Are the arguments pro-choice people make good arguments against abortion?

Asked by: MasturDbtor
  • Most of the time

The right for a woman to choose to have an abortion is an important right, however one often sees the pro-choice camp devaluing the fetus. Some, but not all, pro-choicers fail to acknowledge that while a fetus is certainly no child, it does have the potential to be a child.

• Pro-choice Arguments Devalue Life

If it wasn't for this I would seriously be pro-choice. But it's too common and widespread to see pro-choice people making arguments in the abortion debate saying things that imply and sometimes explicitly state that the lives of people who are abused/neglected in childhood, people who are in foster care, or people who are disabled are completely worthless and they should've been aborted. If nobody made those arguments or pro-choice people were quick to confront such arguments to point out the horrific implications being made then I would be pro-choice. However, it's clear that legalized abortion has spawned a mentality of making what ever arguments one can like a sophist from ancient Greece to defend their position even if the argument has odious and horrific implications. The sort of arguments that have been made, not legal abortion directly but the arguments for it could lead to eugenicism. Shame on the pro-choice movement for being so callous as to encourage "anything that works" as an argument! If you didn't say things which amount to things like "foster kids should've been aborted and have worthless lives" (my aunt and uncle were foster kids) then I would be pro-choice.

• I hate abortion

At the 40th year of legal abortion in America, our nation remains divided on the most important human rights issue of our time. We cannot afford another 40 years of bloodshed and tears. We cannot stand by and watch another 55 million die from the deceit of the abortion industry. We must abolish abortion in this lifetime.

• This doesn't even make sense.

Regardless of the emotional appeals claimed here, the vast majority of pro-choice advocates simply argue that the government should not have the right to regulate a woman's body, and that banning abortion does not actually stop abortions but simply kills women (95% of all abortions in the world occur in nations where it is illegal).

I can't think of an argument that would justify forcing a woman to be an incubator against her will.

• Occasionally they can be well put together.

I think the people supporting pro-life need to do a bit more research on abortion. There are no scientific studies showing that abortion hurts the fetus. There isnt a way to tell when the fetus's heart starts beating because every fetus is different. Sadly, there arent millions of couples just waiting to adopt. Orphanages are overflowing, and adoption is extremely time consuming and expensive. Abortion should stay legal because if they make it illegal back-alley abortions will just make a reappearance and the maternal death rate will spike. I'm fourteen and I know more about this than most of the pro-life supporters.

• “I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”

I feel the greatest destroyer of peace today is 'Abortion', because it is a war against the child... A direct killing of the innocent child, 'Murder' by the mother herself... And if we can accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?

• No, they aren't.

No, I do not think that the arguments that pro-choice people make are good arguments against abortions. I think that the arguments they make, such as the argument that women should be in control of their own body, are good arguments to support abortions, certainly not arguments that are against abortion.