys and Indians, superheroes, house, or many other games that needed your imagination when you were a child, then you have Role Played. The big difference between that and table tops? Table tops tend to have more rules, and ways to resolve things. So the dice (or other method) to resolve combat is so you don't start to childishly argue (in most cases lol), "I'm superman and I hit you with my laser vision!"

"No you didn't!"
    "Yes I did! ... Owwww I'm telling!"

If people have trouble separating the fantasy of these games with reality, then their friends and family should see about getting professional mental help for them. And in that case yes, try to keep them away until it can be resolved.

• No they are not

Its simple fun and imagination, its a way to escape the harshness of the real world, as well it is a great stress reliever, it also enhances your problem solving and critical thinking skills. Because anything can happen you have to always be prepared. The human element also makes everything a real challenge, in comparison to other types of gaming

• It's just a game

Role playing games are a healthy way of expressing yourself and telling stories. Players can immerse themselves in a world of fantasy that is fun and enjoyable, much like reading, except that they get to interact with this world and bring their friends along as well. Tabletop role playing games are only perceived as dangerous by those who _actually_ believe in magic.