• Everyone thinks they're underpaid..

In Ontario, the top salary a teacher can earn is about $94,000. Do they provide a valuable service? Yes. But the reward should not be purely money. It's very rewarding to see children grow. Almost making six figures is a bit much, especially since there are tons of qualified teachers that can't get jobs because the labor market is over saturated.They would be more than happy to work for less. So why shouldn't we let them?

• The issue is value.

The question that is never asked is what value does a teacher have. The value of a skill is based on the availability and demand. There is plenty of demand for teachers, however the availability of qualified teachers goes way beyond this demand. So to regulate value, the government artificially caps availability by placing rod blocks in front of perspective teachers. I have a masters in theoretical mathematics. I can teach at the college level, but I am restricted from teaching K-12 students because I lack the correct certificate. If value was not regulated teacher pay would return to its original starting point, $0.

• Yes they are

My aunt works as an assistant in a kindergarten class at a school and she gets paid less then the teacher even though she is with the children less time. Also the "teacher" has a longer lunch break then she does and my aunt teaches the children more then the "teacher". And finely, teachers go on strike to get paid more, yet do you see doctors, or sanitation workers or firelighters going on strike, no you don't and why, because there not bitches who "need" more money cause they need a lambkin.

• Decent pay for barely working... Not sure what they are complaining about.

I put in 50-60 hour weeks, work hard, learn new skills, barely take vacation in a mentally challenging in demand field, and the market compensates me accordingly. Teachers work short days, with long breaks (which are plenty to avoid their "work at home hours" if they are efficient), work maybe half the year, and honestly they have no skill set, we have the internet, textbooks, the knowledge is there in many forms. All this being said they still get a fairly decent salary, and somehow they constantly claim otherwise? If they feel that way they can let the market decide what they are worth (shocker... It probably quite a bit less than they currently make)

• Part time hours full time pay

Elementary school teachers send their students to art class, music class, technology class, library, gym class and let's not forget at least 2 recesses and lunch. And of course the day ends at 3. Work at home does not compare to professionals working year round, salaried with no overtime pay, no snow days, no spring break, no holiday break, no planning/professional training days , no 3 month summer break, etc. For experienced teachers; their teaching plans have been developed and are repeated onto the next years class (other than revisions and updates). For teachers to use the argument that grading assignments and papers at home is equivalent to work hours in the private sector is ridiculous.

• Part time hours full time pay

• Why not research the profession first

After retiring at age 65, I often wondered why I didn't choose the teaching profession first. Throughout my career I averaged about $30,000 a year working in very skilled positions and ended my career as a vice president of a company. What I have now is a very nice nest egg I accumulated over my lifetime, Medicare insurance for which I pay roughly $200 each month out of my social security check, no pension. Comparing that to a teacher who works 30 years, my retirement lifestyle would have been much easier had I choose teaching for my career. I only ask all teachers today to stop a breath, look at other careers, and compare what you really have. You might be able to be thankful for what you do have and move on with life.

• Yes they are!

My highschool teachers gets 2 75 min breaks in a 6.3 h day! Besides half of the time there asking us to work on the textbook and, answer worksheet questions they randomly find on the internet. What's so hard about that? I can't say for all teachers, but it apply to all the teachers I have. They dont teach any life skills and I have to learn everything by myself, because the classes are too big. And all those breaks they have! It's so unfair!

• Teachers EXTREMELY overpaid

For the number of hours worked, considering shorter work days, summer holidays, winter & march breaks, their salary annualized is equivalent to over $115K+. As a taxpayer, I don't mind paying that much if that salary equated to a higher quality of education. As we have seen in the latest EQAO results, the education our kids are receiving is lacking. There are hardly any field trips and parents are constantly asked to donate or buy school supplies (as if we are not paying enough taxes already!) How can our kids possibly have a quality education when the teachers are nitpicking about every little task they have to do as negotiating grounds for a strike to get more money???? And they say they do it for our kids??? What a bunch of BS!

