• They are underpaid

Teachers are working their butts off to make our education s great as possible. Yet all they are getting is a minimum pay day. I think we should pay teachers more, because if a teacher had a child, and she/he got only $500 then she can't support her/his child.

• Teachers Have a Tough Job

It's not easy to sit in front of 30 children for six hours per day to ensure they are educated. Grade school teachers, from K-12, should be paid much more in a public school setting. The difficulty is that taxpayers may not be willing to pay higher tax levies to get higher salaries. With so much stuff teachers have to deal with, including violence in school and deadbeat parents, educators need to be paid more to teach our children.

• Good teachers are unpaid

There is no doubt that the education system has its myriad flaws. However, most young teachers--the ones with fresh gusto for teaching, new methods and up-to-date credentials, tend to be the most underpaid. Unfortunately, they also do not have tenure and many other advantages of long-time teachers. We need to switch to a system of paying teachers in accordance to their ability and results.

• Yes, teachers are underpaid

Jobs that require a similar amount of education have much higher starting salaries and provide much more room for growth. In addition teaching is a difficult job that requires lots of energy and dedication. Teachers often have to do a lot with limited resources and will often spend their own money buying teaching supplies. In addition teachers are required to take continuing education classes.

• Yes, Underpaid. Especially with what they have to deal with today.

Where shall I begin...Well, there's the 14 hour days, 7 days a week for most who are truly doing their best to reach every child in their classroom. Do the math...That 2.25 months in the summer, 9 weeks, isn't even close to making up for all the time put in during "school year" hours. Then there's time put in over the summer - new programs, professional hours required to keep your certification, etc. Don't misunderstand, MANY teachers, such as my son's do this without a peep. But I've seen the kids and heard the stories, I see the pressure to perform and the weight on her shoulders when a student is hurting. It's an inner-city school. Money is VERY tight and she puts a lot of her own money out for the kids' benefit.

My position is that they are doing one of, IF not THE most important job - raising tomorrow's leaders. Why or why do we (collectively) not pay them better and value them more?

• Yes teachers are underpaid.

I have four son-in-laws.
    One workers in the computer field . He received a masters degree. He makes almost $100,000 per year. His wife can stay home with their children.
    One graduated college without a masters. He is in construction. He makes $70,000 a year. His wife can stay home with their children.
    One is in school
    And my last son-in-law is a high school teacher with a masters. He makes $40,000 a year. The only way they can survive is if my daughter works. She does stay home with the children but she works from home from 9 at night until 3in the morning. So she runs on 4hours sleep while taking care of her kids. They change shifts every four months. One shift she worked from 4 until 10 four nights a week.
    So my son-in-law came home from work to take care of the kids while she worked.
    Every teacher that I know of has had two jobs just to survive.

• Teachers are underpaid

If you have 0 years of experience you make 37000 per year they are teaching our worlds future they need to be appropriately paid. They have to also pay to go to collage and to provide for there family. THEY ARE UNDERPAID!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT VERY MUCH, UGGGGGG UGGGGGG UGGGG

• Teachers are definitely underpaid

I'm not just saying this because I am a teacher of 28 years. I still work just as hard as when I started... Maybe even harder to keep current with the demands of society and the students. Those of you who think just because we have been teaching for a long time are just collecting a paycheck because we have tenure really need to get a clue. I will challenge anyone who thinks that they have an idea of what we deserve... Come into a classroom, be a teacher at any grade, for a month and see exactly what our job requires before you continue to talk, & give an OPINION about something you're not well-versed in. I don't put out fires or help save random people ... Of course those positions need to be substantially reimbursed.However, while your sitting down in your cubicle or comfy chair, not only am I standing, crouching, kneeling or being pushed, stepped on, and yelled at by your child.I'm teaching the future generation what they need to know to survive... I'm tying their shoe, wiping thier noses, getting sneezed on, coughed on, vomited on, making sure none of you weirdos break into my school and pull a gun out, hug them if they are crying, mold 26 little minds times 15 classes I teach, listen to their unending needs and wants, be able to save YOUR child's life while you look at your quiet computer. Your are sorely mistaken. TEACHERS NEED TO BE APPRECIATED AND PAID FOR THEIR HARD WORK IN AND OUT OF SCHOOL!

• Teachers work hard

Teachers work hard and they have a responsibility to teach any person who wants to be anything. Without teachers we have no professionals.No doctors, scientists, engineers, lawyers, etc. So the question to our society is the real value of teachers and how much is society willing to pay to them for the unique work they do.

• Teachers work hard

• From a Teacher

I am a teacher at a pubic high school making 65k per year (with 8 years experience), full benefits and retirement, 3+ months a year off (Xmas, Spring break, Summer, etc), with my master's degree paid for by the district. My wife is also a teacher making 55k per year. Because I have a long summer break, I am able to generate income on the internet with small business (it generates around 30k per year after taxes). All said, my household income is 150k per year. My wife and I are off work all summer, get nights and weekends off, and never miss time with our children. Sure, classes full of crappy kids can stink, but, I keep reminding myself of how well I have it when I have a bad day. By the way.. I am in a district that DOES NOT have a union. We are paid and given raises based on: 50% from student growth throughout the year on state tests, and 50% from evaluations. I get raises every year because I perform well. I am honestly a little indifferent towards my students, but, because I am able to keep them behaved and educated, I do well financially. The crummy teacher who pops in videos and reads her paper? She was replaced by someone who can get results.

