• Yes, they are.

Though they are not my favorite, they are overrated. But I guess everyone likes what they like. Guess it was cute guys playing guitar and drums and vocals that made women go crazy. THE BEATLES ARE OVERRATED. THE BEATLES ARE OVERRATED. THE BEATLES ARE OVERRATED. THE BEATLES ARE OVERRATED. AGREE?

• Great band but ridiculously overrated

As much as the next guy, I'll turn up a good Beatles song if it comes on the radio. But it's just ridiculous how much they've been worshipped in the last 50 years like none of the bands that came after them even mattered. They had a very large, loud generation of baby boomers adoring them hyping them up and that is how they reached their current overrated status. 30 years ago, Elvis was held in the same high regard as the Beatles, but he rightfully fell from his perch. I wish the Beatles would do the same, but admittedly they were more talented and did the most to invent white person rock. So maybe they'll never go away. I get tired of all these retired people arguing about what Paul ate for breakfast the day John and George were recording an accordion part on some crappy b-side. Who cares? Music has moved on, let that crap go already.

• Boy Band of the 60s

So So musicians compared to The Faces, Kinks, Hendrix, Clapton ya get the idea. Was at the right place right time like alot of the things in life. Feel they kinda copied Buddy Holly's style and ran with it. Ringo basic drummer NO vocals, Paul decent vocals basic bass player. George and John basic compared to other talent of that time period. They were the New Kids on the Block-Bay City Rollers of the 60s but came to music at a time when music was changing so they rode the wave and the rest is history

• Yeah, the Beatles really are not that good

Not one person in the band was the best at what they did. Ringo is not the best drummer of all time, George Harrison was not the best bassist ever, Paul McCartney was not the best guitarist ever, and John Lennon is not the best vocalist ever. The only category they could possibly win is best song writing duo, And even then a lot of their songs are totally nonsensical (i.E. I am the Walrus). Their early songs are almost entirely made to sell themselves to a young, female audience. When they start branching out after they have achieved fame, they start doing so many drugs the lyrics do not make sense in the slightest what so ever.

Additionally, they preached messages and helped a movement they had no real relation to. This being the hippie movement, or counter-culture. John Lennon (yes I know this is solo career) wrote "Imagine" a song where he asks you to imagine a world without possessions. He had millions of dollars, drove a rolls royce and had excessive displays of his wealth everywhere. Not to mention he was a dead beat Dad to his first son Julian.

Overrated? That's an under statement

• Overrated and annoying

I never liked the Beatles. Not to be "anti"; simply because I don't like their music. Yes, it's possible. No, I don't care who thinks I'm nuts or stupid for it.

Some of their music (e.G. "Yellow Submarine") is so awful to my ears it actually induces my anger.

They did not invent Rock n' Roll. They were not the first. Even if they were, so what? Being foundational is not the same as being good, nor should it command respect. There have been a great many awful things that inspired truly good things. But the inspiration is still awful.

This is about as rational as Beatles defenders can get:

http://noisey.Vice.Com/blog/shut-your-dumb-stupid-mouth-about-the-beatles-being-overrated

Case closed.

• Most overrated band of all time.

They will always be the most overrated band of all time. Sorry nut job Beatle fans. They never have been, non will they ever be the greatest band of all time. Couldn't even play their instruments correctly. They were nothing more than a boy band until 1967. Their later music was nothing but cartoonyey.

• Boy Band Crap

Not any better or worse than nsync. Hardly the greatest musicians to ever live.
    They weren't even original as every one thinks. They were the British Everly brothers. And most of the music is direct rip off of blues rhythms and riffs white washed for the masses. If anything they might be the greatest marketing geniuses to ever live.

• Other bands of the time were leagues better

Sure, the Fab Four made crazy experimental music on their last couple records, however, experimental doesn't always mean "stroke of genius". The only reason their experimental stuff was considered in the mainstream was because they already put out other sugar coated records to appeal to the masses that sounded eerily similar to works by artists such as the Monkees. Since they already exploded, people gave them a chance and because they reached such a wider audience because of their publicity, they were received better than they normally would be when they got into drugs and changed their style up. Sine they were overrated at the time, they filtered down through the generations and beatle fans to this day are still claiming they were the greatest band alive when really, they were very good at publicizing themselves and marketing their brand to a mass audience.

• They are not the best band ever

The Beatles are pretty talented, but they are not the best band ever. A lot of their music sounds kind of rushed, but I have to admit, a few of their songs are really good. However, I think they get a little bit too much praise. That's just my opinion.

• They were the first Boy Band!