• Over paid and complain

I know many teachers and they are all over paid. Teacher's, teach our children 50% of the time. Who teaches and molds them into the people they will become the other 50%? The Parents!! When I was in school we had some teachers who were into truly teaching. Today it's about money, money and time off. Try working a full-time job with no guaranteed increase and pension.

• Speaking from experience, no teachers are not overpaid.

I laugh at the responses claiming that teachers have short work hours and several breaks per day. I also laugh at those who naively believe teachers enjoy three months off in the summer. While teachers are only paid for nine out of the twelve months per year, I assure you a good teacher will work all twelve. The students may attend class from 8:00 to 3:00, but a (good) teacher will work an average of 10-11 hours a day, and no, that time is not all spent grading and assessing. The amount of time it takes to develop rigorous, relevant, and differentiated lessons that challenge the academically high and support and scaffold the low is unreal. And by the way, all of these high and low students are in the same classroom demanding the teacher’s attention at the same time. And also no, these lessons are not available in the standard textbooks. No good teacher will rely on a school system’s basel for a well rounded education. A good teacher will not teach the same curriculum year after year. It must constantly evolve along with both the student’s and society’s needs.
    In addition to educational needs, teachers must also be skilled in dealing with the emotional and behavioral issues our students are dealing with. I could go on with much more but I do no believe I would actually change anyone’s mind. I believe this is a situation where one would not be able to truly understand until walking a mile in a (good) teacher’s shoes.

• Working all the time!

My wife is a teacher and every weekend all she does is work. I keep asking her why? She always says I need to mark this I need to mark that. We have this event next week and I need to organize parent letters for the sports, teams and after school math, etc, etc!!!

• Teachers are underpaid compared to the starting salaries of other professions.

Contrary to popular belief, teaching isn't a nine month job. Teachers are tasked with work 24/7 because they have to take their work home with them and grade assignments; during the summer they are also hers aretasked with planning for the upcoming school year. So, with the amount of work teachers have to do, they are vastly underpaid.

• Absolutely Not!

In my opinion, I'd say they are severely underpaid! A teacher uses up 9/10 of their day grading, teaching, and giving their all to their students and schools, and what do they get? An almost minimum wage! Teachers should be paid more for what all they give up for their students! I may only be a high school junior, but even I think [after research of wages and salaries] that teachers deserve to be paid more. This is simply my opinion.

• Union teachers are paid a fair wage

UT's get job protection, mostly without regard to job performance. Many professions spend years in college. Many professions go to workshops, meetings, educate, and even plan their next workday after they're "off the clock". Many professions struggle with a "problem child" employee, no different than a 5-18 year-old. And, many of these 12-month-a-year professionals only earn as much as a teacher who only works 9-months a year.

• No, teachers could not possibly be overpaid for all they do.

Teachers spend years in college learning how to be a teacher. Once they have earned that right they are still consistently required to go to workshops and meetings to expand that knowledge. Teachers spend a great deal of time preparing lesson plans, sitting through staff meetings, and parent/teacher conferences. They do so much more than just teach during school hours. Teachers are there to teach our children, but they also mentor them, counsel them, discipline them when needed, and care for them, both mentally and physically. Teachers are preparing and helping to create the next generation. How could one ever be overpaid for doing all of that?

• No, they are usually paid fairly.

In the vast majority of cases, teachers are either paid fairly for their work and skills or not enough for all the hassles they have to deal with. It is true that they have some months off, but they also work longer days than people realize during the year because of all the preparation involved. The only overpaid teachers are the ones whose work is so bad that they should be fired anyway. The problem is not the salary of teachers; it is the system that keeps the bad ones in place.

• Teachers don't make enough!

For what teachers are asked to do, I don't believe they make enough. A teacher is asked to be a counselor, disciplinarian, mentor, caretaker, and educator every day. I would agree that there are some administrators, superintendents, and higher ranking school officials who make entirely too much money for the duties they perform. When it comes to teachers, though, they are responsible for the education of our youth, and they should be paid appropriately.