Are the arts as important to education as mathematics and science?

• Arts 4 sure

Arts is very important.. Perhaps even more than science.. All the political ideologies come under arts.. And it is arts or political ideologies that led to mass killing of people in.. Say.. Soviet union or Germany for that matter.. So for the existance of justice and humanity it self.. U need a detailed and a clear study of arts.. What would science do when no human is left?? I myself am a science student and believe that every field of study exists because there is a need for it.. Then be it science, sociology, women stress study, political ideologies, commerce, economics.. U name it

• Science is important but arts are even more important.. See why..!!

• We need a fun and creative class!

We always do all this boring (sometimes) classes without being asked if we want fun or creativity. I love art, a lot. People always underestimate the importance of a break for fun. If you don't like it, you should have the option not to take it. I just think a break from hard thinking is very well needed!

• Yes,my point is an equal chance.

As we know,nowadays parents are more likely to concentrate on math and science,since they believe that math and science is far more important than art.However,this is unfair for people who mastered art,for the parents are not experties,so their thoughts are not relevent.They are just their conventional thoughts.People who teaches art would not earn money more than math or science teachers,only because of their conventional thoughts.

• Yes, especially to gifted students

Yes, teaching arts is important, especially to those gifted in arts. I think educators need to find out what areas a specific student is interested and gifted in, and focus on those areas. No need to shove math down the throat of a future artist or writer. No need to force in-depth study of paintings of a future mathematician.

• Science and arts support each other

As an educated person, one must be able to reason and think critically. This requires an understanding of history and the challenges presented to humans in great literature. Such critical thinking requires being able to support an opinion with evidence that is based on scientific evidence. All of which indicates that education needs a balance of the arts that direct attention to the human being and his happiness backed not just by guess work but by evidence present by science/

• Arts and Science for a Well-Rounded Education

Yes, think about a university, this is where you go to gain knowledge from all different perspectives. This is where students are taught to "think outside the box." People have an appreciation for more than just one area of study. How could we teach are children to develop their whole beings if we left one or the other out of education? I couldn't imagine public school with out art and music or science. Spending can be cut from something besides education, its to important to our country's future.

• Yes!

Everybody needs to express themselves and art class is one of the best way for this. They need to have an imagination to make connection between things and art gives what it takes to fo that. So balance is important. Also maybe someone is not that good in maths but good in art so you need to support the creative kids as well as the smart ones.

• Yes equally

I think that "non- core" classes are just as important as the rest because we are not producing robots. We need to make sure that students have a choice of who they want to be and what they want to be. The other classes offered let the students explore other options of likes and dislikes.

• Balance is key

I'm involved in music and that is because that was something that was required to learn in school. I am so thankful for that because music is my passion. I think the arts are just as important because they can really define someone later in life. Whether it is an artist, a musician, an actor, or a dancer; it is important to teach children all of it and have them keep an open mind.

• Art is not important!

In this day and age education is everything, and a strong education in the maths and sciences will provide a strong job and future allowing a straight A student to take his hard work and have it pay off exponentially in the future. In today's time many school do not allow music and arts and those people are in the upper echelon and become very responsible young men and women.

• Art is not important!

• The world can live without art, music, dancing, etc.

The truth is, this world does not need these things. Science, math, reading, are all basic, core skills you need for a career. The world does not need dancing, art, etc. unless you are a musician, dancer, artist, etc. We need careers that use math and science to keep the economy running.

• Lol lol lol

STEM IS BETTER m8 STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8STEM IS BETTER m8

• NO It is not

Art will not save us. We live in a society that needs clear concise answers, not emotional expressions or interpretations. I agree that art is important for the individual but not collectively as important as math, science or other academics. Our world is changing and we need to be prepared.

• It's NOT and that is the strait cold truth.

In the past art was a great deal to everyone, take the renaissance into account, people like Da Vinci, and other famous ruled the time and proved to still be relevant today. Until the uprising of science slowly pushed its way through the arts and became more important, if not necessary. Today if the world depended on one calculus question or equation to how long we had left until the polar ice caps melted, who would be more qualified to answer that question and get it right, a scientist that studies that field of science or some artist that makes paints drawings for museums for a living? Obviously the scientist, and that is how it's going to be because science is the future of humanity. And I get art was our culture and got it to where we are today, but that is in the past and will be for however many years earth and humanity has left. And art isn't driving those last years of earth its science. And that is why science is more relavent/important to learn

• Art is very important and needed.

However, I do not see art being as important as mathematics and science. I am an artistic person and love to sketch and airbrush. I still do not think that arts are not as important, though they do have importance, as mathematics and science. Art does require practice and skill, which can both be easily achieved outside of school. Mathematics and science are more complicated and harder to learn. They pretty much make up the public school curriculum.

• Art should never be forced in school.

Having a balance of education is good, but in the art category, it's really not needed. I hate art, personal opinion, my opinion, but, if you're forcing art on kids who were like me, they'll end up hating it even more. Having art to "express" themselves is one of many ways to express their life, or whatever.

• No. They are not.

Look, modern art is just weird. It is just a bunch of shapes and colors, with little to no skill. You can't get a job doing that, so stop smoking pot you hippies, put on a suit, and apply for the janitorial job at your local McDonalds. Or you could be a male prostitute.

• No it is not!

If you really think about it, if you are going to college, they will not be looking at how many art and dances classes you took. They will be looking at your grades in science and math because in the time that we are living in now, that is what really matters and what will land you a good and steady job.