That they could actually play instruments was just a plus. They made sugar pop music up until Rubber Soul. All their "innovations" were from the mind and work of their Producer, George Martin. For instance, Martin added the strings to "Yesterday". He also took two unfinished songs and cobbled them together to make "A Day In The Life", adding the crescendo bridge in the middle and end of the song. He scored and conducted a strings-only accompaniment to "Eleanor Rigby" inspired by Bernard Herrmans's score for Alfred Hitchcock's film "Psycho". He provided a quirky and original arrangement for brass, violins, cellos, and the Mike Sammes Singers vocal ensemble on "I Am The Walrus". There are many more examples of George Martin writing piano or accompaniment parts for Beatles songs. It was so prevalent that the Beatles could not tour anymore as they could not reproduce the songs on stage with just the four of them. They were a simple pop band, the Justin Beiber or One Direction of their time, that were elevated by the work of George Martin. But, the elevation could never achieve the complexity of other contemporary bands.

Posted by: ArtR
  • The greatest band

The Beatles changed the musical landscape worldwide and earned the respect of musicians across genres. Tell me who among subsequent artists that are said to have further revolutionized music had that privilege? Nirvana? The Clash, Sex Pistols? Eminem? Not one. The Beatles are simply beyond comparison; no other band was every near their league

• The Beatles? Overrated? You've got to be kidding me!

I believe entirely that the Beatles were at the center of nearly every good rock and roll scene. Bob Dylan was inspired by the Beatles, the Byrds were inspired by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones were inspired by the Beatles, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were inspired by the Beatles- Heck, nearly everyone I can think of was inspired in some way by the music of the Beatles. And who wouldn't be? When the witty lyrics of John Lennon are combined with the musicianship of George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney. Who wouldn't want to spend a summer's evening, listening to I am the Walrus? Well, who then? Who??

• Definitely not Overated!!!!!

I'm a third year music business major now. I think I am entitled to more than my opinion. Although the beatles are not my favorite band, I do like them a lot and understand what they did. They were originally a band picked up in the first wave british invasion to be marketed as "Family Entertainment". However, they quickly gained success and drove away from that attitude. Because of the different influences of the time and the 60's, the Beatles began experimenting with music and production. When revolver came out, people were like "what the hell happened?" in a positive way! They were being well received because they took the pop out of rock and put in the idea that a band didn't have to be traditional, but rather experimental and emotional, in an obscure way. Plus, they didn't have any kind of formal musical training: couldn't read, and couldn't really put it down on staff paper either. The Beatles were so important. Important enough for them to be a core musical example in the basic and complex music theory classes I MUST take as a music major. So anybody who says they are overrated is ignorant and simply doesn't understand that impact, and simply bases their opinion on their own taste in music.

• Definitely not Overated!!!!!

• Objectively, they are not overrated

Determining how good a songwriter or musician or trying to rank bands is incredibly subjective. One person's opinion is not really relevant anyway. Collectively, people loved The Beatles throughout the band's existence and still do decades later, perhaps more than any pop group. Like every other band that ever "made it", they had the right product to offer at the right time. Their music has withstood the test of time. They are "rated" exactly where they should be.

• Objectively, they are not overrated

• The best ever.

The argument that they would only be an average band had they come around later is a flawed argument. Their arrival caused the invention of music equipment that all good concert bands got the benefit from. Had they come out today, their music wouldn't sound like their 60's music. That's like saying Babe Ruth would suck today because he wasn't in great shape. Had Babe come around today, he would have gotten the training benefits modern athletes have.

• Nonsense, overrated? Of course not.

I can't be bothered to go in to detail, but the Beatles were a pioneering rock band, not some manufactured boyband and the simple fact that they wrote their own songs as well as hits for others stands them aside from the crowd, let's not forget they wrote the Rolling Stones' first hit, and who finds them an overrated boyband? Nobody, that's who. Enough said.

• The Beatles Are Important.

Sure, you may not like them, sure you may prefer other artists or you may say that there were more talented musicians around. However, they are important to our music. They changed a lot of things and were true innovators. They influenced everyone and there really is no deneying that. They are not my favorite but they are important.

• So many great songs

I was born in 1970 and I wasn't a Beatles fan until the albums were released on iTines. I mean, I didn't hate them or anything, I just didn't get it - and I also thought they were overrated. When I really started listening, I discovered that a whole lot of songs I thought were from others were actually Lennon/McCartney compositions. The other day something hit me, though. How many Beatles songs did I know before I was a fan?

So I went through the entire discography and counted what I knew just up through high school, before I was really into music. By that time I knew (and liked) 63 of their songs...And again, I was not particularly a fan, nobody in my family liked them, and I didn't have close friends who played them - this is just from radio, etc. I knew some of them were by the Beatles then, but way more than half I thought were other bands.

Sure, there are other bands now that I know better - but they're my favorite bands, and there are none that have 63 songs that would have caught my attention in first listen. When I look at it honestly, no other group even comes close to the Beatles in terms of iconic songs - and at the end of the day it's the sons, not how well they are played, that make a band great.

My Mom thought she disliked the band until I gave her a CD of songs she had loved for years, but had no idea were the Beatles. Now she is amazed. I would be willing to bet a lot of the "overrated" crowd like a bunch of their stuff but don't know it's them.

I know I grew up when they were being played a lot, but still - I don't think any other group has so many songs that are so universally worth knowing.