• Taxes Are Needed - If They're By The People

Taxes are a necessary part of a democracy, as long as they pay for services the citizens approve of. When people rant resources such as public schooling, libraries, and welfare, they must in turn contribute to these programs. It only makes sense to help may for something if you're going to use it.

• What could be more constitutional?

What in the constitution says anything about us not being taxed? And why would we want to stop being taxed? As much as I feel that a lot of my tax money doesn't go where I'd like it to, I'm glad it's going to certain essential things. Where would we be without funding for roads or power? Where would our children play without government maintained parks? Who would protect us without an actively paid police force? Who would put out our fires, or deliver our mail? We need taxes to continue having a functioning society. Period.

• Yes, of course they are

Taxes in general are constitutional at least. I guess it could be argued that certain taxes are unconstitutional, which I am sure many of them are. But, in general, I do not think that there is anything in the constitution that prevents the government from simply taxing its citizens. The country needs taxes to function.

• Yes. Yes they are.

Even the income tax, though an amendment had to be added. Progressivity is more of an opinion, but so far the Supreme Court hasnt said nay yet (mostly because nay is for horses, I believe they would say "no"). I just hate having to file at end of year. Get rid of tax returns and deductions, for no other reason than I just really don't like paperwork.

• Yes, they are legally allowed.

Yes, taxes are constitutional. Taxation is legally allowed in the US government. Now, you can debate whether or not taxes are morally justifiable, or whether or not taxes are useful. Those questions may be harder to answer. But to figure out whether or not something is constitutional, you need only to look it up.

• Not Morally Consistent With Human Rights.

It is actually in the Constitution but that doesn't mean it doesn't violate our right to keep what we earn or our right to our property. Taxes are a bad thing people! Who cares if it pays for programs--most of which can be privatized, it is wrong to be stealing from others without their consent. Even though taxation has representation by a majority vote, that doesn't mean it has the consent by everyone, so there is a rights violation here. We want to minimize this violation by voting for less taxes!

• My money is for me to spend as choose

The government has no right to dictate what I do with the money I earned. Imports can be taxed, as well as corporatons. Individuals and mom&pops should be left alone. This is why I moved to China. I earn more money, and there are no personal income taxes here. Corporations are taxed at a flat 6%. It's simpler, easier, and nobody has to lie or cheat their way out of taxes.

caesar953 says2013-04-22T22:36:41.257
Can any real American show me the law that states that the IRS has the legal right to take income from everyone who is a US citizen? By the way, the US constitution is not the law. The 16th Amendment is not the law. Please can anyone show me that law?
Lafayette says2013-04-23T09:08:59.190
TAXATION AS A MORAL IMPERATIVE

Taxes are necessary for a number of purposes, since they tend to regulate not only human behaviour (in terms of preferences) but also the allocation of tax revenues by local, state and Federal governments.

In the absence, however, of a common understanding of what are more important, local or national objectives, we find ourselves in a national quandary where, unfortunately, there is much dissension. May I suggest that the argumentation misses the point? And, if so, just what is the point?

As an American living abroad in Europe, I can see vividly that the objectives of taxation are widely different between the US and Europe - at a national level. At local levels of administration, everybody wants the same facilities, the same civil protection, etc.

But at a national level, I submit there is a far greater emphasis of Moral Values in Europe than in the US. In Europe the accent is upon a Just Society, meaning a society in which fairness is the predominant characteristic. For which, high taxation and redistribution is a prevalent national policy across countries. The onus on "tax and spend" or "tax the rich and spend on the poor" is far less accentuated in the US. Total taxation of most European countries is a significantly higher percentage of GDP in Europe than in the US. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

Which is why America has the most unfair of economic Gini Coefficients of most modern Western Countries. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gini_since_WWII.svg

Why does this happen? I maintain because Economic Fairness is simply not part of our National Debate. We talk around the matter and not to the subject. That is, we muse about Corporate Welfare or those who "mooch" off Public Generosity, just to mention two of the more prevalent colloquialisms that are employed in our debates. Or the 1Percenters versus the 99Percenters.

But we rarely talk about taxation as a means to fairness. Though a lot is said about both the negative/positive affects of taxation upon economic activity. Meaning that we seem to equate fairness with economic objectives(particularly employment), which is certainly commendable. But is that sufficient?

Fairness, I submit, means that a Market Economy, one capable of generating enormous wealth, should most certainly breed a great many very wealthy families, which is the reward for both risk-taking and visionary entrepreneurship. That it does is not really debatable.

What is debatable, however, is the distribution of wealth across the societal spectrum, where studies show (and not only the Gini Coefficient) that the sharing is highly unjust, greatly unfair and therefore morally unconscionable. So unfair that it incarcerates 15% of the American population to an existence below the poverty threshold and a larger percentage to a highly mediocre existence.

It is therefore this Moral Imperative that, I submit, is missing from the national debates regarding income taxation.

Lafayette says2013-04-23T09:13:42.247
See here: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html

Note paragraph 5. I quote that paragraph, "The amendment gave Congress legal authority to tax income and resulted in a revenue law that taxed incomes of both individuals and corporations."

So, no, one cannot dismiss an amendment to the constitution that institutionalizes taxation throughout the US.