• not only no, but heck no

Grade school teachers in my town make $77,000 per year... For a 9 month a year job, plus benefits. Teaching is a fine profession, but it's a pretty nice gig.
    EVERYBODY works hard, teachers are not alone. I just don't buy that their position is so bad.
    We also have several tenured teachers (one notably) that are horrible and we can't get rid of them. Starting out teaching at $36k per year is normal for most professions.
    With few exceptions I think teaching is a gravy job.

• One Must First Know How Much They make

To logically answer this question, one must have some idea of how much teachers make. In my county, starting pay is $60,000 WELL above the starting pay for private schools in my county: $35,000

By that means, public teachers in my county CLEARLY are overpaid if they make more then average median household income of $48,000 while there entire job of t"teaching" comes from pre-developed lesson plans. They sit and read off papers or out of a book. WOW, what a hard job, I could that too and be even better then half of them. They, at least in my county, DO NOT under any circumstances deserve $60,000 for a starting pay check.

Check out some of these ridiculous salaries here: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/FCPS_SALARIES_12.htm

Granted some are lower then others, but the majority of them are in the upper crust range of $60,000. A number I could only DREAM of as a single man.

• Demand

Teaching is like any other profession. They will be paid what the market defines as their value. If we set the standards for results and we cannot get the right candidates, the pay rate will be increased until the demand is filled. Presently there is a glut of teachers thus proving that the pay rate is if anything too hign.

• Teachers don't work any harder than any other profession

I have learned over the years of writing on this topic to expect a number of rebuttals, and we might as well deal with these in advance:

You are forgetting teachers only get paid for 9 months of the year

Yes, on a total salary basis, teachers are paid less than other professionals because they don’t work as much. I can’t really see the unfairness in this (I run a seasonal business and don’t pay people when the operations are closed). My guess is that for many teachers this is a feature, not a bug — that as many are attracted by having the summer off as are harmed by it.

Further, this is a management choice made by schools that could be fixed instantly. I have always thought it was crazy that we invest billions in physical and human resources for education and then let all this capacity lie dormant 25% of the year. Even if kids only went to school for 9 months a year, their terms could be rotated through the calendar so school assets are used all year long and teachers could have a full 12 months employment.

Teachers do a lot of work at home

The BLS believes it has corrected for this in the hourly wages it publishes, but what if it has not? Are teachers really more likely to take work home than are other professionals?

• At least in California, they are overpaid

Go to transparentcalifornia.Com and you can search various public employee salaries, including those of teachers.

Yes, teachers DO get summers off. My circle of friends has quite a few teachers and they are busy facebooking and instragraming their vacation pictures during summer while the rest of us are working. Teachers with close to 10 years experience in LAUSD make 70k to 80k per year. Transparent California's website also shows quite a few six figure pensioned retired teachers.

• Teachers are not better than other people.

Teachers think they are a gift to civilization and have a very high opinion of themselves because of the hard work it took for them to become teachers in the first place. A noble profession to be sure. But noble thoughts require sacrifice. Teachers are unwilling to sacrifice. I would say...Let a teacher spend a day in the shoes of another public service worker such as a Sanitation Worker, a Police Officer, a Fireman, or....As any worker...And then say who is underpaid. Teachers do not care about any other unions...Only theirs.
    They have decent salaries, tenure, amazing health plans, sick leave, short hours, long vacations, and other perks that are shameful, and work for a bureaucracy that is corrupt, broken and elitist.

• Pay for performance!

Lose the union and receive pay based upon your performance as an individual like the rest of us with jobs or businesses. As a previous
    School board member, I know that there are fair measurement tools available but teachers want to argue that you can't measure their performance due to students with varying capabilities or due to coming from lower social economic areas. The answer is easy, test the students at the beginning of the year and a similar test at the end of the year. (Can't be the same or teachers will teach to the test.) Measure the results and pay accordingly.

• Teacher's are under worked and overpaid

The myth that is continually spread by the union, Hollywood and the media on how teachers are overworked and underpaid is truly disgusting. Teacher's are generously compensated by their yearly salary, health benefits, sick time, short work day hours and of course easy as pie yearly appearance calendars. There are far far more difficult jobs (police officer, EMT, nursing, coal mining etc……) in the world yet, you don't hear them squawking with complaints every chance available. Many educators in the NYC School System make over $125,000.00 per year while working only six and a half hours a day and having nearly four months off each and every year. The facts just don't support this insane and insulting axiom the teachers live by. In fact, I truly believe that educators are under worked and overpaid.

• A paradigm that needs to change

Teachers are well compensated for their work. Most of them love their jobs and, in my experience, the majority of them live fulfilling lives including things like traveling all over the world during the summer. There are issues of course, such as tenured teachers who are lousy educators and should not be employed, in a system that needs to be overhauled. However, this insistent whine from teachers about how underpaid they are needs to stop. Babysitters do not earn as much money as teachers. Comparing the two is simply absurd. A teacher I know started her career earning 45k and now earns 60k per year. She does teach special ed,meaning she earns slightly more than regular teachers. So let's do the math. At that rate, we're she to work 12 months per year instead of 9, she would earn close to 80k per year. Not bad for having only been at the job seven years.